News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Milwaukee area freeways

Started by triplemultiplex, February 22, 2011, 03:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SEWIGuy

Quote from: mgk920 on November 30, 2018, 04:05:56 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on November 29, 2018, 10:01:38 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on November 29, 2018, 08:47:17 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on November 29, 2018, 07:35:46 PM
Quote from: GeekJedi on November 26, 2018, 07:19:26 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on November 26, 2018, 06:24:56 PM
Milwaukee has had a lot of anti freeway mayors. Norquist was big into getting rid of freeways all together not just against expanding them.

Yeah - he was the one who wanted 94 routed around 894 and turn 794 into a boulevard, if I remember right.
Right which would have been a horrible idea. My point is however because Milwaukee has had a lot of anti freeway leadership is why expansion has taken place farther out of the city but not in the city itself.

A tangent, but this is yet another reason why, IMHO, one of the best things that could possibly happen to the Milwaukee metro area would be for a way to be found to allow the suburbanites to vote in elections for mayor and city council.

Mike

So you either believe that Milwaukeans are too dumb to vote for the people who best represents their interests, or that Milwaukee exists for the benefit of the people who don't live in the city.  Yeah I am being hyperbolic but it's not really all that difficult to see why they take the stances they do.

To me, the observations from the 'outside' tell me that the vast majority of those who actually give a rip about what goes on in the city are unable to do anything about it because they are ineligible to vote in elections for mayor and city council due to their not living in the city.

I used to live in Milwaukee and have many friends and family that still do.  That observation is ridiculous.  What I can say is that those who live in the city oftentimes differ with those in the suburbs about HOW to best improve the city.  The I-94 expansion is a great example of that. 

People love to rip on the mayor, but Milwaukee is a much better place than when he took over.  Many parts of the city now are attracting people back from the suburbs.  The city is actually gaining in population again.  It's actually doing a lot of great things.

triplemultiplex

I'm not sure a bigger (geographically) Milwaukee would improve anything.  I look at similar sized cites (or metros, I should say) that don't have nearly as many suburbs; particularly ones where the city and county governments merged a long time ago; and they seem to have all the same issues and inequalities as the cities ringed by oodles of little suburbs.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

GeekJedi

To me, the observations from the 'outside' tell me that the vast majority of those who actually give a rip about what goes on in the city are unable to do anything about it because they are ineligible to vote in elections for mayor and city council due to their not living in the city.

:hmmm:

Mike

Actually, you mean to say "those who actually don't like what the Democrats are doing in the city..."

I live in one of the deep-red "WOW" counties. The people in those counties don't actually give a rip about what happens in Milwaukee, they just hate to see things like the streetcar happen. Which, honestly, is none of their business. That's like saying that what happens in Appleton affects the rest of the state, so we all should have a say in their government as well.

Nah, that "have a say in Milwaukee" thing is entirely political, and it's even more prevalent now that Dane and Milwaukee Counties helped elect Evers.

The whole reason SEWRPC exists is to coordinate infrastructure through the region. No need to modify Milwaukee politics.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

SEWIGuy

Quote from: GeekJedi on November 30, 2018, 10:03:21 AM

:hmmm:

Mike

Actually, you mean to say "those who actually don't like what the Democrats are doing in the city..."

I live in one of the deep-red "WOW" counties. The people in those counties don't actually give a rip about what happens in Milwaukee, they just hate to see things like the streetcar happen. Which, honestly, is none of their business. That's like saying that what happens in Appleton affects the rest of the state, so we all should have a say in their government as well.

Nah, that "have a say in Milwaukee" thing is entirely political, and it's even more prevalent now that Dane and Milwaukee Counties helped elect Evers.

The whole reason SEWRPC exists is to coordinate infrastructure through the region. No need to modify Milwaukee politics.

Yeah that too.  I hear this stuff all the time and I don't think people realize how condescending it is.  "Don't people from Milwaukee know what's good for them?"

FightingIrish

Was poking around on a few map apps (Google, Apple and OSM). And, for whatever reason, I was wondering how WIS 241 was currently being signed, seeing as the I-41/94 ramps to 27th Street are no more (the future Elm Road interchange that will be eventually be constructed - along with Elm Road itself - will eventually take its place).

