Ontario's Highways

Started by un1, January 19, 2009, 03:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SignGeek101

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on March 07, 2016, 09:28:59 AM
I have put together a page of photos of the project to build the 412 through western Durham Region.  This is the tolled highway that was formerly known as the West Durham Link, and will link Highway 401 to Highway 407 just east of Lake Ridge Road in Whitby.  The new highway is scheduled to open later this spring:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_407-409_images/407E/Hwy412_ConstructionImages.htm

The link doesn't work...

AsphaltPlanet

Copied from another forum, I'm guessing that's where the problem came from:

Here's a proper link:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_407-409_images/407E/Hwy412_ConstructionImages.htm
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on March 07, 2016, 06:15:54 PM
Copied from another forum, I'm guessing that's where the problem came from:

Here's a proper link:

Somehow quotes got added into the URL field.  I've gone ahead and fixed it in your original post for ya. ;)

AsphaltPlanet

Shockingly, I've uploaded some more new photos.  Primarily these photos detail the extension of Highway 401 through Windsor, through the perspective of Hwy 3.  By in large these photos were taken either in July or November 2015, though I have included a number of photos taken before construction to extend the 401 had commenced:

The start of Hwy 401

Hwy 3 briefly opens up with a wide median at the western-most Hwy 401 interchange.  For a brief period, the eastbound and westbound lanes of the highway straddle Highway 401.

Ramp to Hwy 401 passing beneath Hwy 3.

View of the same ramp as above first passing through the Hearthwood Tunnel, before passing beneath the Hwy 3 tunnel.

Two views at the Huron Church Line intersection, looking east.

Two views looking easterly, just east of the Sandwich West Parkway intersection.

Hwy 3 in the vicinity of the Montgomery Street intersection.

Westerly view east of Howard Avenue.

And kind of a bonus, not in Windsor, this is Hwy 3 passing over the Grand River Bridge in Cayuga.  Until this past year, an old 1920s vintage steel through truss bridge stood at this location.  It was replaced with a new steel beam bridge.  The new bridge was built off-alignment and will be slid into place using Teflon sliding pads.  Construction was supposed to be completed in 2015, however litigation between a neighbouring first nation community, and the government halted construction for much of the 2015 construction season.

The entire gallery can be seen here:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_3-9_images/Hwy3_images.htm
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

SignGeek101

Any idea when construction usually starts in southern and northern Ontario? Here in Manitoba, it's not until usually sometime in early-mid May for "typical" work.

AsphaltPlanet

April or May typically.

Though, construction has been ongoing pretty much all winter on several projects within the GTA, such as the 410 and the 407 Extn.  Obviously, there are limitations in what contractors can do in the winter compared to the summer.

cbeach40

and waterrrrrrr!

cl94

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on March 14, 2016, 07:04:35 PM
April or May typically.

Though, construction has been ongoing pretty much all winter on several projects within the GTA, such as the 410 and the 407 Extn.  Obviously, there are limitations in what contractors can do in the winter compared to the summer.

It has also been a remarkably light winter.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

AsphaltPlanet

A few recently uploaded photos from the 417 through eastern Ottawa.  These photos were taken last summer and represent the completion of the 417 widening through eastern Ottawa as part of the LRT expansion program.  The extra lanes that were constructed have initially been opened as bus only lanes, but will be converted to general purpose lanes once construction on the LRT has been completed in 2018:

View looking westerly from Lees Road

View looking westerly from Riverside Drive

Easterly view from Riverside Drive.  The pedestrian overpass is new:

Signage approaching the Ottawa Road 174 interchange (old Hwy 17)

Easterly view from the Cyrville Road overpass

I'm thinking the highway wasn't resurfaced as part of the current reconstruction since it will be reconfigured shortly down the road.  I'd imagine that once construction of the LRT has been completed, the highway will get a final coat of asphalt to cover all of the pavement scaring from construction lane scaring.

