Regional Boards > Midwest - Great Lakes

Out-of-state vehicles on Illinois Tollway

(1/5) > >>

Badger39:
(1) While driving through Chicago twice this weekend I pondered: with the tollways no longer accepting cash, what happens when a car with non-Illinois plates and no account drives though without later going online and paying?  I assume they get a mailed invoice, but what happens if they don't pay.  (Note: I'm legal - with a transponder.)

(2) Are there plans to tear down the manual toll lanes?

TheHighwayMan394:

--- Quote from: Badger39 on October 26, 2021, 04:55:54 PM ---(1) While driving through Chicago twice this weekend I pondered: with the tollways no longer accepting cash, what happens when a car with non-Illinois plates and no account drives though without later going online and paying?  I assume they get a mailed invoice, but what happens if they don't pay.  (Note: I'm legal - with a transponder.)

--- End quote ---

Probably depends on how much they racked up. It's obviously unspoken, but if it's not worth the cost of the labor for tracking someone down, they'll let it go until that plate racks up enough tolls owed to justify finding them and sending them a bill.

Illinois has been the one state I have driven in that puts responsibility on the driver to come to the toll agency and pay their tolls rather than having the driver sit back and wait for a bill that may or may not come.

SkyPesos:
I wonder the same about US license plates using ON 407.

djsekani:
I drove a rental car multiple times on the toll roads near Chicago over the past couple of weeks. Like a good citizen I went and created a Tollway account later, entered the dates and license plate of the rental, and found no pending charges. What do you do at that point?

Crash_It:

--- Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on October 26, 2021, 05:03:24 PM ---
--- Quote from: Badger39 on October 26, 2021, 04:55:54 PM ---(1) While driving through Chicago twice this weekend I pondered: with the tollways no longer accepting cash, what happens when a car with non-Illinois plates and no account drives though without later going online and paying?  I assume they get a mailed invoice, but what happens if they don't pay.  (Note: I'm legal - with a transponder.)

--- End quote ---

Probably depends on how much they racked up. It's obviously unspoken, but if it's not worth the cost of the labor for tracking someone down, they'll let it go until that plate racks up enough tolls owed to justify finding them and sending them a bill.

Illinois has been the one state I have driven in that puts responsibility on the driver to come to the toll agency and pay their tolls rather than having the driver sit back and wait for a bill that may or may not come.

--- End quote ---

There are many signs along the tollway telling you where to pay online.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version