Previously, it was presumed that the southern terminus of WIS 241 was at the 41/94 interchange. But, looking at Google Maps, I noticed that WIS 241 is signed down the frontage road to the Seven Mile Road. Granted, it's Google Maps, and iOS maps shows the current terminus at WIS 100 (Ryan Rd). OSM shows it just ending at the old interchange. However, Google Street View (the pics of which I know are  a few years old) does seem to have a different sort of photographic evidence. WIS 241 is indeed signed down to Seven Mile.

WI-241
https://goo.gl/maps/QX8BtjKtCUs

I haven't been around the area lately, but anyone else in that area more up to date on this? Apparently, the frontage road connection with South 27th has been smoothed out, so there is some sort of credibility there. Long story short - where does 241 end nowadays?

MantyMadTown

Quote from: FightingIrish on March 02, 2019, 07:37:41 PM
Was poking around on a few map apps (Google, Apple and OSM). And, for whatever reason, I was wondering how WIS 241 was currently being signed, seeing as the I-41/94 ramps to 27th Street are no more (the future Elm Road interchange that will be eventually be constructed - along with Elm Road itself - will eventually take its place).

Previously, it was presumed that the southern terminus of WIS 241 was at the 41/94 interchange. But, looking at Google Maps, I noticed that WIS 241 is signed down the frontage road to the Seven Mile Road. Granted, it's Google Maps, and iOS maps shows the current terminus at WIS 100 (Ryan Rd). OSM shows it just ending at the old interchange. However, Google Street View (the pics of which I know are  a few years old) does seem to have a different sort of photographic evidence. WIS 241 is indeed signed down to Seven Mile.

WI-241

I haven't been around the area lately, but anyone else in that area more up to date on this? Apparently, the frontage road connection with South 27th has been smoothed out, so there is some sort of credibility there. Long story short - where does 241 end nowadays?

I think ever since WISDOT closed the 27th St interchange 241 has ended at Seven Mile. Once they build the Elm Dr interchange it'll either move there or stay at Seven Mile. But my guess is that it'll move to the new interchange, as you said it will take the 27th St interchange's place.
Forget the I-41 haters

SEWIGuy

Or maybe they'll decommission it since it's pretty useless.  (I know that won't happen though.)

GeekJedi

Quote from: FightingIrish on March 02, 2019, 07:37:41 PM

WI-241

As far as I know, that's been the terminus for a while now. I go by there quite often - I believe that was moved when the construction started on 94/41 in preparation of removing the interchange with 27th St.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

dvferyance

The I-94 frontage roads are already maintained by wisdot anyways. So I think it's good bet the end of WI-241 at Seven Mile Rd is permanent.

SEWIGuy

I emailed WIDOT, and was told they have not made a decision on what to do with the routing of WI-241 yet. 

The Ghostbuster

They'll probably reroute STH-241 onto Elm Road, so the highway terminates at Interstate 41/94. It seems like the most logical thing to do to me.

SSOWorld

Nothing's logical with WisDOT.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

dvferyance

Quote from: SSOWorld on March 05, 2019, 09:37:14 PM
The Elm Rd interchange itself is not logical. I don't get what purpose it would serve. Elm Rd ends just to the west at 27th street and just to the east at 13th street. There is nothing of major significance on either side that would warrant an interchange. If Elm Rd went farther east to Howell Ave I would get it as there is a new industrial park being built there.
It doesn't even go east to 13th street. It really makes this interchange so useless. Even by getting rid of the 27th street exit just using Seven Mile Road would have worked just fine.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: dvferyance on March 06, 2019, 02:58:37 PM
The Elm Rd interchange itself is not logical. I don't get what purpose it would serve. Elm Rd ends just to the west at 27th street and just to the east at 13th street. There is nothing of major significance on either side that would warrant an interchange. If Elm Rd went farther east to Howell Ave I would get it as there is a new industrial park being built there.

There's quite a number of businesses along 27th Street that likely counted on access that the original exit used to provide.  And that area has been growing more and more.  Having an interchange between 7 Mile Road and Ryan Road makes sense and putting one at Oakwood wasn't going to be easy.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: SEWIGuy on March 06, 2019, 03:03:43 PM

There's quite a number of businesses along 27th Street that likely counted on access that the original exit used to provide.  And that area has been growing more and more.  Having an interchange between 7 Mile Road and Ryan Road makes sense and putting one at Oakwood wasn't going to be easy.

I wonder if WIDOT had removed that exit a bit too fast? Did they studied others alternatives like an upgrade of that former exit?

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on March 06, 2019, 04:03:26 PM

I wonder if WIDOT had removed that exit a bit too fast? Did they studied others alternatives like an upgrade of that former exit?