Additional photos are found on my website here
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_410-427_images/Hwy417_p5b_images.htm

Henry

Seems to me that the 400-series highways in ON are the best-designed freeway system in all of Canada, with the Autoroutes in QC a close second. The US could learn a thing or two from their neighbors to the north.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

AsphaltPlanet

I think Ontario does a pretty good job with it's freeway design.  There are certainly lessons that other jurisdictions can learn from the decisions that have been made here, however, MTO definitely pays a lot of attention to decisions that are made by FHWA and various US highway departments as well.  Certainly, various US highway jurisdictions are far ahead of Ontario when it comes to road pricing and HOT lane implementation.

cl94

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on April 28, 2016, 12:27:24 PM
I think Ontario does a pretty good job with it's freeway design.  There are certainly lessons that other jurisdictions can learn from the decisions that have been made here, however, MTO definitely pays a lot of attention to decisions that are made by FHWA and various US highway departments as well.  Certainly, various US highway jurisdictions are far ahead of Ontario when it comes to road pricing and HOT lane implementation.

I've noticed that MTO and NYSDOT share a lot of the same practices. NYSDOT has been adopting several of MTO's practices recently (continuity lines everywhere, speed limit "begins" signage, reflective border, plus others) that other states either have not adopted or have been slow to adopt.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

vdeane

I though the "begin speed limit XX" signs were becoming less common?  I remember seeing them everywhere when the 65 mph zones in NY were new, but now not so much.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on April 28, 2016, 06:37:03 PM
I though the "begin speed limit XX" signs were becoming less common?  I remember seeing them everywhere when the 65 mph zones in NY were new, but now not so much.

They started coming back in the 2010s. NYSTA's are relatively recent (and I know the ones they have downstate are recent). The ones on the Northway went up within the past 5-10 years. The eastern part of the state had zero in the 90s and 00s.

AsphaltPlanet

It's interesting to hear the comparison between MTO's roads and those of New York State.  From a design stand point (not considering signage), I've never really considered MTO's roads to be that similar to that of New York.  To me, MTO roads are much more similar to those in Michigan.

cl94

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on April 28, 2016, 08:14:24 PM
It's interesting to hear the comparison between MTO's roads and those of New York State.  From a design stand point (not considering signage), I've never really considered MTO's roads to be that similar to that of New York.  To me, MTO roads are much more similar to those in Michigan.

The best comparison is probably New Jersey. Driving in the GTA is quite similar to driving in North Jersey, down to the dual roadways in some places. The New Jersey Turnpike and 401 are two of the longest, if not the longest, quadruple-carriageway limited-access highways in the world.

MisterSG1

Quote from: vdeane on April 28, 2016, 06:37:03 PM

I don't know if the NYSTA is technically different from the NYSDOT, but I can CLEARLY remember back when I used to do the trucking run in 2003 to Middlefield, OH (yes I was a passenger of course) seeing speed limit signs that said "BEGIN SPEED LIMIT 65" after we crossed the Lackawanna toll barrier, and the Ripley toll barrier. Incidentally, the past weekend, I drove to Erie, PA (and briefly went into Ohio) and I don't recall seeing the BEGIN SPEED LIMIT signs anymore.

As for design standards, I could be wrong on this, but I could have swore that the GTA freeways were inspired by the ones in Chicagoland....it is in Chicago after all where we can find the 401's father, the Dan Ryan Expressway, the concept that was borrowed there with their express-local system and amplified across the top of (what was then) Metropolitan Toronto on Highway 401. Incidentally, I may have read that GTA freeways being based on the Chicagoland freeways on AsphaltPlanet's site.

The NJ Turnpike may use a quadruple-carriageway, but it is different in how it functions than the 401, I'm not sure if these two roads can honestly be compared myself. Unless you want to make an argument that the 401 Express lanes are the Truck Lanes (which they kind of are) but of course they aren't as the express lanes of course don't have direct exits.

cl94

That is recent. The sign was up a month ago. Then again, checking GSV, Region 1 had them in a few locations in the late 2000s as well. Guess my memory is mistaken. Maybe it's just the Northway that got the signs in 2012? Regardless, it's a nice feature that provides positive reinforcement that helps to eliminate confusion at a speed limit change.

