News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Ontario's Highways

Started by un1, January 19, 2009, 03:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbeach40

The QEW-Seventh St interchange has re-opened, with a brand new structure and roundabouts at the ramp terminals.

EDITED

With these two new roundabouts, plus the one that just opened a recently at Hwy 7 and Perth Line 20, MTO now has 17 of them in operation. Another 4 are currently in construction, with dozens more being planned and considered province-wide.

Not bad considering that just 9 years ago they had zero.
and waterrrrrrr!

AsphaltPlanet

Some new photos of Highway 401 through Cobourg.  Work is ongoing to widen a short section of the highway to six lanes:

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

SignGeek101

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on December 05, 2016, 02:27:20 PM
Some new photos of Highway 401 through Cobourg.  Work is ongoing to widen a short section of the highway to six lanes:

Did Ontario recently start to use blue km markers along its non tolled freeways? I only remember seeing green and brown (in provincial parks such as Algonquin).

AsphaltPlanet

^ It's just a signage error.  One of a few on this project.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

SignGeek101

Apparently, the tolls on ON 407 and 412 won't start until February. I thought they were to come into effect in January, but I guess this has been pushed back again.

http://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/7047660-tolls-on-407-in-durham-starting-in-february/

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: SignGeek101 on January 04, 2017, 11:57:48 AM
Apparently, the tolls on ON 407 and 412 won't start until February. I thought they were to come into effect in January, but I guess this has been pushed back again.

http://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/7047660-tolls-on-407-in-durham-starting-in-february/

I wonder if they'll pushed back again? ;)

compdude787

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on January 04, 2017, 04:23:21 PM

I wonder if they'll be pushed back indefinitely?  :bigass:

MisterSG1

Quote from: compdude787 on January 04, 2017, 05:36:12 PM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on January 04, 2017, 04:23:21 PM

I wonder if they'll be pushed back indefinitely?  :bigass:

I think they are adamant on doing it now....I took one final ride before tolls go into effect and took these pics of the VMS:

Thunderbyrd316

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on October 13, 2016, 11:09:02 AM
New signs for the Hwy 64 interchange on Hwy 69.  This interchange opened earlier this year:

The full size versions are up on my website:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_60-69_images/Hwy69_p4_images.htm

I notice that those guide signs are not in Clearview. Has Ontario followed the U.S. in ditching Clearview? (I never really cared for it myself. I much prefer traditional FHWA fonts.)

cu2010

MTO never really used Clearview to begin with.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

SignGeek101

From what I've seen so far in real life and on Streetview, no province that uses Clearview has switched back to FHWA. Ontario ran a trial test for Clearview several years ago and I guess decided it wasn't worth it. In fact, some of the trial version signs (a couple of which are on the QEW) have been replaced back into FHWA.

AsphaltPlanet

Some photos of the Highway 7/8 widening project that was completed in Kitchener last fall.  These photos were taken in August, before construction was 100% finished.

The entire set can be found here:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_7_images/Hwy7_p1c_images.htm

SignGeek101

Nice pictures  :)

The ON 7/8 corridor reminds me of that new freeway being built between K/W to Guelph. I don't have any of their reports or any info, and there is no satellite imagery indicating anything (from what I can see, assuming I have the right location). Does anyone know the status about this project?

AsphaltPlanet

^ Nothing significant has really happened on the Highway 7 New project.  A contract was called to replace the Victoria Street bridge over Highway 7/85 which will support the future configuration for the new four level interchange, but I don't think work will start there until the spring.  I'm mot sure when actual work on the project is expected to commence.  I've read 2018, but I've been told 2017, so hopefully sooner rather than later.

Thunderbyrd316

Quote from: cu2010 on January 08, 2017, 10:31:41 AM

I thought I had recalled seeing quite a bit during my "cruising" around Ontario on Google Street View (via ClassyGMaps) but perhaps I was mistaken.

(Update, a couple of minutes later): I just now went around to a few random sections of freeway in Ontario on GSV (via ClassyGMaps) and indeed it appears my original recollection may have been wrong. I saw no indication of the use of "Clearview", past or present.

SignGeek101

Quote from: Thunderbyrd316 on January 17, 2017, 11:46:10 AM
Quote from: cu2010 on January 08, 2017, 10:31:41 AM

I thought I had recalled seeing quite a bit during my "cruising" around Ontario on Google Street View (via ClassyGMaps) but perhaps I was mistaken.

(Update, a couple of minutes later): I just now went around to a few random sections of freeway in Ontario on GSV (via ClassyGMaps) and indeed it appears my original recollection may have been wrong. I saw no indication of the use of "Clearview", past or present.

Below:

Quote from: SignGeek101 on January 08, 2017, 11:16:37 AM
Ontario ran a trial test for Clearview several years ago and I guess decided it wasn't worth it. In fact, some of the trial version signs (a couple of which are on the QEW) have been replaced back into FHWA.

Here is an example of provincially installed Clearview:

https://goo.gl/maps/hX7H5QCzkFN2

This sign used to be Clearview, but has since been replaced back into FHWA as the gantry was replaced (check the older Streetview imagery):

https://goo.gl/maps/Av6FwQYnXYN2

cbeach40

and waterrrrrrr!

AsphaltPlanet

I don't usually post local videos here, but this is probably the best one I've done...

Video of the 401 west through the GTA to the 400 and into Vaughan:

Transportfan

I'm surprised the MTO hasn't put lighting though Whitby yet.

AsphaltPlanet

I'd imagine that lighting will get installed when they finally widen the highway through Whitby.

SignGeek101

This is interesting:

http://barrie.ctvnews.ca/bold-new-plan-to-improve-traffic-in-south-barrie-1.3258856

I'm not sure how warm the concept of DDI is with the MTO, but the idea is being thrown around.

AsphaltPlanet

It would definitely improve traffic flow.  Mapleview Drive is a disaster.

cbeach40

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on February 10, 2017, 06:29:17 PM
I'd imagine that lighting will get installed when they finally widen the highway through Whitby.

Last I heard that is the plan.

Continuous lighting is an enormous undertaking to retrofit on its own, hence why it is almost always installed in conjunction with capital construction.
and waterrrrrrr!

Transportfan

But I would have thought it would have been lit decades ago.

cbeach40

Quote from: Transportfan on February 13, 2017, 10:35:33 AM
But I would have thought it would have been lit decades ago.

The last full scale rebuild of that section was in 1977. It's had some resurfacing since then and the box beam median was replaced with temporary concrete barriers in 2005, but really only surface-level works. When it next gets a full depth rebuild (which at 40 years old is presumably soon) then the opportunity will present itself.

So by the time MTO started continuous lighting systems in earnest it was too new to get it. So by virtue of that it's one of the last to get it.
and waterrrrrrr!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.