I'm sure they did.  This is all part of the I-94 corridor upgrade.  The problem is that the Root River runs real close to that interchange so an upgrade would not have been easy.   Honestly I don't understand the criticism. 

FightingIrish

Quote from: dvferyance on March 06, 2019, 02:58:37 PM

I think WISDOT wanted to relocate the 27th St exit, as the current configuration was a bit too close to Seven Mile. Oakwood wasn't very feasible, but, with the realignment of the NB lanes of 41/94, and the big chunk of land available to route Elm Rd., This does seem to make some sense in regard to what WISDOT wants to do. Aside from all that, I highly doubt Elm Rd. will be extended anywhere. It's a connection between the freeway and S. 27th St., that's all.

And I'm guessing WIS 241 will terminate at the new exit when all is said and done.

FightingIrish

Quote from: dvferyance on March 05, 2019, 01:23:29 PM
The I-94 frontage roads are already maintained by wisdot anyways. So I think it's good bet the end of WI-241 at Seven Mile Rd is permanent.
Good point. I don't think Seven Mile will be the permanent terminus, but since the state already maintains the frontage road, the temporary extension does make sense. The issue is, counties and local jurisdictions typically do not want to get rid of state routes unless WISDOT offers to swap equivalent mileage on another route. This is what happened in Waukesha County a couple years ago, when the future Waukesha bypass was designated, and WIS 74 was decommissioned, at the request of Menomonee Falls, who wanted to keep the heavy traffic and trucks off Main St. by making it a local street.

Same thing happened in the late 90s in Milwaukee County. The WIS 794 parkway was completed, and in return, WIS 62 was decommissioned and WIS 32 altered a bit.

triplemultiplex

Construction is starting on the I-43 expansion on the north side of Milwaukee, so this thread is getting bumped.
https://projects.511wi.gov/43north-south/full-project-overview/

First step is to prep the shoulders on the NB carriageway to handle all four lanes when they tear up the SB lanes come spring.  Same construction methodology we've observed for many years on 39/90.

Really excited about this project because it will finally overhaul the most outdated freeway in the entire Milwaukee area. I-43 in northern Milwaukee County is bad in just about every way; the interchanges suck, the sightlines are crap at Good Hope Rd, it has inadequate shoulders, and it needs another lane in each direction.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: triplemultiplex on August 17, 2021, 03:50:02 PM
Construction is starting on the I-43 expansion on the north side of Milwaukee, so this thread is getting bumped.
https://projects.511wi.gov/43north-south/full-project-overview/

First step is to prep the shoulders on the NB carriageway to handle all four lanes when they tear up the SB lanes come spring.  Same construction methodology we've observed for many years on 39/90.

Really excited about this project because it will finally overhaul the most outdated freeway in the entire Milwaukee area. I-43 in northern Milwaukee County is bad in just about every way; the interchanges suck, the sightlines are crap at Good Hope Rd, it has inadequate shoulders, and it needs another lane in each direction.

A lot of good in this project.  Not only the expansion to six lanes, which is REALLY needed, but the addition of an exit between Mequon Road and County C makes a ton of sense.

The only bad that I see, is that this expansion should have gone all the way to the WI-57 / I-43 split and not end at WI-60.  That's only an extra five miles, but my guess is that they would want to redo the interchange with WI-57 and that would add some cost.

triplemultiplex

I suspect there is a drop off in traffic past Grafton.  I've certainly observed as much anecdotally when I drove that stretch semi-regularly a few years back.

SEWIGuy

Undoubtedly the traffic drops off the further north you go.

skluth

It's been a few years since I traveled this highway, but I drove it regularly in the past. This expansion is long overdue. I thought they'd upgrade this as soon as WisDOT finished expanding the Silver Spring bend but that's been finished for a while now. Probably don't need to expand further north for now. I never noticed much traffic until I got past Saukville but traffic picked up quickly the further south I went.

The Ghostbuster

I'm glad this project is underway. Hopefully the Interstate 94 reconstruction project between 70th St. and 16th St. will soon follow (it was enumerated in 2020).

jhuntin1

The Highland Road interchange has been talked about for 30 years, so I'm glad that they're finally getting around to it.

Is there any information on how much money WisDOT has allocated for this project? I have to imagine that there's going to be some pretty pricey right-of-way that will need to be purchased to make this work in addition to the actual construction costs.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.