Regional Boards > Ohio Valley

US 641

(1/5) > >>

Grzrd:

--- Quote from: Grzrd on January 05, 2012, 02:50:49 PM ---(page 8/13 of pdf):
http://www.tn.gov/ecd/pdf/Regiional_Strategic_Plans/Northwest.pdf

--- Quote ---...ECD staff and regional partners will develop long-term strategies for leveraging the completion of
several large projects ... TDOT will work to ... plan and complete Highway 641 to Kentucky ...

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
(above quote from "I-69 in TN" thread on Southeast page)

It looks like both Kentucky and Tennessee have big long-term plans for US 641.  Kentucky has started work on an upgrade to US 641 from Marion to I-24/69, with further upgrades planned in the near future:

--- Quote ---Gov. Steve Beshear participated in a ground breaking Wednesday for reconstructing a section of U.S. 641 south of Marion in Crittenden County.
When completed, the 16-mile, $109 million project will result in a new four-lane road from Marion to Interstate 24/Interstate 69 near Eddyville.
The first phase of the U.S. 641 extension project, which is just beginning, involves building a new four-lane, 5.5-mile-long road from Marion in Crittenden County to Fredonia in Caldwell County. Paving could begin in late 2014 or early 2015, according to the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet.
Construction on the second phase, from Fredonia to near Eddyville, is projected to begin sometime after 2018 under the governor's proposed new six-year road plan, which is pending approval by the Kentucky General Assembly.

--- End quote ---

It will take Tennessee a little longer to get going with their plans ...

EDIT

This article has a photo of the groundbreaking ceremony, which did not take place at the actual construction site:

--- Quote ---In a brief ceremony Wednesday morning, Gov. Steve Beshear formally dedicated construction of the new U.S. 641 that will eventually tie Marion to Interstate 69 .... The governor did not visit the primary site of construction in Crayne, but instead made his remarks christening the four-lane road after touching down in a state helicopter and traveling to the Ed-Tech Center in Marion. The center is about a mile from where the new U.S. 641 will tie into the existing corridor .... Beshear, just weeks into his second term, has been in office during the critical phases of securing money to ensure construction of this first leg of U.S. 641 to Fredonia. The second leg, from Fredonia to I-69, is still awaiting property acquisitions and a determined route, but the governor assured the dozens in attendance Wednesday that the project would get finished.

--- End quote ---

hbelkins:
I've long-called this USeless 641 because it doesn't touch its parent, is less than 300 miles long, and is not really a major route.

To combine the US 641 and I-69 subjects, I have never disagreed with the decision to route I-69 in Kentucky along the WK and Pennyrile parkways. The most direct route from Paducah to Henderson is US 60, not I-24 and the parkways. There have been a few upgrades to US 60 in the western part of the state, and completion of this improved US 641 would probably mean the shortest way to get to Evansville/Henderson from Paducah would be to take this new US 641 up to US 60 and then US 60 northeast. I haven't run a mileage comparison, but I'd think the all-parkway routing would be significantly longer.

It reminds me of the "new terrain vs. US 41/I-70" debate in Indiana.

Edited to fix a typo.

rickmastfan67:

--- Quote from: hbelkins on February 17, 2012, 10:07:19 AM ---I haven't run a mileage comparison, but I'd think the all-parkway routing would be significantly longer.

--- End quote ---

According to Google, Downtown Paducah to Downtown Henderson via US-60 is 96.6 miles and would take 1:57 hours.  If you go via the I-24/I-69/Parkways, it would be 120 miles and take 2:04 hours.

So, a little more than 23 miles longer to take the Interstates/Parkways, but only a ~7 minute difference on time.  IMO, not worth the time to build a new Interstate alignment when you could just upgrade sections of the Parkways to Interstate standards.

hbelkins:

--- Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 20, 2012, 03:20:20 AM ---So, a little more than 23 miles longer to take the Interstates/Parkways, but only a ~7 minute difference on time.  IMO, not worth the time to build a new Interstate alignment when you could just upgrade sections of the Parkways to Interstate standards.

--- End quote ---

Didn't they make the same arguments in Indiana concerning new terrain vs. US 41/I-70?

sr641:
If they're going to make a US 641 freeway to Marion, they should make a US 60 freeway from Marion to Henderson.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version