News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-465 Indianapolis Construction

Started by wh15395, January 10, 2011, 12:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billpa

Quote from: PurdueBill on December 10, 2011, 11:36:53 PMOne sign on I-65 SB coming into Indy for I-70 EB says "Columbus O." in the old idiom, in button copy to boot.  Long may it live.

I remember one of those Columbus, O signs on Post Rd.  That was in the mid-80's when I was stationed at Fort Ben.

realjd

What's the latest on this construction? I'm flying into IND tomorrow to go to Lafayette and it was still a mess last time I was there in September. I've been taking I74 to US231 just to avoid as much of the 465 as I can. Is it finally better yet?

I'm not looking forward to being at the IND airport the day after the Super Bowl, but at least I'm arriving and not departing like most of the crowd.

tdindy88

All construction around the airport is over at I-70 and I-465. The only construction that's still around is at I-74 and I-465, other than that, it's fine. Although if you are heading toward downtown there are still a few street closures from Super Bowl cleanup.

tvketchum

Quote from: PurdueBill on December 10, 2011, 11:36:53 PM
As far as the Columbus sign, it is sensible inside 465 for I-70 EB to start showing the control city to the east, as 70 approaches the I-65 overlap/mixing bowl area and having the control cities makes it easier to follow your intended route as you approach.  You see Louisville, Columbus, and Chicago (the latter two on the same sign for the duplex) as you approach the southern split from the west, and then Chicago and Columbus separately at the north split when the routes split.  Signing I-70 for Columbus gives people an additional anchor for navigating the successive splits, especially if you are unfamiliar with the area.  ("Okay, I want 70 eastbound, keep following the signs for Columbus.")

Of course, Columbus has been disappearing over the last decade in favor of Dayton.  Old signs often said "Columbus OH" to avoid confusion with Columbus, Indiana which is south of Indy on 65.  One sign on I-65 SB coming into Indy for I-70 EB says "Columbus O." in the old idiom, in button copy to boot.  Long may it live.

Back in the day, the mid 80's, eastbound I 70 control city was Columbus Ohio, and the southbound I 65 control city was Columbus Indiana. So, the I 70 signs did the O after the city, the I 65 signs did IN. As signs were replaced, the MUTCD guidlines were followed, and Dayton becam the control city on I 70 and Louisville for I 65, eliminating confusion caused by the Columbus signs.

ibthebigd

What 465 projects are in the pipeline besides the new I-69 exit?

SM-G950U

silverback1065

Quote from: ibthebigd on April 27, 2020, 11:58:41 AM

SM-G950U

465 between 67 and 65 will be widened to 8 lanes.  on the ne side the 69 465 interchange will be built in 2025.  465 from 86th st to us 31 will be widened to 8 lanes and the 865 interchange will be completely redone, no more exits from the left that wont happen for 8ish yrs though.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 27, 2020, 05:49:57 PM

SM-G950U

465 between 67 and 65 will be widened to 8 lanes.  on the ne side the 69 465 interchange will be built in 2025.  465 from 86th st to us 31 will be widened to 8 lanes and the 865 interchange will be completely redone, no more exits from the left that wont happen for 8ish yrs though.
8 lanes on the SW side? About time!
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

silverback1065

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on April 27, 2020, 09:18:40 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on April 27, 2020, 05:49:57 PM

SM-G950U

8 lanes on the SW side? About time!

yep this will happen just before the interchange with 69 is completed. 

tdindy88

Where is there news about this eight lanes for I-465 between 86th Street and US 31, plus a rebuild of the I-865 interchange? I need to hear more about that. With that and the upcoming project at 465/69 (hopefully not delayed due to the next recession) it will be good to see the entire northern arc finally at eight lanes at least. That could make I-465 eight lanes from I-70 on the west side all the around to I-70 on the east side (with various widths for the southern part.)

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on April 27, 2020, 09:26:37 PM
Where is there news about this eight lanes for I-465 between 86th Street and US 31, plus a rebuild of the I-865 interchange? I need to hear more about that. With that and the upcoming project at 465/69 (hopefully not delayed due to the next recession) it will be good to see the entire northern arc finally at eight lanes at least. That could make I-465 eight lanes from I-70 on the west side all the around to I-70 on the east side (with various widths for the southern part.)

I don't think it has been officially announced yet, they should announce it soon, it's VERY early in the planning process.  I just know it's going to happen in the next few years, after all of the announced projects.  (SR 37 fishers, 4 I-65 Whitestown exits, 465/69 NE Side, North Split, 465 southside widening)   

ysuindy

A few stories today about the northeast side 465 construction along with the I-69 interchange work that is set to begin in "early 2022"

The Indy Star story may be behind a paywall

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/local/transportation/2021/11/23/indianapolis-traffic-indiana-i-465-road-constructiondetails-clear-path-project-schedule-indot/8720305002/?utm_source=indystar-Daily%20Briefing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily_briefing_greeting&utm_term=list_article_thumb&utm_content=1532IS-E-NLETTER65-Subscribers

https://www.wthr.com/article/traffic/traffic-news/traffic-changes-i-465-i-69-interchange-ease-congestion/531-379d24ba-624a-4d66-8850-fa7156a9c9b6

I will be fascinated to see the impact that the closure of the on ramps from 56th and Shadeland to northbound 465 has on traffic.  I often take the collector/distributor ramps there to get around stopped traffic on 465.  Traffic on 465 north slows dramatically climbing the hill from the bridge at Fall Creek.   I've never been able to figure out if it is trucks moving slowly due to heavy volume or dealing with the merging traffic from the 56th/Shadeland ramp.   It is probably a combination of both, but it will be interesting to see how traffic patterns adjust. 

