News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Ben Franklin Bridge approach question

Started by Revive 755, March 05, 2009, 12:24:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

Aerial photo for reference:http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=39.956234,-75.148705&spn=0.003783,0.010986&t=k&z=17

I've read that a better connection was once planned and canceled, but I'm curious as to why a direct connection from EB I-676 to the bridge couldn't have been done.  It doesn't look like it would be that hard; just a little grade adjustment and take away two of the current WB lanes approaching N 7th.

PAHighways

The reason for there being no direct connection between the Vine Street Expressway and the Ben Franklin Bridge is that the city balked at more of Franklin Square being destroyed for the sake of an interchange.  Although PennDOT doesn't consider 676 going over the bridge anyway.

Alps

I'd like to piggyback a question on this thread:  Had the current configuration been implemented in the 1960's instead of waiting till the 1990's, would the gap be on I-76 itself (the way it had been) instead of I-676?  Or would I-76 have been moved to its present alignment, creating two routes (676 and 176)?

PAHighways

The gap would be on I-76, but PennDOT would have probably moved it anyway to keep the Schuylkill one designation.

PAHighways

Traffic at the Ben Franklin Bridge Approach Studied

The final solution engineers want is a $120 million flyover ramp between the bridge and I-676, but changes in traffic patterns will be implemented in the mean time.

Duke87

Something that seems a bit ambiguous: by "a ramp" do they mean one that will carry traffic in both directions or just from the bridge (which seems to be the focus)?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.