Regional Boards > Midwest - Great Lakes

Original freeway plans for Detroit Metro

(1/5) > >>

Chrysler375Freeway:
Okay, I've been looking over planned freeways that never got built, and one of them is M-53's freeway leaving Van
Dyke and following Mound Road. The only thing that really got built was that massive interchange at its junction with Interstate 696. What would keep such a freeway from being built today, and why were the Mound Road freeway and potential connector to the current M-53 freeway never built? Is it because of perceived low traffic volumes, depopulation, opposition, something else, or a combination of factors? Another is I-275 extending north and reconnecting with I-75. The only things built were the Haggerty Connector, and a widened median on I-75. What factors killed 275 (interstate or state route) north of Novi?

SkyPesos:

--- Quote from: Chrysler375Freeway on October 17, 2021, 10:31:52 PM ---Another is I-275 extending north and reconnecting with I-75. The only things built were the Haggerty Connector, and a widened median on I-75. What factors killed 275 (interstate or state route) north of Novi?

--- End quote ---
Environmental issues

Terry Shea:
http://www.michiganhighways.org/listings/MichHwys250-696.html

Chrysler375Freeway:

--- Quote from: SkyPesos on October 17, 2021, 11:39:20 PM ---
--- Quote from: Chrysler375Freeway on October 17, 2021, 10:31:52 PM ---Another is I-275 extending north and reconnecting with I-75. The only things built were the Haggerty Connector, and a widened median on I-75. What factors killed 275 (interstate or state route) north of Novi?

--- End quote ---
Environmental issues

--- End quote ---
I saw a study saying that drivers circumnavigating Detroit would have had 8 minutes shaved off of travel times if the northern extension was built. Frankly, with the amount of urban sprawl there would be around 275 North today, the time wouldn’t be 8 minutes, more like 5-6 minutes, or even less depending on traffic and the amount of sprawl.

SkyPesos:

--- Quote from: Chrysler375Freeway on October 18, 2021, 12:03:12 AM ---
--- Quote from: SkyPesos on October 17, 2021, 11:39:20 PM ---

--- End quote ---
Environmental issues

--- End quote ---
I saw a study saying that drivers circumnavigating Detroit would have had 8 minutes shaved off of travel times if the northern extension was built. Frankly, with the amount of urban sprawl there would be around 275 North today, the time wouldn’t be 8 minutes, more like 5-6 minutes, or even less depending on traffic and the amount of sprawl.

--- End quote ---
US 23 is used as an I-75 Detroit bypass nowadays.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version