AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Ontario's Highways  (Read 584987 times)

SignGeek101

• Winnipeg sign geek and civil engineering student.

• Last Login: July 19, 2018, 09:05:19 PM
Re: Ontario's Highways
« Reply #675 on: August 09, 2016, 10:33:21 PM »

^ Thanks guys for answering my 410 lighting question.

I noticed on my trip to Grey County a couple weekends ago that they've changed the design of their regional road shields. Also, the photos below show that Simcoe County also changed their design.

Here's a photo from thekingshighway.ca which shows the old designs for Grey County (left) and Simcoe County (right) on old Hwy 24 (photo taken May 13, 2007)

And here is the GSV of what I believe is the same location, taken in June 2015

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.2700778,-80.2328735,3a,15y,30.94h,86.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFNeoJI2nKjRxyLLuwlI8_w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

GSV suggests that Simcoe County switched between August 2009 and October 2011, while Grey County switched between October 2011 and June 2015. I'm surprised I didn't notice sooner, but I unfortunately don't head up that way as often as I used to :-/

You can thank Clearview for the Grey County font change (still beats Helvetica any day of the week). The Simcoe sign really should have the name more clearly IMO.

7/8

• Civil Engineer

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:17:48 PM
« Reply #676 on: August 09, 2016, 10:47:58 PM »

You can thank Clearview for the Grey County font change (still beats Helvetica any day of the week). The Simcoe sign really should have the name more clearly IMO.

That GSV photo isn't the greatest for the Simcoe County shield, so here's an illustration I found from Google Images

I agree that they sacrificed some legibility for appearance, but it's funny how the new version reads "County of Simcoe County Road 124" :)

SignGeek101

« Reply #677 on: August 11, 2016, 09:20:33 PM »

Looks like the ON 69 twinning (and future ON-400) is now open. I found this on another forum: http://northernontario.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=925407

Still not on Google though. If it's not there by Monday, I'll report it in.

chays

• Last Login: March 06, 2024, 12:00:03 AM
« Reply #678 on: August 12, 2016, 11:05:04 AM »

Looks like the ON 69 twinning (and future ON-400) is now open. I found this on another forum: http://northernontario.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=925407

Still not on Google though. If it's not there by Monday, I'll report it in.
Do you know if this is controlled access with any new interchanges?

Chris

• International road enthusiast

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:25:39 PM
    • Flickr
« Reply #679 on: August 12, 2016, 11:36:14 AM »

Yes, they built two new interchanges, one interchange with Highway 64 near Alban and another north of there for forest access. It's basically a freeway. An interchange with highway 607 is under construction as part of the extension southward.

It opened on August 5th.

AsphaltPlanet

• Bagel Technician - H&H Bagel

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 06:27:06 PM
« Reply #680 on: August 13, 2016, 11:21:47 AM »

Last weekend I took some photos of the section of the 401 through Cambridge being widened from six to ten lanes:

My entire set of images:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_401_images/Hwy401_CambridgeCons_images.htm
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

7/8

• Civil Engineer

« Reply #681 on: August 13, 2016, 11:33:32 AM »

^ Nice photos AsphaltPlanet, thanks for posting these!

One question I've been meaning to ask is why the TCB (temporary concrete barrier) looks so "mismatched". They seem to be strange mix of light grey, dark grey and some yellow paint. Is it being reused from other sites (as opposed to brand new TCB)? I quoted 3 of your photos below which show the mismatched TCB along the median.

Also, the first photo quoted below shows the traffic problems on the 8 to 401 ramp that I've been hearing on the radio for months now. I've been using Fairway Rd > Fountain St > Maple Grove Rd > Hespeler Rd to avoid that section. :)

AsphaltPlanet

« Reply #682 on: August 13, 2016, 11:37:33 AM »

^ Those are moveable zipper barriers, not standard TCB (or jersey barrier).  These do get re-used from different job sites, which probably explains why they look as they do.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

7/8

• Civil Engineer

« Reply #683 on: August 13, 2016, 12:40:03 PM »

^ Those are moveable zipper barriers, not standard TCB (or jersey barrier).  These do get re-used from different job sites, which probably explains why they look as they do.

Of course, the distinct squarish tops should have given away that they're zipper barriers. I guess I'm a bit surprised they're being used here, since I didn't think they would be moving the barriers too often. Thanks AsphaltPlanet :)

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #684 on: August 13, 2016, 01:10:08 PM »

Of course, the distinct squarish tops should have given away that they're zipper barriers. I guess I'm a bit surprised they're being used here, since I didn't think they would be moving the barriers too often. Thanks AsphaltPlanet :)

Sometimes, used zipper barrier segments get offered at prices that beat conventional barrier, just because they're too old for a permanent zipper system but they're still functional. May as well try to monetize it.