The closure of that ramp along with the closure of the eastbound ramp from Allisonville seems like it is going to push a lot of traffic to 82nd street.  Shadeland northbound should be an absolute cluster. 

silverback1065

Quote from: ysuindy on November 23, 2021, 11:28:35 AM
A few stories today about the northeast side 465 construction along with the I-69 interchange work that is set to begin in "early 2022"

The Indy Star story may be behind a paywall

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/local/transportation/2021/11/23/indianapolis-traffic-indiana-i-465-road-constructiondetails-clear-path-project-schedule-indot/8720305002/?utm_source=indystar-Daily%20Briefing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily_briefing_greeting&utm_term=list_article_thumb&utm_content=1532IS-E-NLETTER65-Subscribers

https://www.wthr.com/article/traffic/traffic-news/traffic-changes-i-465-i-69-interchange-ease-congestion/531-379d24ba-624a-4d66-8850-fa7156a9c9b6

I will be fascinated to see the impact that the closure of the on ramps from 56th and Shadeland to northbound 465 has on traffic.  I often take the collector/distributor ramps there to get around stopped traffic on 465.  Traffic on 465 north slows dramatically climbing the hill from the bridge at Fall Creek.   I've never been able to figure out if it is trucks moving slowly due to heavy volume or dealing with the merging traffic from the 56th/Shadeland ramp.   It is probably a combination of both, but it will be interesting to see how traffic patterns adjust. 

The closure of that ramp along with the closure of the eastbound ramp from Allisonville seems like it is going to push a lot of traffic to 82nd street.  Shadeland northbound should be an absolute cluster.

You're right it's both. the reason it slows down are because of the lack of lanes, weaving and semis trying to get up the hill. Went to a presentation about the job a few years ago and that's what they said from their analysis.

silverback1065

when all of the projects on 465 are done in about 10 yrs the only portion not 8 lanes wide with aux lanes will be the SE Quad.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 23, 2021, 03:33:58 PM
when all of the projects on 465 are done in about 10 yrs the only portion not 8 lanes wide with aux lanes will be the SE Quad.
And that still probably won't be enough  :-|
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

SkyPesos

Speaking of the SE quad, really hoping they fix I-74 just east of I-465 when they get to it. Both lanes from I-465 to I-74 EB end shortly east of the interchange in favor of the two lanes coming in from Southeastern Ave, so the majority of drivers (assuming more drivers enter this part of I-74 EB from both directions of I-465 than from Southeastern) have to change lanes.

silverback1065

Quote from: SkyPesos on November 23, 2021, 06:28:22 PM
Speaking of the SE quad, really hoping they fix I-74 just east of I-465 when they get to it. Both lanes from I-465 to I-74 EB end shortly east of the interchange in favor of the two lanes coming in from Southeastern Ave, so the majority of drivers (assuming more drivers enter this part of I-74 EB from both directions of I-465 than from Southeastern) have to change lanes.

I really hate that INDOT does this, they did it at US 31 on the north side. They thought the higher volume movement was from the surface street when literally no one reasonable would buy this. they are going to have to redo that interchange too that one is a bigger mess!

tdindy88

I'm curious on how that applies with Binford Blvd and the northeast junction with I-465 and I-69. The new interchange design has southbound Binford go around the interchange and then come to a stoplight at the south end with what appears to be the ramp from EB 465 to SB Binford.

But yeah, the southeastern part of I-465 really needs some kind of expansion. The redesigned exits were all pretty good (I-74's problem lies just east of the exit and could be a relatively easy fix) but the interstate needs to be eight lanes at least.

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on November 23, 2021, 09:18:42 PM
I'm curious on how that applies with Binford Blvd and the northeast junction with I-465 and I-69. The new interchange design has southbound Binford go around the interchange and then come to a stoplight at the south end with what appears to be the ramp from EB 465 to SB Binford.

But yeah, the southeastern part of I-465 really needs some kind of expansion. The redesigned exits were all pretty good (I-74's problem lies just east of the exit and could be a relatively easy fix) but the interstate needs to be eight lanes at least.

That signal is there on purpose, it's for people trying to turn left onto 75th st. because the other solution would be an interchange at 75th something indot has 0 interest in  :-D

SSR_317

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 23, 2021, 09:47:06 PM

That signal is there on purpose, it's for people trying to turn left onto 75th st. because the other solution would be an interchange at 75th something indot has 0 interest in  :-D
It for all the people with spawn who attend that private religious school on the SE corner of 75th & Binford. They currently come charging off I-465 East onto SB Binford and have to cross two lanes of thru traffic in a very short space to make their left turns to get to the school. At the public hearing, I suggested they eliminate left turns there, or make them do a de-facto Michigan Left by turning right then build a roundabout on 75th at the entrance to Domakama (formerly Best Locks) to facilitate reversing direction. Of course, they took the cheap way out with a new traffic signal for the ramp junction, which had BETTER be coordinated with the one at 75th Street.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 23, 2021, 09:47:06 PM

Of course it would be beneficial to have a few exits and extend the freeway from I-69, but I agree that will never happen because people will remember about the killed I-169 and won't want to go there again, even part ways (even though if they had it would have eased some of the traffic off I-465).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.