News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Ontario's Highways

Started by un1, January 19, 2009, 03:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on February 26, 2022, 12:33:32 PM
Quote from: andrepoiy on February 25, 2022, 10:33:55 PM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on February 25, 2022, 09:21:26 PM
https://canada.constructconnect.com/dcn/news/infrastructure/2022/02/ontarios-first-diverging-diamond-interchange-taking-shape

Ontario's first diverging diamond interchange (DDI) on the QEW at Glendale Avenue is taking shape and it's expected to be open by this fall.

That's interesting, given that the default conversion of any interchange would be a parclo.

Google Maps suggests that it's currently operating as the reverse of most Ontario parclo interchanges, the B4 (A4 is most common). Perhaps that's why they are getting rid of it, too complicated for the locals. :-D

I find this an interesting and rather strange location for Ontario's first DDI, considering it's already a form of parclo, so this will involve removal of some of the ramps. If the main issue is traffic turning left onto QEW Toronto - which is certainly a very busy movement given the outlets - I would think just adding a loop ramp for that movement (considering there's already enough space for it) would make a lot more sense.

AsphaltPlanet

When the DDI was first proposed at that location I think the intent was to reuse the existing structure.  Then somewhere along the way it was decided that the existing structure should be replaced, but they were far enough along with the design ideas for a DDI that they stuck with that plan.

At one point, the interchange between the QEW and Glendale was tied into another interchange between Glendale and the former Highway 8 immediately to the north of the existing QEW interchange.  It's always been a weird interchange because of that.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

AsphaltPlanet

Digital Ends sign for the 407 in Ontario.  This sign isn't new or anything, I just think it's an interesting use of a digital sign:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_407-409_images/407_dv_147-4_east_Aug21_24x16.jpg
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on February 25, 2022, 09:21:26 PM
https://canada.constructconnect.com/dcn/news/infrastructure/2022/02/ontarios-first-diverging-diamond-interchange-taking-shape

Ontario's first diverging diamond interchange (DDI) on the QEW at Glendale Avenue is taking shape and it's expected to be open by this fall.

While checking the area on GSV, I noticed a paint testing area on a stub of York Road that was left as a result of the construction of that interchange:

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

AsphaltPlanet

This is kind of an old photo as it was taken before the northbound HOV lane opened on the 400, but I think the autumn colours are nice.  Looking north on the 400 approaching the King Road interchange from October, 2021:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_400_images/400_cl_37_north_NB_Oct21_24x16.jpg

AsphaltPlanet

7/8

There's some progress on speed limits coming soon: https://toronto.citynews.ca/2022/03/29/ontario-highway-speed-limits-2/#:~:text=Speed%20limits%20on%20six%20sections,hour%20on%20a%20permanent%20basis.&text=Posted%20Mar%2029%2C%202022%2C%207,hour%20on%20a%20permanent%20basis.

QuoteSpeed limits on six sections of Ontario highways will soon be set to 110 kilometres per hour on a permanent basis.

The Canadian Press has learned the increased speed limits on stretches of 400-series highways will be set in stone as of Apr. 22. The province launched a pilot project in 2019 to test the higher speeds on a trial basis.

Transportation Minister Caroline Mulroney will reportedly make the announcement on Tuesday and says the sections of highway were carefully selected based on their ability to accommodate the higher speeds.

Six sections of Ontario highways where 110 km/h speed limits will be made permanent:

• Queen Elizabeth Way —  from Hamilton to St. Catharines
  • Highway 401 — from Windsor to Tilbury
  • Highway 402 — from London to Sarnia
  • Highway 404 — Newmarket to Woodbine
  • Highway 417 — from Ottawa to the Quebec border
  • Highway 417 — Kanata to Arnpior

Two sections of provincial highways in cottage country will also see their speed limits increased on a trial basis. The province will boost speeds to 110 kilometres per hour on Highway 400 from Mactier to Nobel and on Highway 11 from Emsdale to South River.

[...]

Some sections not included surprise me, like the 416, the 401 east of Kingston, the 400 north of Barrie, etc., but at least it's a start.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: 7/8 on March 29, 2022, 12:56:39 PM
There's some progress on speed limits coming soon: https://toronto.citynews.ca/2022/03/29/ontario-highway-speed-limits-2/#:~:text=Speed%20limits%20on%20six%20sections,hour%20on%20a%20permanent%20basis.&text=Posted%20Mar%2029%2C%202022%2C%207,hour%20on%20a%20permanent%20basis.