Transportfan

• Last Login: November 13, 2022, 06:20:46 PM
« Reply #685 on: August 13, 2016, 07:00:20 PM »

That GSV photo isn't the greatest for the Simcoe County shield, so here's an illustration I found from Google Images

I'm the creator of that sign. Possibly "illegally", as I used the real logo, and don't know if it's Public Domain or not. Someone flagged it after uploading it to Wikipedia (on an second older account which thought was closed down years ago) and so I made a modified version:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_numbered_roads_in_Simcoe_County#/media/File:Simcoe_Road_91_sign.png

Surprisingly, the guy flagged that image too as being too similar to the real version. But I uploaded them on the current account along with some of the real ones and haven't been bothered since.

PS: It looks like I'll have to make a Grey County 124 version to add to the Hurontario Street article.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 07:07:51 PM by Transportfan »

7/8

• Civil Engineer

« Reply #686 on: August 15, 2016, 12:27:31 PM »

I'm the creator of that sign. Possibly "illegally", as I used the real logo, and don't know if it's Public Domain or not. Someone flagged it after uploading it to Wikipedia (on an second older account which thought was closed down years ago) and so I made a modified version:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_numbered_roads_in_Simcoe_County#/media/File:Simcoe_Road_91_sign.png

Surprisingly, the guy flagged that image too as being too similar to the real version. But I uploaded them on the current account along with some of the real ones and haven't been bothered since.

PS: It looks like I'll have to make a Grey County 124 version to add to the Hurontario Street article.

Cool! Well I'm looking forward to seeing the new Grey CR 124 shield :)

On the topic of county/regional road shields, I also noticed that Perth county has a new shield design, and I really like it. I took this picture on Friday at the intersection with CR 107.

Judging from GSV, it looks like the new shields started between 2014 and 2015.

Transportfan

• Last Login: November 13, 2022, 06:20:46 PM
« Reply #687 on: August 15, 2016, 11:56:41 PM »

I made the Grey CR 124 sign. Here it is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_numbered_roads_in_Grey_County#/media/File:Grey_Road_124_sign.png

I won't put it in the Hurontario St. article though because the Grey section isn't part of it.

AsphaltPlanet

« Reply #688 on: August 17, 2016, 02:27:38 PM »

Sandy Hill Truck Tunnel (Ottawa to Gatineau) feasibility study:

https://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/documents.ottawa.ca/files/truck_tunnel_feasibility_en.pdf

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #689 on: August 17, 2016, 05:38:53 PM »

MUCH better than what's there now, but it's too bad it still won't be a true freeway-freeway connection.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

AsphaltPlanet

« Reply #690 on: August 17, 2016, 06:00:53 PM »

This was purely an exercise in feasibility.  It doesn't look like they have really given too much thought to the connection at the 417 at this point.

If this project were to proceed moving forward a comprehensive environmental assessment would need to be completed, at which time a better connection to the 417 may (or may not be) evaluated.  If this project were to be built, it's a long way off, and this is far from final design.

7/8

• Civil Engineer

« Reply #691 on: August 17, 2016, 07:26:18 PM »

Thanks for posting the study; it's definitely an interesting read.

I found the section on Wacker Drive in Chicago interesting (Section 2.2, pages 8 & 9, slides 29 & 30 of pdf), as I've never heard of it before. I've always found the idea of a double-deck road to be intriguing. I also like the look of elevated freeways (I look forward to trips on the Gardiner, but I've also gotten lucky with traffic on it, for the most part :-D)

Section 1.1 (on page 1, slide 19 of pdf) raises some questions for me:

The construction of Quebec provincial Highway 5 and the six-lane Macdonald-Cartier Bridge across the Ottawa River in the 1960s resulted in significant increases in the number of motor vehicles on King Edward Avenue and downtown Ottawa roadways leading to Highway 417. In response to the growing demands for both cars and heavy trucks in the 1970s, plans were made for the construction of the “Vanier Arterial”  that would link directly from the north end of King Edward Avenue and the off ramps from the Macdonald-Cartier Bridge, then cross east over the Rideau River and run along a former railway line to Highway 417. This controlled access roadway would offer an alternative north-south route to the King Edward Avenue and Nicholas Street Corridor for vehicles traveling between the Macdonald-Cartier Bridge and Highway 417. Federal and municipal parties involved in the construction of the “Vanier Arterial”  ultimately made an agreement that trucks would be prohibited on that road; this requirement remains in force today.

The northern end of the now named Vanier Parkway, from Beechwood Avenue across the Rideau River to the bridge off ramps, was never built. It was removed from the road network plans of the former Regional Municipality of Ottawa-Carleton as part of the 1997 Regional Official Plan as approved by the Ontario Municipal Board.
As a result, the King Edward-Rideau-Waller-Nicholas (KERWN) corridor remains the main connection and truck route between Highway 417 and the Macdonald-Cartier Bridge.

1) Why are trucks prohibited on Vanier? Wouldn't it be better to have trucks on the better-designed arterial than on King Edward Ave going through the heart of the city?

