News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Milwaukee area freeways

Started by triplemultiplex, February 22, 2011, 03:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colinstu

The extension can be found on Page 158 of the FEIS http://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/projects/by-region/se/94ew-study/final-eis.pdf

I personally welcome this extension. I live right off of 68th and would hate to have/hear traffic zooming on Main St all day. That new path would also have no stop signs, compared to Main St that has 3 or 4 stops. Also not in a residential area, so safer for pedestrians and local traffic.

FightingIrish

Main St. is a somewhat acceptable access street between 76th and 70th, but almost completely useless for that purpose between 70th and Hawley. It is strictly a small, low-speed residential street with stop signs. A through street through the Allis-Chalmers property is actually a pretty good idea, but an extended frontage street along I-94 between 68th and Hawley would be really effective.

colinstu

A frontage road would affect a lot of homes in that stretch. Wouldn't fly for a second.

dvferyance

Quote from: triplemultiplex on July 29, 2016, 04:54:35 PM
I don't see any maps of the design changes on the project website as yet.
This strikes me as odd:
QuoteThe preferred alternative provides freeway access to and from the west at Hawley Road, unlike today's full interchange. Responding to concerns from West Allis and Milwaukee businesses and residents, WisDOT will build a new roadway connection between Hawley Road and 70th Street in West Allis, about a half mile south of I-94. The new connection:
-Responds to stakeholder comments
-Connects Hawley Road and 70th Street
-Mitigates the partial loss of freeway access at the Hawley Road Interchange
-Requires the relocation of WisDOT's sign shop on Hawley Road
Seems like it would be an eastern extension of Washington Street jogging north a little thru some former Allis-Chalmers Factory territory and meeting 60th opposite Roosevelt Elementary School.
I find it odd because Main Street already provides this connection a lot closer to the freeway.  Sure it's a residential thru street, but it does go thru.
I think the existing local road system is sufficient to funnel traffic to the 68/70th interchange for those seeking access to/from the east.  Seems to have more merit as a local street connecting the former-factory-turned-big-box-retail-center to points northeast independent of any consideration for freeway access.

At least the single greatest problem with this section of freeway is still getting fixed correctly: the left hand ramps at the Stadium Interchange (and Mitchell Blvd.)  That is what really squeezes traffic through there more than anything.  A six lane freeway would have been tolerable much longer if it had been built without those.
The Mitchell Blvd interchange at I-94 is about the worst interchange I have ever seen. It should have been gone many years ago.

hobsini2

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 04, 2016, 10:41:28 PM
Multi-colored VMS's are scattered about WI (Madison, Appleton, Milwaukee (the spot you pointed out) but they just use the amber unless a colorful shield is needed.  New Jersey Turnpike and Garden State Parkway have them as well and boy do they ever use color (green background, proper font, etc)
These are also in place on the finished sections of the I-90 Northwest Tollway west of Elgin. They show the travel time as white on a green background.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

triplemultiplex

I'm going to try and shunt the discussion about the north end of the Stadium Freeway to this thread since it fits better than the general Wisconsin thread.

Concept 1:

Concept 2:

Concept 3:

Concept 4:

Personally, I like the ones that preserve the Lloyd Street overpass.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Big John

^^ Do they realize they are using a US 175 shield?

hobsini2

Quote from: Big John on December 12, 2016, 08:19:57 PM
^^ Do they realize they are using a US 175 shield?
WisDOT does that a lot in construction zones so I am not surprised that they got too lazy to change the US 41 shield to a proper Wis 175 one.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

The Ghostbuster

Which concept is the most likely to be constructed? If I had to choose, I would pick concept 2. It remains to be seen if any modifications will be made at all.

dvferyance

The north end of the Stadium Freeway is just fine as is. With how broke the Transportation budget is they should be focused on finishing existing projects not starting new ones.

GeekJedi

Quote from: dvferyance on December 15, 2016, 12:59:39 PM
The north end of the Stadium Freeway is just fine as is. With how broke the Transportation budget is they should be focused on finishing existing projects not starting new ones.

I'm guessing you didn't actually read the article...
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

dvferyance

Quote from: GeekJedi on December 15, 2016, 09:49:27 PM

No but my point is why do we keep starting new projects when we still haven't finished others? I would like to see what we started at least finished first before even thinking about doing anything else.

colinstu

Quote from: dvferyance on December 16, 2016, 12:12:09 PM

No but my point is why do we keep starting new projects when we still haven't finished others? I would like to see what we started at least finished first before even thinking about doing anything else.

because the world shouldn't stand still just because some projects are currently happening?

Do car makers stop designing and engineering new car models once they've released one?
"Hey guys, new model is out now. Let's take a 5 year break and start up then!"

Brandon

You're in Wisconsin, not Illinois.  You actually have money.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

dvferyance

The I-94 project down to Illinois needs to be finished. It's mostly done in Kenosha County and I have seen lots of new development and that brings in new jobs. Racine County could benefit too if it would be finished. It would bring more jobs to the region. How many jobs would be created by making a slight adjustment to the north end of the stadium? Absolutely zero.

dvferyance

Quote from: dvferyance on December 16, 2016, 06:47:24 PM
The I-94 project down to Illinois needs to be finished. It's mostly done in Kenosha County and I have seen lots of new development down there and that brings in new jobs. Racine County could benefit too if it would be finished. It would bring more jobs to the region. How many new jobs would be created by making a slight adjustment to the north end of the stadium? Absolutely zero.

