Regional Boards > Central States

I-49 Coming to Missouri

<< < (2/230) > >>

US71:

--- Quote from: Revive 755 on August 04, 2010, 11:33:59 PM ---
--- Quote from: US71 on August 04, 2010, 09:06:42 PM ---
--- Quote from: bugo on August 04, 2010, 07:12:48 PM ---A TWO LANE Bella Vista bypass?  What is AHTD smoking?  I'm guessing it's crack.

--- End quote ---

Watch them try to toll the thing: no one will drive it.

--- End quote ---

I might, depending upon how high the toll is and how many annoying, uncoordinated, possibly photo enforced stoplights there are in Bella Vista.  I'd be happy to pay 75 cents to $1.50 for a super-two (the freeway type, not the other type many states seem to define) bypass of Hannibal, MO.

EDIT:  In case anyone's wondering, I have never been through Bella Vista.

--- End quote ---

It is against Arkansas law to have automated traffic enforcement (Red Light Cameras, etc).
That being said, US 71 through Bella Vista is expressway quality, but suffers from too much traffic and too many businesses close to the roadway (and too many traffic signals). IIRC, the roadway was built (upgraded from 2 lanes) in the early 1970's. I'm sure at that time, no one expected the high traffic volume now passing through the area. But AHTD is not renowned for foresight.  :banghead:

triplemultiplex:

--- Quote from: bugo on August 04, 2010, 07:12:48 PM ---A TWO LANE Bella Vista bypass?  What is AHTD smoking?  I'm guessing it's crack.

--- End quote ---
C'mon, we're talking about Arkansas, so it's obviously crystal meth.

Hopefully the feds don't pull some nitpicky crap about a discontinuous I-49 for Missouri.
Assuming the interchange with current US 71 gets upgraded, I wonder what the prospects are for a 3di for that MO 249/MO 171 loop that Joplin has?  Looks like a nice little I-249 to me.

ShawnP:
A super two for the Bella Vista Bypass oh lord STUPID!!! Super says 140mph combined accident speeds to me. Is Arkansas purposely planning to build a road to kill people? You have the toll authority spend the money Arkansas toll it and build it right and SAFELY. BTW I see no bridge projects on Missouri's upgrade and there will still be sub standard bridges on their upgraded portion. Plus it if I remember right you can't end a Two Digit Interstate at a Three Digit Interstate so Missouri looks foolish by calling it I-49 when it won't get approval from the feds until Bruce Watkins is upgraded to Interstate standards. Bruce Watkins has been discussed many times here and will only get worse with more traffic from a upgraded US-71 being dumped into it. Why not spend the extra money to upgrade the Watkins and not play along with Arkansas's bastardized plan for a super dieway errrrrrr super two.

agentsteel53:

--- Quote from: ShawnP on August 05, 2010, 12:46:16 PM ---Is Arkansas purposely planning to build a road to kill people?

--- End quote ---

you may be on to something here.

US71:

--- Quote from: ShawnP on August 05, 2010, 12:46:16 PM ---Is Arkansas purposely planning to build a road to kill people?

--- End quote ---

Well, there is precedence  :

The original 1970's US 71/ Fayetteville Arkansas Bypass was 2 Lanes at-grade, including 2 railroad crossings. Within 10 years, it was all upgraded to expressway standards due to all the accidents at the cross-roads.

PLUS just past where the US 71 Freeway ends at Bella Vista (becoming an expressway), there is a traffic signal.

Oh, but let's not forget Business 71 at Pineville, MO either  :spin:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version