Regional Boards > Ohio Valley

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

<< < (797/818) > >>

Rick Powell:

--- Quote from: evvroads on October 23, 2021, 08:39:38 AM ---Thanks for the pictures and continued updates. I don't post here much, but I enjoy your posts. What would the purpose be for constructing/removing a surcharge load in that one area? Was there a lot of fill in that area they were wanting to make sure didn't settle too much or something?

--- End quote ---

We did much the same thing for a bridge over the Illinois River. The soils under the bridge approaches were weak and spongy, and it was predicted that if we just went ahead and built an embankment and the approach roadway on top of it, there would be over a foot of settlement after the road was built. So we built the embankment with a series of wick drains, and put more dirt on top than was ordinarily needed, and let it sit for a year. The soils underneath were therefore compressed and settled out before the excess earth was removed and the final roadway built, and very little further settlement occurred.

ITB:

--- Quote from: evvroads on October 23, 2021, 08:39:38 AM ---Thanks for the pictures and continued updates. I don't post here much, but I enjoy your posts. What would the purpose be for constructing/removing a surcharge load in that one area? Was there a lot of fill in that area they were wanting to make sure didn't settle too much or something?

--- End quote ---

A lot of fill had to be placed in order to bring the mainline over State Road 252/Hospital Drive. The surcharge was then placed over the fill material to enhance settlement. The goal is to ensure that any settlement which may occur takes place before construction of the road begins.

Here are some earlier photos of the SR 252 construction zone:

Looking north from the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass toward State Road 252/Hospital Drive. This was taken just 16 days after State Road 37 was closed January 2, 2021, in Martinsville. State Road 252, which had intersected SR 37 at grade, runs horizontally across the frame. In the background pile driving was underway for the State Road 44 overpass. Photo was taken January 18, 2021.

The view about four months later. Photo was taken April 4, 2021.

Closer look. April 4, 2021.

The geoform blocks used to form the south abutment of the mainline bridges over State Road 252; looking southeast. Photo was taken May 8, 2021.

The surcharge mound; looking southeast. Crews are now in the process of removing that material. Photo was taken September 2, 2021.

Another early view looking north from the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass. Photo was taken January 18, 2021.

Edit: Swapped out a photo for another.

seicer:
Interesting tidbit about surcharge loads - I had no idea there was a specific term for that. I wonder if that would have helped settle the many, many dips along US 35 in West Virginia.

evvroads:

--- Quote from: ITB on October 24, 2021, 01:49:59 AM ---

--- End quote ---

A lot of fill had to be placed in order to bring the mainline over State Road 252/Hospital Drive. The surcharge was then placed over the fill material to enhance settlement. The goal is to ensure that any settlement which may occur takes place before construction of the road begins.

Here are some earlier photos of the SR 252 construction zone:

--- End quote ---

Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation!

ITB:

Over the weekend I took some more photos of construction in Martinsville. Crews are working long days to move this project toward its conclusion. On Saturday, two asphalt paving teams were going at it, plus work was vigorously continuing to finish removing the surcharge material near the future I-69/State Road 252 interchange. There's still a lot of work to be done, but significant progress is clearly evident.

Photos were taken Friday, November 5, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

Looking northwest toward the mainline from Twin Branch Road, located just north of Martinsville. Paving is now underway on the southbound lanes, both at this location and between the State Road 44 overpass and the mainline bridges over State Road 252/Hospital Drive.

The view from the other direction; looking south.

Looking slightly southeast from the State Road 44 overpass in Martinsville.

Different perspective looking south. In the background, work continues to remove the surcharge material near the future SR 252 interchange.

Looking north from the SR 44 overpass. Northbound one strip remains to paved with concrete, and that work appears to be imminent. On the right is the future northbound entrance ramp from SR 44.

Another perspective looking northeast from the State Road 44 overpass.

Working on the concrete barrier wall about half mile north of the SR 44 overpass. They were drilling into the barrier for what reason I don't know. Maybe for a electrical conduit, but that's just a guess.

Long range view looking northwest toward the northern closure point of the Martinsville segment. And, yes, the guy dropped down. Another team member soon arrived in a vehicle and they zoomed off to enjoy Friday night.

One more looking south from the SR 44 overpass with dust billowing across the work zone.

More to come.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version