AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: British Columbia's Highways  (Read 26307 times)

roadman65

• Last Login: Today at 03:14:22 AM
Re: British Columbia's Highways
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2023, 07:11:30 PM »

https://goo.gl/maps/iorgrrE8mcrPcwR3A

https://goo.gl/maps/2fHA9whNqwdfwutH6

Was first time noticing how BC Ministry of Highways or Transportation shields the Trans Canada Highway.

Interesting.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

stevashe

• Last Login: March 13, 2024, 05:15:13 PM
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2023, 07:51:48 PM »

https://goo.gl/maps/iorgrrE8mcrPcwR3A

https://goo.gl/maps/2fHA9whNqwdfwutH6

Was first time noticing how BC Ministry of Highways or Transportation shields the Trans Canada Highway.

Interesting.

What's interesting about it? These shields are similar to what other western provinces use. Are you comparing to Ontario?

bcroadguy

• Last Login: December 07, 2023, 03:08:00 AM
« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2023, 06:50:51 AM »

New shields that have been popping up in the last 1-2 years. I do not like.

TXtoNJ

• Last Login: Today at 03:31:58 AM
« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2023, 10:12:13 AM »

Random question (cross-posted to the Washington thread): Why are commercial vehicles (trucks/buses) banned from using the Peach Arch border crossing between BC and Washington? The only information I can find online is that it's been that way since 1970, but no explanation as to why that's the case. Any insight appreciated!

Because it’s in the middle of a park.

Re the new shields on BGSs - less aesthetically pleasing, sure, but I can’t help but notice they’re better as far as visibility goes

andrepoiy

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:29:14 PM
« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2023, 07:25:41 PM »

It seems to have taken inspiration from Quebec (with the condensed shields)

jakeroot

• 日本標準時

• Last Login: Today at 04:53:27 AM
    • Flickr
« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2023, 12:05:55 AM »

Just noticing that all of those new signs for the 91/17 connector have Highway Gothic cardinal directions. So weird to see new Highway Gothic on an overhead guide sign in BC.

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2023, 12:57:27 PM »

Now if only they could switch away from Clearview for all numbers.  I don't mind Clearview on destination legends too much as long as the font size is appropriate, but Clearview numerals are yuck.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

• 日本標準時

• Flickr
« Reply #107 on: March 08, 2023, 11:26:43 PM »

Now if only they could switch away from Clearview for all numbers.  I don't mind Clearview on destination legends too much as long as the font size is appropriate, but Clearview numerals are yuck.

It's possible. They already specify three different fonts for various situations: Highway Gothic for the "1" on the TCH shield, Helvetica for the vast majority of other shields, and Clearview for sign legend.

stevashe

• Last Login: March 13, 2024, 05:15:13 PM
« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2023, 11:22:21 PM »

It's possible. They already specify three different fonts for various situations: Highway Gothic for the "1" on the TCH shield, Helvetica for the vast majority of other shields, and Clearview for sign legend.

Speaking of which, the numerals for highway 17 on this sign are also in highway gothic! I'm beginning to wonder whether these font changes and the alternate shield design are a mistake or a new standard...

jakeroot

• 日本標準時

• Flickr
« Reply #109 on: March 10, 2023, 06:26:38 AM »

Speaking of which, the numerals for highway 17 on this sign are also in highway gothic! I'm beginning to wonder whether these font changes and the alternate shield design are a mistake or a new standard...

The new Highway Gothic shields do appear in the updated-for-2022 Guide Sign manual, but I don't see any specific mentions of Highway Gothic:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/driving-and-transportation/transportation-infrastructure/engineering-standards-and-guidelines/traffic-engineering-and-safety/traffic-engineering/traffic-signs-and-pavement-markings/standard-traffic-signs/standard-traffic-signs/guide_signs.pdf

TXtoNJ

• Last Login: Today at 03:31:58 AM
« Reply #110 on: August 03, 2023, 10:00:53 PM »

Publication on expansion of BC-1 from 264th to Chilliwack:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/transportation-infrastructure-projects/highway-1-fraser-valley/hwy1-264-highway11/2023-discussion-guide-264-highway11.pdf

New DDI at BC-11! Most of the Abbotsford bottlenecks eliminated too.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 10:19:47 PM by TXtoNJ »

jakeroot

• 日本標準時

• Flickr
« Reply #111 on: August 04, 2023, 03:36:59 AM »

Publication on expansion of BC-1 from 264th to Chilliwack:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/transportation-infrastructure-projects/highway-1-fraser-valley/hwy1-264-highway11/2023-discussion-guide-264-highway11.pdf

New DDI at BC-11! Most of the Abbotsford bottlenecks eliminated too.

Very impressive plan, and very sorely needed. The backups west from Abbotsford into Vancouver are biblical.

I appreciate that this isn't a small-time plan; from 4, up to 8 lanes, plus 99-style bus-running in the shoulder. And massive interchange rebuilds too.

The DDI is pretty cool, I think that's a smart location for one as well. But I gotta say, that 264 St interchange is mighty impressive too. That whole interchange has needed rebuilding for a long time, the on-ramp merges are crazy dangerous (no merge area at all), plus the overpass is strangling Hwy 1.

As a side-note, I find having both an HOV and bus lane on the same carriageway to be highly unusual.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 03:39:16 AM by jakeroot »

dmuzika

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 11:20:33 AM
« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2024, 01:08:18 PM »

Canadian military wages annual war against avalanches in Rogers Pass
Teri Fikowski · CTV News Calgary · Published Feb. 16, 2024 7:12 a.m. MST · Updated Feb. 16, 2024 9:35 a.m. MST
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/canadian-military-wages-annual-war-against-avalanches-in-rogers-pass-1.6771738

Rogers Pass is between Revelstoke and Golden, B.C., where the Trans-Canada Highway and the Canadian Pacific Railway snake through the Selkirk Mountains.

At roughly 1,300 metres above sea level, Rogers Pass receives on average 10 metres of snowfall each winter, with more than 130 active avalanche paths criss-crossing a 40-kilometre stretch of the busy highway.

Since 1961, the year before the Trans-Canada Highway fully opened, Parks Canada and the Canadian Armed Forces have worked together to run the world's largest mobile artillery avalanche control program and Canada's longest-running domestic military operation.

Interesting story about avalanche control in Glacier National Park between Revelstoke and Golden.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.