News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Auto Correct

Started by roadman65, June 15, 2022, 03:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

How do you feel about it?

To me personally it comes in handy, but many times it changes words that you need not changed.  Plus writing takes longer as you got to proof read and change their errors back to what your thought is supposed to be.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

abefroman329

It's helpful 90% of the time, and the other 10% of the time is me typing "fucking" and having it auto-correct to "ducking."

hotdogPi

I have autocorrect discipled on my computer because I want to know exactly what I'm taping. I do, however have manually created shirt cuts such as "inde" → "independent", "indi" → individual, "thr" → through (this one misses with my phone because they're shared across my two advices and it's much easier to type the wrong key on a phone than a psychical keyboard), "bec" → because, etc.

On my phone, autocorrect is much more useful, as it's easier to mistype keys, but it always insects on changing the one-key-off misspelling "hone" to "gone" when I pretty much always mean "home".

For some reason, autocorrect doesn't seem to know the deference between its and it's.

What I did in this post is international.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on June 15, 2022, 04:02:42 PM
I have autocorrect discipled on my computer because I want to know exactly what I'm taping. I do, however have manually created shirt cuts such as "inde" → "independent", "indi" → individual, "thr" → through (this one misses with my phone because they're shared across my two advices and it's much easier to type the wrong key on a phone than a psychical keyboard), "bec" → because, etc.

On my phone, autocorrect is much more useful, as it's easier to mistype keys, but it always insects on changing the one-key-off misspelling "hone" to "gone" when I pretty much always mean "home".

For some reason, autocorrect doesn't seem to know the deference between its and it's.

What I did in this post is international.

Well done!   :clap:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Big John

I want it to detect errors and give suggestions, but a big "No" to changing it without my permission.

1995hoo

I have no idea why "its" versus "it's" confounds it so much.

Also, from another thread:

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 15, 2022, 10:24:25 PM
Unrelated to the above (and hence the reason for the double post):

The woman who sits in front of us at Verizon Center always wears jeans that don't fit properly and invariably exposes buttcrack at some point during a game when she stands up. It's become a running joke among our season-ticket group. My wife and I know her name, but our season ticket partners apparently don't and they've taken to calling her "Buttcrack" and viewing her as the team's lucky charm (e.g., "No Buttcrack tonight, we're sunk.").

This has become so pervasive that my phone has discovered it:

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Takumi

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 15, 2022, 03:53:35 PM
It's helpful 90% of the time, and the other 10% of the time is me typing "fucking" and having it auto-correct to "ducking."
It's always irritating when you misspell it, and since the dictionary doesn't think it's a valid word in the first place, it doesn't correct it, even though you've used the word on the device a thousand times.

Also annoying is when you make a mistake so many times the dictionary turns it into a valid word. This happened to me with the word "definitely" , and the misspelling "defintiely" .
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 15, 2022, 05:31:23 PM

Same here. One would think "its" and "it's" occur with enough frequency that it would just leave them both alone, but it seems to love to change it to the wrong one if you don't babysit it.

On the other hand, I do love the sentences predictive text comes up with sometimes:

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US 89

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 15, 2022, 10:07:29 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on June 15, 2022, 05:31:23 PM

Same here. One would think "its" and "it's" occur with enough frequency that it would just leave them both alone, but it seems to love to change it to the wrong one if you don't babysit it.

Yep. This is perhaps my single biggest pet peeve. It will also fuck up "were" and "we're" though not to the same level.

Scott5114

Also "ill" and "I'll". This is a problem when you're talking about a friend who's feeling I'll.

kphoger

My phone uses T9 predictive text technology, so I don't really experience auto-correct per se.  But here's my most frustrating one:

If I begin a sentence by hitting [4][6], the phone comes up with 32 suggestions for what I might be trying to type, but not a single one of them is "In".  So, basically, my phone's logic has determined that I should never have any reason to begin a sentence with the word "In".  On the other hand, it thinks the following are more likely:  "Gm" (5th suggestion), "Iow" (18th), and "Imd" (30th)–all of which I'm pretty sure I've never intended.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

I dunno, have you ever had a discussion about G-minor chords in ¾ of Iowa?

I know you're doing the whole not-smartphone thing, but I could never go back to T9. The sweet spot for technology for me was right before smartphones were a thing, when they had a full physical QWERTY keyboard for texting purposes but before they figured out they could make money spying on you.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 16, 2022, 12:53:04 PM
I dunno, have you ever had a discussion about G-minor chords in ¾ of Iowa?

