News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstates getting their own number

Started by Roadmaestro95, December 22, 2011, 10:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadmaestro95

The interstate highway system uses a number designation for two interstates that we all know will never connect. Shouldn't they use other number designations instead of repeating them? (Such as I-86 in Idaho and plans for I-44 in NC)
Hope everyone is safe!

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

bugo

Wouldn't surprise me.  Maybe he's thinking of North Carolina 44, which will eventually be US 70, not I-44.

TheStranger

Chris Sampang

Roadmaestro95

Hope everyone is safe!

Roadmaestro95

any comments on I-44 go to that thread
keep on topic here...
Hope everyone is safe!

mightyace

The general rationale behind duplicate I numbers (I-76 in CO/NE and OH/PA/NJ, I-84 in OR/ID/UT and PA/NY/CT/MA, I-86 in Idaho and NY/PA, I-88 in IL and NY) is to keep from breaking "the grid" more than it is now.  All even I-xx numbers between 64 and 96 are used.  So to renumber one of those duplicate interstate numbers you'd either have to make it a 3di or use a 2d number that is way out of the grid.

And, no I haven't forgotten about I-69 or I-74.  Both have plans to join the pieces though it's much more likely that I-69 will be one interstate than I-74.

Of course, we also still have those two copies of I-95!
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

agentsteel53

Quote from: Roadmaestro95 on December 22, 2011, 01:43:19 PM
any comments on I-44 go to that thread
keep on topic here...

you're right.  I'm sorry.  I will only discuss I-366 here.

jake@aaroads.com

Takumi

Yeah, the I-74 extension is really the oddest of all of them, especially since it not only exists in the same state as a US route with the same number (the reason there isn't an I-50 or I-60), but multiplexes with it!
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

vdeane

They probably should have planned for it with the grid.  Personially I prefer the numbers be a little off (as long as its reasonable) to duplicates.  So renumbering the duplicates is in (especially since many of the duplicates shouldn't be 2dis in the first place), but I-74 in NC and I-3 in GA are out.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

surferdude

I-86 begins in Erie County near North East PA and continues through the southern New York and ends is eastern NY.  I can't see them doing this it is very illogical

Mapmikey

Renumber I-82 as an odd 2di number

Put I-82 on current I-84 in the east

Renumber ID I-86 as a 3di

Renumber one of the I-88's as I-92.

Mapmikey

Quillz

Maybe suffixes should just be reintroduced. I personally never saw what the big deal was with having I-80 and I-80N. I don't think it's really all that confusing.

hobsini2

I personally have no problem with duplexes of a single number when there is a great distance between them or they both have an endpoint on the same road. No one is going to confuse I-76 in Denver with the one in Philly unless they are a dope.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

froggie

Considering how many dopes have drivers licenses these days...

agentsteel53

that would be extraordinarily dopey.  the last time I ran into that mistake was when I tried my damnedest to find out how I-495 on Long Island connected to I-495 in Massachusetts.

I was six years old.

jake@aaroads.com

Roadmaestro95

Quote from: Mapmikey on December 22, 2011, 03:49:21 PM
Renumber I-82 as an odd 2di number

Put I-82 on current I-84 in the east

Renumber ID I-86 as a 3di

Renumber one of the I-88's as I-92.

Mapmikey
Actually I'd make i-82 an odd interstate because if you look at it...it really looks more south to north than east to west. I agree making I-84 in the east I-82 and ridding I-86 in the west completely. However, how can I-88 be made I-92 if it is south of I-90?
Hope everyone is safe!

KEVIN_224

Perhaps this a dumb question...but is Interstate 98 in use anywhere?

agentsteel53

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on December 23, 2011, 12:45:46 PM

it is not, and I doubt the western US-2 corridor needs the upgrade.

jake@aaroads.com

Grzrd

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 23, 2011, 12:50:17 PM
In the eastern US, some New York communities are actively promoting the notion of a Watertown to Plattsburgh intrastate I-98 (I assume they envision interchanges with I-81 and I-87):
http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/article/20111221/NEWS05/712219939/0/FRONTPAGE

"The St. Lawrence County Industrial Development Agency agreed Tuesday to transfer $8,511 for Interstate 98 to the Business Development Corporation for a Greater Massena, removing itself from the reimbursement process.
The BDC will become a temporary conduit for municipal and agency contributions made on behalf of the Northern Corridor Transportation Group, which has spearheaded promotion in recent years of the proposed Watertown-to-Plattsburgh interstate." ...

Roadmaestro95

Quote from: Grzrd on December 23, 2011, 01:27:55 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 23, 2011, 12:50:17 PM
In the eastern US, some New York communities are actively promoting the notion of a Watertown to Plattsburgh intrastate I-98 (I assume they envision interchanges with I-81 and I-87):
http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/article/20111221/NEWS05/712219939/0/FRONTPAGE

"The St. Lawrence County Industrial Development Agency agreed Tuesday to transfer $8,511 for Interstate 98 to the Business Development Corporation for a Greater Massena, removing itself from the reimbursement process.
The BDC will become a temporary conduit for municipal and agency contributions made on behalf of the Northern Corridor Transportation Group, which has spearheaded promotion in recent years of the proposed Watertown-to-Plattsburgh interstate." ...

I'd love to see US-11 turn into an interstate. It would be better and faster than staying along the Saint Lawrence.
Hope everyone is safe!

agentsteel53

that might be better suited as I-887.  (I think it's a "loop" because it connects two interstates, even though it does not touch the same route at two points.)

jake@aaroads.com

vdeane

Quote from: surferdude on December 22, 2011, 03:46:44 PM
I-86 begins in Erie County near North East PA and continues through the southern New York and ends is eastern NY.  I can't see them doing this it is very illogical
I said "many", not "all".  The western I-86 has no business as a 2di; I'd move I-82 onto the western I-84 and renumber I-82 either as I-7 or a 3di.  Both I-88s are similar in length to I-476.

Theoretically I-98 could be I-81 (it does follow US 11 after all).  IMO it's more likely that it will start on I-781 rather than I-81 itself.  There are a few other corridors it could connect to to make a longer interstate as well on the US 2 corridor.  Plus the number isn't in use.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadmaestro95

Hope everyone is safe!

Mapmikey

Quote from: Roadmaestro95 on December 23, 2011, 10:50:00 AM
Actually I'd make i-82 an odd interstate because if you look at it...it really looks more south to north than east to west. I agree making I-84 in the east I-82 and ridding I-86 in the west completely. However, how can I-88 be made I-92 if it is south of I-90?

If it is the eastern 88 to be renumbered as 92, think of it as a diagonal interstate like I-24 or I-26 that don't match the grid exactly as-is.  This would have the added benefit of keeping I-88 in Illinois which could be used on US 20 across Iowa if anyone ever wanted to do that and it would still fit the grid.

The western I-88 could be eliminated by I-92 and gridded correctly if you did the real-world unnecessary step of making I-88 part of I-90 which would then have to use I-380, upgraded IA 27 and I-35 to get back to present I-90.  Then renumber I-90 through SE Minn, Wisc, and NW Ill as I-92

I actually don't think many people outside the roadgeek community think about the grid to this extent...

Mapmikey

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.