The "begin" signs on the Thruway near the Garden State must have gone up when the speed limit on that section was raised. I don't remember "begin" signs when the speed limit increased to 65 at Exit 16 (can someone confirm this?). Similarly, the "begin" signs on 84 must have been installed since 2000, as the speed limit on I-84 didn't increase to 65 until ~2004, IINM.

MisterSG1

Quote from: cl94 on April 28, 2016, 10:36:39 PM
That is recent. The sign was up a month ago. Then again, checking GSV, Region 1 had them in a few locations in the late 2000s as well. Guess my memory is mistaken. Maybe it's just the Northway that got the signs in 2012? Regardless, it's a nice feature that provides positive reinforcement that helps to eliminate confusion at a speed limit change.

The "begin" signs on the Thruway near the Garden State must have gone up when the speed limit on that section was raised. I don't remember "begin" signs when the speed limit increased to 65 at Exit 16 (can someone confirm this?). Similarly, the "begin" signs on 84 must have been installed since 2000, as the speed limit on I-84 didn't increase to 65 until ~2004, IINM.

It looks like I was mistaken, indeed, when you are heading WB on the Thruway past the Lackawanna Barrier, there is indeed a BEGIN SPEED LIMIT 65 sign, but a similar one doesn't exist in Ripley.....does the legal speed change at toll plazas, I don't think it does in NY but I could be wrong.

If there is anything that has a similar feel in design to something in NY up here, what reminds me of a common overpass on the Thruway you can find at the DVP at Spanbridge Road:

I was thinking more so with the bridge piers, there is no other bridge (to my knowledge) that has this design anywhere else in Ontario, yes I know this is a City of Toronto road and not under MTO jurisdiction.

SignGeek101

http://www.durhamregion.com/news-story/6713632-walk-run-or-wheel-on-hwy-407-in-whitby/

If anyone wants to clinch a section of freeway before it opens (by walking on it), here is your opportunity!  :-D

Based on the article, my prediction is that the 407 will open on Sunday, 19 June (a day after the event). Still no official date though  :-/

rickmastfan67

Quote from: SignGeek101 on June 11, 2016, 10:27:46 AM
http://www.durhamregion.com/news-story/6713632-walk-run-or-wheel-on-hwy-407-in-whitby/

If anyone wants to clinch a section of freeway before it opens (by walking on it), here is your opportunity!  :-D

Based on the article, my prediction is that the 407 will open on Sunday, 19 June (a day after the event). Still no official date though  :-/

Gotta love these kind of things.  I was able to clinch PA Turnpike 576 in a similar way.  Walked/drove the first 2 miles, then was able to clinch the other 4 miles on a PAT bus that was giving tours of the other part. :)  Gotta love being able to clinch a toll highway for free, and before it opens. :)

ghYHZ

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on June 11, 2016, 10:31:24 PM
Gotta love these kind of things.  I was able to clinch PA Turnpike 576 in a similar way.  Walked/drove the first 2 miles, then was able to clinch the other 4 miles on a PAT bus that was giving tours of the other part. :)  Gotta love being able to clinch a toll highway for free, and before it opens. :)

I did that too....the day before the Confederation Bridge opened. Took the ferry over to PEI (the last day they operated...and a last ride!) then walked the 13 km back to New Brunswick on the bridge. Masses of people...so many they were telling you to stay to the right of the centre-line.

Alps

I heard today that the newly opened highways will be toll free for awhile? Three months?

SignGeek101

Quote from: Alps on June 12, 2016, 10:53:47 PM
I heard today that the newly opened highways will be toll free for awhile? Three months?

Yes, because their opening dates were delayed. They were supposed to open last fall, but that didn't happen. To compensate, the Ontario government said it will not charge toll fees for a few months.

Alps

Quote from: SignGeek101 on June 12, 2016, 11:49:44 PM
Quote from: Alps on June 12, 2016, 10:53:47 PM

Yes, because their opening dates were delayed. They were supposed to open last fall, but that didn't happen. To compensate, the Ontario government said it will not charge toll fees for a few months.
ROAD TRIP.
Hopefully details are posted here so I can schedule my annual Canadian excursion.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.