QuoteSpeed limits on six sections of Ontario highways will soon be set to 110 kilometres per hour on a permanent basis.

The Canadian Press has learned the increased speed limits on stretches of 400-series highways will be set in stone as of Apr. 22. The province launched a pilot project in 2019 to test the higher speeds on a trial basis.

Transportation Minister Caroline Mulroney will reportedly make the announcement on Tuesday and says the sections of highway were carefully selected based on their ability to accommodate the higher speeds.

Six sections of Ontario highways where 110 km/h speed limits will be made permanent:

• Queen Elizabeth Way —  from Hamilton to St. Catharines
  • Highway 401 — from Windsor to Tilbury
  • Highway 402 — from London to Sarnia
  • Highway 404 — Newmarket to Woodbine
  • Highway 417 — from Ottawa to the Quebec border
  • Highway 417 — Kanata to Arnpior

Two sections of provincial highways in cottage country will also see their speed limits increased on a trial basis. The province will boost speeds to 110 kilometres per hour on Highway 400 from Mactier to Nobel and on Highway 11 from Emsdale to South River.

[...]

Some sections not included surprise me, like the 416, the 401 east of Kingston, the 400 north of Barrie, etc., but at least it's a start.

Good. Hopefully Québec follows suit.
—Mr. Thwomp

andrepoiy

Just like when it just opened! haha.

I wonder if they'll put up new perma signs tho

If anyone has been in the area, have you noticed higher traffic volumes on 412/418? How much higher?

LilianaUwU

—Mr. Thwomp

skluth

Quote from: LilianaUwU on April 07, 2022, 02:02:49 PM
Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on April 07, 2022, 01:50:17 PM
Signs for the now toll free 412 from the 401:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_401_images/401_dv_404-5_east_Apr21_24x16.jpg

I can see an error: "SAN" should be "SANS".
What? You've never heard of the famous Spanish saint, San Péage, the patron saint of highway rest areas?

cbeach40

Quote from: andrepoiy on April 07, 2022, 02:02:38 PM

Like replace the whole sign board? Like, thirty years unless there's a structural issue. Otherwise just overlays.
and waterrrrrrr!

andrepoiy

Quote from: cbeach40 on April 07, 2022, 03:44:48 PM
Quote from: andrepoiy on April 07, 2022, 02:02:38 PM

Like replace the whole sign board? Like, thirty years unless there's a structural issue. Otherwise just overlays.

Ah I see. That will annoy me to no end (since the shields are offset...) What about the blue signs and reassurance markers on the freeway itself??

7/8

I'd be curious to know if the tolls collected recouped the cost of the gantries and signage changes on the 412 and 418. If so, that would make me feel a bit about this decision (though I'd still prefer keeping the revenue stream for the government).

AsphaltPlanet

Two views looking westerly from the Brimley Road overpass in Scarborough towards the construction through Kennedy Road.  The express lanes have been shifted to the north to accommodate bridge and pavement reconstruction.  As part of this work, the westbound collector to express transfer will be moved from west of the interchange at Kennedy to east of it, and an additional westbound collector lane will be added from east of Markham Road to Kennedy.

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_401_images/401_cl_381_west_WB_Apr21_24x16.jpg

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_401_images/401_cl_381_west_WB_t_Apr21_24x16.jpg

andrepoiy

It's a bit difficult to visualize the changes without a map: does one exist?

AsphaltPlanet

Just another photo of the 401 through North York.  The early evening light was really soft, so even though I've taken several photos from this location previously, I thought I'd try again:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_401_images/401_cl_374_west_WB_Apr21_24x16.jpg

andrepoiy

LilianaUwU

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on April 18, 2022, 10:26:12 PM
Photos of the signs approaching the Freeman interchange along the Toronto-bound QEW:
(images clipped)

How ironic that the Freeman interchange involves a toll road.
—Mr. Thwomp

AsphaltPlanet

At one time all of the signs approaching this interchange from this direction were clearview. Several years after the signs were installed the province replaced the old aluminum tapered leg signs at this interchange.  The clearview signs were replaced at that time with the highway gothic font that you see here.

andrepoiy

I'm quite glad that the MTO didn't like Clearview haha.

City of Toronto on the other hand? Smh.....

AsphaltPlanet

Toronto's expressway signage is awful regardless of what font they use.

chays

Curious as to why Highway 11's exits are not numbered between Gravenhurst and Orillia, and also between Orillia and Highway 400. Are there plans to number these eventually? I also notice that Highway 69's exits aren't numbered north of the French River

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.