User Content > Road Trips

Roadgeek Challenge: North Carolina county-collecting roadtrip

(1/2) > >>

hbelkins:
Mods: Feel free to move to the "Southeast" board if you deem it necessary...

I'm contemplating a road trip to collect all the remaining counties I need to clinch North Carolina, and thought I'd enlist the roadgeek community's help in a little game.

Here's how it works. First, go to http://www.millenniumhwy.net/NC_counties.jpg to see the counties I have visited and have yet to visit. Then, devise a route that will enable me to visit all the missing counties except Transylvania in the fastest and shortest manner.

Guidelines are:

1.) Point of entry into NC can be either US 421 or I-26/US 23 from Tennessee. From the point of entry there should be a direct route to the first unvisited county.

2.) Routes used must be paved and should be posted numbered routes.

3.) Veering off a direct route in order to briefly enter a county, then returning to the previous route, is permitted.

4.) Other than the maneuver listed in #3 above, the route should have as little backtracking as possible.

5.) Four-lane routes are preferred wherever possible, but they don't have to be interstates. Downtowns of large cities are to be avoided.

5.) Point of exit out of NC can be either I-77 into Virginia, or US 421, US 321, I-26/US 23 or I-40 into Tennessee.

This is being posted on MTR, on the Roadgeek and SERoads Yahoo groups, AA Roads forum and the Millennium Highway Facebook page. Post your route suggestions in the appropriate venue where you read this, and I'd like to see the results by no later than Tuesday, 1/11/11. Again, I'm looking for the fastest, shortest and easiest way to collect all the NC counties I'm missing except for Transylvania, which will be the easiest of all of them to grab since it's just off I-26 in the western part of the state and I could get it in a day trip if I needed to.

Have fun, and I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with!

froggie:

--- Quote ---3.) Veering off a direct route in order to briefly enter a county, then returning to the previous route, is permitted. This is called "Froggie-ing" a county by some as a nod to Adam "Froggie" Froehlig.
--- End quote ---

For the record, I'm not happy with this, and from what I recall, only two people (yourself being one) ever really used the term.  But I know that isn't going to stop some from continuing to use the term.

oscar:

--- Quote from: froggie on January 07, 2011, 07:08:43 AM ---
--- Quote ---3.) Veering off a direct route in order to briefly enter a county, then returning to the previous route, is permitted. This is called "Froggie-ing" a county by some as a nod to Adam "Froggie" Froehlig.
--- End quote ---

For the record, I'm not happy with this, and from what I recall, only two people (yourself being one) ever really used the term.
--- End quote ---

It's not as if Froggie is the only one who uses that manuever, or even necessarily the biggest or most notorious user.  In Extra Miler Club circles, some call it a "spinback," which is my preference as well.

hbelkins:

--- Quote from: froggie on January 07, 2011, 07:08:43 AM ---For the record, I'm not happy with this, and from what I recall, only two people (yourself being one) ever really used the term.  But I know that isn't going to stop some from continuing to use the term.

--- End quote ---

I don't remember who originated that term, but I will cease to use it out of friendship and respect for you.

Scott5114:
Oh god, it's like the traveling salesman problem. :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version