I know you're doing the whole not-smartphone thing, but I could never go back to T9. The sweet spot for technology for me was right before smartphones were a thing, when they had a full physical QWERTY keyboard for texting purposes but before they figured out they could make money spying on you.

Oh yeah, I have typed "Iowa" in a text message before.  But not about G-minor chords.

As for phones, I still miss the RAZR V3 line.
Male pronouns, please.

triplemultiplex

Phones are constantly screwing me over autocorrecting the words "well" and "we'll".
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

wanderer2575

I don't know who is the author or how many decades ago I came across this:

QuoteEye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea.
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write —
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long.
And eye can put the error rite —
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
It's letter-perfect awl the weigh —
My chequer tolled me sew.

jlam

It's ducking stupid.

kkt

It's a demon from hell.  I'd like to put a stake through it and send it back there.

jeffandnicole

I like my android, but it's auto correct is horrendous. So many times I type the correct word and it changes it to something else.  Or I mis-type a word (thr instead of the is a common one for me) and it doesn't change a thing. 

Big John

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 16, 2022, 07:30:49 PM
I like my android, but it's auto correct is horrendous. So many times I type the correct word and it changes it to something else.  Or I mis-type a word (thr instead of the is a common one for me) and it doesn't change a thing. 
So it autocorrected "it's" to you too?

skluth

I think half the it's/its autocorrect problem is a lot of coders don't understand a lot of the rules of the English language. I'm not blaming those whose first language isn't English; many typically have better English writing skills than most native speakers regardless of how incomprehensible their accent may be. I turned it off. That should tell you my feelings about it.

Scott5114

It's not so much that, it's that the rules of the English language are not very clear cut at all, and often depend on context. It's very difficult to program context into a system, especially while the context is still being written.

Like, consider "I'll" vs. "ill". A human can instantly tell which one is correct because the word after "I'll" is usually a verb and the word after "ill" is usually a noun (consider the sentence "I'll go to the store for my ill grandmother"). But if a sentence is in the middle of being typed, how the heck is the computer going to know which one you want?

kkt

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 16, 2022, 08:37:29 PM
It's not so much that, it's that the rules of the English language are not very clear cut at all, and often depend on context. It's very difficult to program context into a system, especially while the context is still being written.

Like, consider "I'll" vs. "ill". A human can instantly tell which one is correct because the word after "I'll" is usually a verb and the word after "ill" is usually a noun (consider the sentence "I'll go to the store for my ill grandmother"). But if a sentence is in the middle of being typed, how the heck is the computer going to know which one you want?

If it doesn't know, it shouldn't try to fix it.

TheHighwayMan3561

What I find more infuriating about it is when it "corrects" a properly-spelled word to something else by trying to guess that you really meant something else, when 90% of the time you meant what you typed the first time.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

1995hoo

One potential downside of autocorrect is that you get so used to it that you sometimes forget that it's not available in various applications on your PC and you type, for example, "wouldnt" expecting the software will automatically insert the apostrophe. (This just happened to me a minute ago.) Minor nuisance, to be sure, but nevertheless a bit of an annoyance. At least I usually sense it when I make a spelling error as I'm typing on a real keyboard. Not sure why or how, but somehow I usually sense it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: skluth on June 16, 2022, 08:18:43 PM
I think half the it's/its autocorrect problem is a lot of coders don't understand a lot of the rules of the English language. I'm not blaming those whose first language isn't English; many typically have better English writing skills than most native speakers regardless of how incomprehensible their accent may be. I turned it off. That should tell you my feelings about it.

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 16, 2022, 08:37:29 PM

Exactly.  Consider these two examples, and tell me how your phone is supposed to know which one is supposed to get an apostrophe and which one isn't.

1.  It's not so much that, it's that the rules of the English language are not very clear cut at all, and often depend on context.  It's very difficult to program context into a system, especially while the context is still being written.

2.  The captain of the Quindaro Football Club says he's ready to shake the dust from what has been by all accounts an absolute wreck of a year. Its very difficult season ended with a crushing 34—13 defeat yesterday against the Shiratora Warblers.

Quote from: kkt on June 16, 2022, 09:11:17 PM
If it doesn't know, it shouldn't try to fix it.

Are you swiping to text?  Back when I had a phone with swipe-to-text, I never bothered to swipe my finger across the punctuation key for apostrophes.  I just trusted the app to know when the word would need an apostrophe.  So, basically, my app "correcting" ill to I'll is precisely what I expected it to do 99% of the time.  In fact, it would have been rather annoying if it didn't.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.