Statements/assertions that will live in infamy

Started by hbelkins, August 11, 2021, 10:42:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 12, 2021, 11:03:59 AM
Pretty much anything ever uttered by Mike Ballard this last half decade regarding the Old Ridge Route.

Given that I've never heard of Mike Ballard, and when I look on Wikipedia I can't even tell if it's even the same person you're talking about or just someone with coincidentally the same name...
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on August 12, 2021, 11:07:56 AM
Pretty much anything ever uttered by Mike Ballard this last half decade regarding the Old Ridge Route.

Given that I've never heard of Mike Ballard, and when I look on Wikipedia I can't even tell if it's even the same person you're talking about or just someone with coincidentally the same name...

If you look up sdmichael you're get a context on who he is. Basically Mike Ballard is the successor to Harrison Scott in the Ridge Route Preservation Organization.  Ballard requested to be removed from the forum circa 2016 after getting into philosophical disagreements with others in California road community.  Ballard quite famously (in California circles) went on a copyright claim assault on Facebook against numerous California road groups.  Some of the photos he was trying to claim as copyrighted were sourced from the Division of Highways/Caltrans.

Ballard made a new forum account awhile to post about some sort of US 99 historic group was he was organizing.  He also took the opportunity to take shots at a bunch of people in the California road community before disappearing.  Occasionally he pops up now and again to trash people on the forum.  It's actually kind of sad, nobody pushed the guy out of the road community and he killed pretty much a lot of the good will his predecessor had going with the Old Ridge Route.

For what it's worth I had run in with the guy when I did a blog about the Old Ridge Route years ago.  I tried to keep it civil but I mostly gave up on that notion when some of his forum comments on his new account were clearly directed at me.

hbelkins

If you look up sdmichael you're get a context on who he is.

He's the guy I got into it with over lane-splitting a few years ago.

Now that you mention it, I'd rank his assertions about the benefits of lane-splitting right up there with "I-70 doesn't go to Baltimore."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Henry

Who can forget this refrain from FritzOwl?

"The US Highway system is completely obsolete, so I'm going to replace them all with Interstates."
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

TheHighwayMan3561

I mostly remember "sdmichael"  for proposing a SoCal road meet and then angrily dropping the idea when he didn't appreciate the suggestions given to help him with if.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jmacswimmer

Quote from: Henry on August 13, 2021, 01:01:42 PM

"The US Highway system is completely obsolete, so I'm going to replace them all with Interstates."

And on a related note:

"Why [insert four-lane US route here] was never made an interstate is beyond me."
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jmacswimmer on August 13, 2021, 01:21:41 PM
Quote from: Henry on August 13, 2021, 01:01:42 PM

And on a related note:

"Why [insert four-lane US route here] was never made an interstate is beyond me."
At least it's not 2 lane interstates.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

1995hoo

If the latest highly-active new forum member doesn't get himself banned, I suspect "Retard Routes"  might become emblematic of his posts.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 13, 2021, 07:02:52 PM
If the latest highly-active new forum member doesn't get himself banned, I suspect "Retard Routes"  might become emblematic of his posts.

The hyper-focus on Long Island is reminding me of another user who had a similar hyper-focus, but on Virginia :spin:
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Roadgeekteen

30 posts a day my god
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 13, 2021, 07:54:21 PM
30 posts a day my god

You're one to talk. :) (I say that with no malice intended)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

sprjus4

Quote from: Mike2357 on August 14, 2021, 12:05:13 PM
Subway trains can't go 120-150 mph like most cars can though. Every other avenue, and every 10th cross street in Manhattan should be converted into expressway.
Quote from: Mike2357 on August 14, 2021, 02:30:08 PM
But Subway trains never exceed 40 mph, and yes during thr pandemic you were able to go 100-120 mph on even the most normally congested roads.

jmacswimmer

"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

roadman65

Dzlsabe and his Shakespeare like sayings when someone else besides himself derailed a thread.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99I'd be interested in your definition of "lots". Feel free to parse through the statistics. I don't think I'm the life of the party, but I did provide us with our first 500-post day, and have started a host of interesting topics. I'm sorry if you interpreted it as rudeness. ":bigass:" is basically a synonym for [humor] around here, as I presume you knew. However, I was always taught to choose my battles wisely, so I will not argue further about my contributions. I think they speak for themselves.

Same thread:

Quote from: MarfAlso, why did you delete a bunch of posts? At this point you sound like you are trolling us. And no, all the mods do is lock threads and move them places (and to the wrong places often).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman65 on August 14, 2021, 08:50:05 PM
Dzlsabe and his Shakespeare like sayings when someone else besides himself derailed a thread.

Try the Sabbifesto on for size:

http://dzlsabe.com/aboutus.html

sprjus4

Quote from: jmacswimmer on August 14, 2021, 08:46:19 PM
Quote from: Mike2357 on August 14, 2021, 08:04:43 PM
cars and roads should always take priority over public transportation.
I'd argue in many places, this is true, particularly in the United States. It's not necessarily one of "absurd"  statements.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 14, 2021, 09:15:30 PM
Quote from: jmacswimmer on August 14, 2021, 08:46:19 PM
Quote from: Mike2357 on August 14, 2021, 08:04:43 PM
cars and roads should always take priority over public transportation.
I'd argue in many places, this is true, particularly in the United States. It's not necessarily one of "absurd"  statements.

Certainly in rural areas and even suburbs in many cases, but in addition to being an overarching blanket statement, the fact that the statement was made in the context of New York City is what came off as "absurd"  to me.
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

Quote from: roadman65 on August 16, 2021, 07:55:23 PM
This one from Wildwood, NJ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0bV3UxSWvk

When watching that video, I thought some idiot was going to be in the way and get hit.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.