News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

How many miles have you driven?

Started by oscar, February 16, 2011, 04:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

This is coming up in the "What do we do for a living?" thread, so I'm starting a new thread.  (But kind of related to a thread on average annual mileage a year and a half ago.)

As for myself, I'm sure I'm well over 700,000 miles, though probably short of a million.  I have over 193,000 miles and over 130.000 miles on my two current cars.  The two before them, I racked up 194,000 and 180,000 miles (in addition to the 102,000 miles driven by the previous owner of the latter), respectively before they bit the dust.  I've owned five or six other cars, but I don't know how much mileage I put on those.  Plus, I've put a lot of miles on rental cars (much to the rental companies' consternation), but I don't have a total on those.

I've had a driver's license since I turned 16 in 1972, though I was car-less for several years in the late 1970s and early 1980s.  Others I'm sure will have higher totals in less time.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Dr Frankenstein

I forgot how much I've driven with my previous (and first) car, but I got my current car used at 80,000 km, and it's around 142,000 km now. I got it on July 2, 2009.

Take out a sheet of paper and do some calculations... it averages 104.6 km / day (or 38,179 km/year; 23,723 mi/year).

Not counting what I've driven on my learner's permit, let's extrapolate that to August 20, 2008.

I've driven approximately 95,163 kilometres or 59,131 miles.

J N Winkler

I think my lifetime total is around 200,000 miles (15,000 miles on one car, about 165,000 miles on another, and about 5,000 miles on a third).  I have not put very many miles on rental cars, having rented cars only twice (once in Alaska and once in the UK).  I have done some driving, including a couple of longish roadtrips, in other people's cars.  I have had a full driving license for about 19 years.  For several years I was averaging about 30,000 miles annually, but I have done very little driving overall except for short road vacations in the last eight years.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

wriddle082

Thinking back to how many miles I've put on all of my vehicles, I think I've driven around 589,000 miles since I got my license in 1993.  Throw in rental cars and my wife's and parents' vehicles, and I'm probably pretty close to the 600k mark, and should go over it this year.

I'm hopeful that my new employer (my company was recently acquired by Tyco Electronics) will spend some money and get all of the installers company work trucks or work vans so I can stop putting work mileage on my own truck and use it more for normal roadgeeking.

relaxok

I'd love to hear AlpsROADS response to this one  :)

I put about 20-30k on my first car, 50k on another, and 52k combined in my current two cars -- so that's only about 130k.

I lived in Boston for 5 years without a car at all, so that's a pretty big chunk of time where there were 0 miles driven.

yanksfan6129

I think for someone that just received my license in June 2010, I've done a comparatively large amount of driving. On my current car (which I've had for less then a year), I've done about 8,000 miles...which I think is a lot for a someone still in high school.

corco

QuoteI think for someone that just received my license in June 2010, I've done a comparatively large amount of driving. On my current car (which I've had for less then a year), I've done about 8,000 miles...which I think is a lot for a someone still in high school.

That's really good. I think that in the 2.5 years of high school I had a license, I put on 12,000 on my car/2,000 on my Dad's car/500 (at most) on my Mom's car/100 on other random cars, which is what, like 7,600 per year? I thought that was a lot, especially since I had a 12 mile round trip commute every school day. My parents didn't let me start driving to Riggins (50 miles away on sometimes scary mountain roads) until my junior year or Boise (100 miles away on sometimes scary mountain roads)  until my senior year though, so the mileage accumulation wasn't linear.

I got my license 11/26/2003. It's hard for me to believe that I'll have had my license for 8 years in November. After 7.5 years I'd bet I'm at around 97,000 give or take 5,000 (57,000 on my current car, 18,000 on my high school/first semester of college college car, 5,000 on the Colt, 10,000 on random rental cars, a 2,500 on a buddy's Honda Civic, about 4,000 on parents cars, then another 1000 or so on random friends/school/work cars). If you were to log it, the rate of increase from year to year would be almost exponential (I logged 25,000 last year) but I suspect it's going to plateau off for a couple years until I'm earning more money. At this point I'm devoting as much money as possible to driving (probably more than most would find possible), but there's obviously an income limit there.

So I'm coming up on 100,000 if I haven't already passed it. Barring catastrophe, I'll hit it this year.

algorerhythms

Got my car seven years ago with 139,000 miles (hey, it was cheap...). It now has 149,000 miles. So that works out to an average of around 1500 miles per year.

yanksfan6129

My parents have been pretty awesome, overall, in terms of long-distance trips (or at least what qualifies as long-distance for people under the age of 18), of which I have taken several. I have driven around upstate NY quite a bit, and I even drove to Washington, D.C. and back in one day all on my own, back in October. So that has been helpful in terms of accumulating miles. School is about 5 miles round trip each day, and work is 16 miles round trip (which I do about 3 times per week).

Also, I did more driving than anyone I know in my age 16 year when I had only a permit, which meant I could only drive with my dad in the car. Despite that restriction, I drove to White Marsh, MD and back for a road meet, and did countless home-to-Fort Lee, NJ-and-back trips, probably 30 to 40 miles round trip. In fact, I drove almost every week when I had the permit. Some of my friends drove, cumulatively, just five times or even less before getting their licenses. (By the way, I did not include my 'permit driving' in the estimated 8000 miles I mentioned above; The total number of miles driven in the past year and a half is probably around 12000 miles--again, I think that's damn good for someone still several months shy of 18).