GeekJedi

Then you shouldn't comment.

If you had actually taken the time to read the article, rather than just react, you'd find that the city is trying to find ways to pay for it. But, you know, why bother reading...
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

SEWIGuy

The I-94 project down to Illinois needs to be finished. It's mostly done in Kenosha County and I have seen lots of new development and that brings in new jobs. Racine County could benefit too if it would be finished. It would bring more jobs to the region. How many jobs would be created by making a slight adjustment to the north end of the stadium? Absolutely zero.

Well that's not true.

Regardless that's not the only reason road projects are done.

FightingIrish

Quote from: GeekJedi on December 16, 2016, 08:10:58 PM

If you had actually taken the time to read the article, rather than just react, you'd find that the city is trying to find ways to pay for it. But, you know, why bother reading...

Can anyone repost a link to this supposed article? Must have gotten lost somewhere in this thread.

FYI, I don't really see the point to totally reconstructing the Stadium North Freeway, especially when the Stadium Interchange with I-94 needs it more. If the city wants to pay for it, perhaps they should spend the money fixing current streets instead, or find better ways of relieving traffic on Lisbon Ave.

colinstu

Quote from: FightingIrish on December 18, 2016, 10:59:20 AM
Quote from: GeekJedi on December 16, 2016, 08:10:58 PM

Can anyone repost a link to this supposed article? Must have gotten lost somewhere in this thread.

FYI, I don't really see the point to totally reconstructing the Stadium North Freeway, especially when the Stadium Interchange with I-94 needs it more. If the city wants to pay for it, perhaps they should spend the money fixing current streets instead, or find better ways of relieving traffic on Lisbon Ave.

Triplemultiplex uploaded just the 4 designs to this thread. I posted the article to the Wisconsin thread earlier. It's here
http://urbanmilwaukee.com/2016/12/02/will-dangerous-intersection-finally-be-fixed/

It's just a rebuild of the northern terminus.

There's the I-94 E-W project/study too that tackles the core interchange.
That can be found here http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/by-region/se/94stadiumint/default.aspx
It handles 94 from 70-16th Streets, and not very far north or south of the stadium.
They probably kept the northern terminus out to keep the scope of the project down (to make it look less expensive to not freak out the penny pinchers as much who never want to spend a dime).

dvferyance

Quote from: SEWIGuy on December 16, 2016, 08:39:36 PM

Well that's not true.

Apparently you haven't been down there. There is an enormous Amazon distribution center. The Mars Cheese Castle is expanding. I have seen other new development I am just not sure what it is right now. I don't want to hear any complaining the current projects aren't being finished when new ones keep starting up. It makes perfect sense finish what you have started before starting something else. That really should be very easy to understand. The reality is there is not an unlimited amount of money.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: dvferyance on December 20, 2016, 01:49:38 PM

Well that's not true.

Apparently you haven't been down there. There is an enormous Amazon distribution center. The Mars Cheese Castle is expanding. I have seen other new development I am just not sure what it is right now. I don't want to hear any complaining the current projects aren't being finished when new ones keep starting up. It makes perfect sense finish what you have started before starting something else. That really should be very easy to understand. The reality is there is not an unlimited amount of money.

Actually what I said wasn't true was that the slight adjustment wouldn't create any jobs.

And you don't construct projects to their completion before even planning for the next ones.  That is inefficient and a waste of money.  You plan while other projects are being constructed.  If there is too much of a planning backlog, you cut back by either laying off or hiring less planners.  (Which may end up happening if construction projects keep getting delayed.)

My experience is that WIDOT is pretty good at allocating its resources given the boundaries in which it operates, including the political boundaries.  Some random dude on a message board listening to talk radio may *THINK* he knows better, but he very likely does not.

dvferyance

Quote from: SEWIGuy on December 20, 2016, 02:08:17 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on December 20, 2016, 01:49:38 PM

Well that's not true.

Actually what I said wasn't true was that the slight adjustment wouldn't create any jobs.

And you don't construct projects to their completion before even planning for the next ones.  That is inefficient and a waste of money.  You plan while other projects are being constructed.  If there is too much of a planning backlog, you cut back by either laying off or hiring less planners.  (Which may end up happening if construction projects keep getting delayed.)

My experience is that WIDOT is pretty good at allocating its resources given the boundaries in which it operates, including the political boundaries.  Some random dude on a message board listening to talk radio may *THINK* he knows better, but he very likely does not.
Isn't it just common sense that your main priority should be finishing projects already underway before starting new ones? That make sense when it comes to anything not just road building. Let's finish the zoo and I-94 and I-39/90 then we can talk about doing something else.

The Ghostbuster

Let's also find sufficient funding for projects before we start them as well.

Rothman

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 22, 2016, 04:26:22 PM
Let's also find sufficient funding for projects before we start them as well.

Well, anything federally funded requires this already.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.