2) How come the northern end of Vanier was never built? Was it simply too expensive? I don't think the current setup with St. Patrick is too bad (though keep in mind I'm judging this off only a couple days I spent in the area). But it stills seems like a shame to not finish through with the Vanier Arterial plan.

noelbotevera

• Now at a Redbox kiosk near you!

• Last Login: February 14, 2024, 02:22:16 AM
« Reply #692 on: August 17, 2016, 07:34:32 PM »

Quick question: is there any double decker highways or bridges or whatever in Ontario, or even Canada? Because it seems the only double decker structure is the Prince Edward Viaduct.

SignGeek101

« Reply #693 on: August 18, 2016, 10:39:27 PM »

Quick question: is there any double decker highways or bridges or whatever in Ontario, or even Canada? Because it seems the only double decker structure is the Prince Edward Viaduct.

Not that I'm aware. But I could be wrong.

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #694 on: August 19, 2016, 12:16:18 AM »

Whirlpool Bridge is technically half in Canada. :)

cbeach40

• We've got rocks and trees and trees and rocks

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 05:07:32 PM
« Reply #695 on: August 19, 2016, 10:18:17 AM »

Kinda sorta Burlington St in Hamilton (some of which was recently renamed Nikola Tesla Blvd).
and waterrrrrrr!

7/8

• Civil Engineer

« Reply #696 on: August 19, 2016, 12:35:25 PM »

Kinda sorta Burlington St in Hamilton (some of which was recently renamed Nikola Tesla Blvd).

Cool, I didn't realize that Burlington St had a double-deck portion (in my defence, I've only driven it once). I definitely found it a cool road to drive, with large overpasses and corresponding signs like these, and the industrial scenery!

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.2647665,-79.8296652,3a,37.5y,121.38h,91.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soZUSE6vWswI2J8NOiL5JyA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

7/8

• Civil Engineer

« Reply #697 on: August 19, 2016, 09:34:40 PM »

I just noticed this substandard interchange on the 400 at Canal Road. I'm surprised it's even open! There's no acceleration or deceleration lanes.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.0505872,-79.6076419,159m/data=!3m1!1e3

Doing a quick Google search, I found this article:

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/2016/05/05/residents-want-hwy-400-ramps-to-canal-road-saved

Here's part of the article

BRADFORD – Holland Marsh farmers and residents filled the local library's Zima Room this week seeking help to keep the Highway 400 ramps to Canal Road open.

They want Bradford West Gwillimbury councillors to support a resolution and back them up with the Ministry of Transportation (MTO), which plans to permanently close the ramps, once the Line 5 interchange is built.

The locals say the closure will affect both local agriculture and businesses such as the Canal Road Farmers’ Market.

“If this ramp closes on both sides (of Highway 400), it will be significant not only to me, but to everyone here,”  said Celina Singh. “We’d really like your support to take this forward to the Ministry of Transportation to oppose closing these ramps.”  

Singh, who owns the farmers' market, pleaded with councillors.

“We don’t come from a rich family," she said. "We’ve worked so hard to make this farmers’ market work, and now we hear it’s being taken away from us.”

Ward 3 councillor Gary Lamb put forward a motion calling on the MTO to not close the ramps, and to shorten the period of time that Canal Road, between Wist and Davis roads, will be closed during the highway widening.

The current plans call for a three-year closure to cover the duration of construction.

Town council agreed to the closure of the ramps in 2006 after a tragic accident resulted in the death of a mother and her four-year-old son in the frigid waters of the north canal.

I can understand their complaints, but this interchange is so unsafe, when people are going 120-130 on the 400. And it's not like Hwy 9 or (in the future) Line 5 are that far away.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 10:28:50 PM by 7/8 »

jakeroot

• 日本標準時

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:09:51 PM
    • Flickr
« Reply #698 on: August 19, 2016, 10:13:25 PM »

I just noticed this substandard interchange on the 400 at Canal Road. I'm surprised it's even open! There's no acceleration or deceleration lanes.

Well, there is. The MTO just didn't construct any slip lanes (why does the deceleration lane continue past the turn off?). Note, for example, this interchange along the Sea-to-Sky Highway north of Vancouver. There is, similarly, little ROW available for wide, sweeping turns. But they constructed channelization islands to ensure that traffic didn't merge anywhere except into the acceleration lanes. This ensures that vehicles merge at-speed, rather than from a stop. The MTO could easily keep the Canal Road junction open. It just needs to be modified from its current configuration.

7/8

• Civil Engineer

« Reply #699 on: August 19, 2016, 10:28:12 PM »

Well, there is. The MTO just didn't construct any slip lanes (why does the deceleration lane continue past the turn off?).

I guess I should have scrolled farther, I thought they were regular lanes. I believe the deceleration lane continues past the turn off so it can be an acceleration lane for traffic entering the 400. In regards to channelization islands, maybe it would be too tight of a turn for large trucks?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.