Also, in terms of people who have driven many many miles, my dad has driven more miles then any person I know--he is definitely well past 1,000,000 miles. This is a combination of his advanced age (63), as well as the fact that his job entails driving to such far-flung places as Philly, Connecticut, and Western Massachusetts with a high degree of regularity (usually, he'll do two out of those three places in any given week, plus the three other work days he does extensive 'local' travels in north and central New Jersey, and southern NY).

golden eagle

Lifetime, I have no idea. but in my current car, I've put over 35,000 miles on it since the end of April 2009.

Duke87

My car, which I have had since June 2009, is currently at 19,944.something miles. Almost at 20k!

I don't know for sure, but that's probably more than I did with other cars (mostly my father's) in the years prior. I didn't actually get my license until the summer after my freshman year of college, and I went to college in The Bronx so I was walking or taking the subway/bus everywhere. Pretty much the only time I would have been actually been getting behind the wheel of a car during that time would be when I was at home over winter, spring, or summer break. And even then, I didn't get out all that much and combined a lot of trips with my father (I worked basically around the corner from him for two summers and we tended to run errands together). Also didn't help that my best friend for a while decided that she was not comfortable being in a car if she was not driving...

So, yeah, easily more than half of the mileage I've clinched (which is not quite at 8,000 yet... I really need to get out more) was done at least initially with me in the passenger seat, not old enough to drive.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

mightyace

Let's see.

1996 - today (15 years) x 25,000 = 375,000
1992 - 1995 (4 years) x 20,000 = 80,000
1989 - 1991 (3 years) x 18,000 = 54,000
1986 - 1988 (3 years) x 15,000 = 45,000
early years 1981 - 1995 about 20,000 total

Grand total approx. 574,000 miles
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

agentsteel53

577000 and a handful.  not bad for not starting in earnest until 2003.

that's 577000 without an at-fault accident, mind you!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

AZDude

Lifetime I'm probably at about 100,000 miles.  I know I've driven MY car 75,000 miles.  The other 25,000 (guessing on that number) is from when I drove my dads car when I was in high school.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I believe I've driven somewhere around 250-300,000 miles in 20 years.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

xcellntbuy

My fairly accurate estimate is 500,000 miles in the 34 years I have had a license.

Alps

I put about 45K on my first car and this one has 72K on it. Add another roughly 2K miles in the family car and about 7K in the aborted car (not going into details), plus 3K in a rental car, I'll say 130,000 so far. At about 30K a year (25K on my car, 5K on other cars) I'll hit a million miles in another roughly 30 years. Maybe by the time I'm 60!

Bryant5493

My '03 Dodge Neon started out with 10,000 miles when my dad bought it used in 2004; it's now at 139,000 miles, some eight years later.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Jim

I'm looking at close to 400,000 in 3 cars: the '94 Saturn that I took to 135,000 and the '01 Audi that made it to 249,000, and the 8,000 or so to date on my current car.  Plus some mileage in my wife's cars and with previous cars before I had a chance to travel that much, so I'd guess I'm in the neighborhood of a half million in my 25 years of driving.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

froggie

In 13 years (and on my 3rd car), I've logged roughly 344,000 miles.  Also, about 2 years worth of that 13 was spent out to sea.

conekicker

I guess I've done just over 400,000 miles in the 34 years or so I've been driving. I'm currently doing about 12,000 miles a year in my own car, (which is more or less the norm in the UK) and maybe 3 to 4,000 in the firm's pool cars.
Over 50 and thus a grumpy old man. Just as long as you realise I'm right and you're not, we'll get along just fine, OK? ;-)

Eth

My current car, which I've had for a little over 16 months, is currently sitting at around 22,600, thanks in large part to my fairly frequent DC-to-ATL runs.

As for previous cars...
2003-06, I didn't have my own car.  Most of my mileage was probably racked up on trips visiting family in Florida, a roughly 450-mile round trip.  Estimating about ten such trips in that timeframe, plus other assorted driving, probably about 6,000 miles for those three years.
2006-09, had my own car while at college.  Had little need to drive it day-to-day; an average of 20 miles per week probably isn't far off.  Driving was more common during the summers as an intern, maybe 40 miles per week.  Add in two ATL-to-DC round trips and another 3,000 miles or so of family visits.  Total of about 9,000 for those three years, and then an additional 4,000 or so for the last few months I had that car after graduation and moving to DC permanently.

Grand total estimate:  somewhere in the ballpark of 42,000 miles over about 7 1/2 years.

JREwing78

My lifetime mileage estimate is about 350,000 miles in 16 years of driving, or about 22,000 miles a year.

For much of my working life, I commuted 70 miles a day, plus roadtrips to visit friends and attend various events over the years. And it's not slowing down: my current commute is 80 miles a day, plus whatever mileage I pick up handling service calls.

Sykotyk

Between my three cars, various rental cars for major trips, work related, etc. I'd say I'm somewhere around 750,000 miles now.

DAL764

Never had my own car, always been company or parental cars, though I would roughly estimate my total mileage at around 100,000 miles, 95,000 of which were in Germany and only some 5,000 in the US.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.