News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illinois 53 Extension

Started by Brandon, July 28, 2010, 11:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 16, 2019, 09:35:42 AM
Paving everything doesn't solve problems.

Paving one six lane freeway, particularly one for which a lot of the ROW is already owned would be much easier than paving multiple other roads needing widening or other upgrades in its absence.

mgk920

IMHO, nearly all of the fault for the hour+ long commutes ('drive to afford') are local zoning laws in those suburbs that effectively prohibit 'live near your work'.  The farthest along in addressing this Chicagoland quandary is the City of Chicago and the truly massive market rate high-rise residential buildings that have been going up throughout their downtown and near-downtown areas for many years now.

Mike

Revive 755

There was a blurb on WBBM yesterday, and I see today the Daily Herald has an article entitled "Thousands of drivers are cutting through Long Grove to avoid congestion. Residents don't like it."

Brandon

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 06, 2019, 05:48:41 PM
There was a blurb on WBBM yesterday, and I see today the Daily Herald has an article entitled "Thousands of drivers are cutting through Long Grove to avoid congestion. Residents don't like it."

Serves the fucking NIMBYs of Long Grove right.  Fuck them, they made the congestion, they can live with it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

JoePCool14

Quote from: Brandon on December 06, 2019, 06:32:06 PM

Serves the fucking NIMBYs of Long Grove right.  Fuck them, they made the congestion, they can live with it.

Much agreed. Either you get a new highway that actually takes people off the roads or you get those people driving through your town. If people need to drive somewhere they're going to drive somewhere and drive wherever they need to.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

ET21

Oh waaaaaaaa, everyone else gets to deal with traffic they can too. Maybe if they had taken a better look at 53 extending....  :awesomeface: :popcorn:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

inkyatari

Too bad, so sad, sucks to be them.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Mrt90

I'm surprised that they don't just ban turns onto those roads at certain times of the day (see link) which you see all over the place in Lake County, IL to stop people from cutting through neighborhoods.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2819235,-87.8800593,3a,15y,180.46h,90.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgB6oecktviKvUlhKQtjXww!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: ET21 on December 09, 2019, 09:11:26 AM

Oh waaaaaaaa, everyone else gets to deal with traffic they can too. Maybe if they had taken a better look at 53 extending....  :awesomeface: :popcorn:

As Nelson Muntz might said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo

silverback1065

Quote from: Mrt90 on December 09, 2019, 10:33:35 AM
I'm surprised that they don't just ban turns onto those roads at certain times of the day (see link) which you see all over the place in Lake County, IL to stop people from cutting through neighborhoods.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2819235,-87.8800593,3a,15y,180.46h,90.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgB6oecktviKvUlhKQtjXww!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

turn them into private roads.  last time i checked they're public roads, people cutting through are just using a road they also paid for.  :-D

Here is another old thread ....The legislature passed a bill to create as task force to determine what to do with the land.
Daily Herald behind paywall . Tribune wasn't but very short mentions the task force and a push to make it a trail.

Plutonic Panda

Ah yes a trail will do the trick. Another affluent white community is too good for a freeway yet again.

JoePCool14

Quote from: 3467 on June 14, 2021, 05:31:32 PM
Here is another old thread ....The legislature passed a bill to create as task force to determine what to do with the land.
Daily Herald behind paywall . Tribune wasn't but very short mentions the task force and a push to make it a trail.

What a slap in the face to anyone with half a brain. At least build a new arterial for goodness sake!

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: JoePCool14 on June 14, 2021, 05:48:15 PM

What a slap in the face to anyone with half a brain. At least build a new arterial for goodness sake!
I have the next big thing. Park N Walk. Build a garage so everyone at one end of the trail can park and walk to trail to commute.

The picture shows a gravel road . I was thinking yes a long gravel road for the trail.

edwaleni

Sure, build a trail.

A six lane trail with exits for your electric bikes. :)

Revive 755

Quote from: JoePCool14 on June 14, 2021, 05:48:15 PM

Really should be using some of the corridor for another north-south arterial.  Central Lake County could use something that is not a diagonal for most of its route (like Old McHenry, Gilmer, Midlothian Roads) or has a slow stretch through a business district (US 45 through Mundelein, IL 21 through Libertyville).

(edited for spelling)

The Ghostbuster

Would it be possible to expand existing IL 53 from two to four lanes between Lake Cook Rd and IL 83 as a way in lieu of extending the IL 53 freeway? Or would that be shot down just like the freeway proposal was?

hobsini2

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 16, 2021, 07:29:28 PM
Would it be possible to expand existing IL 53 from two to four lanes between Lake Cook Rd and IL 83 as a way in lieu of extending the IL 53 freeway? Or would that be shot down just like the freeway proposal was?
That would be shot down because of the NIMBYs in Long Grove. Long Grove is right at the end of the current 53 expressway.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Revive 755

^ Even if existing IL 53 was four-laned between Lake Cook and Old McHenry Road, it wouldn't deal with the issues on Lake Cook Road and US 12.  Based on conditions without an extension of IL 53 as a freeway:

* Lake Cook needs at least six lanes between US 12 and at least Arlington Heights Road.  It would also help to somehow get rid of the stoplight at Old Hicks Road.
* EB Lake Cook needs a dual left to NB Arlington Heights Road (in the pre-Covid days it could take three cycles to get through on a weekend).
* EB (SB) US 12 needs either a triple left to EB Lake Cook, if not a displaced left turn/CFI design.

Joe The Dragon

US 12 needs to be 3 lanes each way

edwaleni

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 16, 2021, 08:17:19 PM
That would be shot down because of the NIMBYs in Long Grove. Long Grove is right at the end of the current 53 expressway.

I have always said that the part through Long Grove should be below ground level and then covered with a park.

They would never know the difference once it was done.

lakecountyil.gov/4433/Regional-Transportation -Studies
They have all 300 MB of the study. It's like a passive aggressive swipe at Long Grove from the rest of the county. They have updated the site lots of studies and some OD  studies.

I-39

Quote from: edwaleni on June 17, 2021, 09:39:34 AM
Quote from: hobsini2 on June 16, 2021, 08:17:19 PM

I have always said that the part through Long Grove should be below ground level and then covered with a park.

They would never know the difference once it was done.

Then they would cry, "But...... But....... the groundwater will get poisoned!"

They'll always find some excuse to oppose it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.