News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SEWIGuy

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 11, 2021, 12:10:51 AM
Quote from: Crash_It on October 10, 2021, 08:51:00 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on October 10, 2021, 07:44:42 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on October 10, 2021, 04:45:40 PM
Anyone have any idea why the *#@#$ I65 is so congested today through most of the state? Ruined my plans today.
There's a reason why a lot of us on this forum is calling it to be 6 laned, at least the Indy to Chicago section.

Seems that more of I55 in Illinois is 6 laned than 65 through IN. I've never experienced this before of all the few times I've been to Indy this year. Next time it happens I'll probably take 31 instead or even 41.
Us 41 to 52 is an alternative from Chicago to Indy. It's 4 laned the entire way as an added bonus.

But is still going to take about 30 minutes longer.

Crash_It

Quote from: SEWIGuy on October 11, 2021, 09:17:09 AM
Anyone have any idea why the *#@#$ I65 is so congested today through most of the state? Ruined my plans today.
There's a reason why a lot of us on this forum is calling it to be 6 laned, at least the Indy to Chicago section.

Seems that more of I55 in Illinois is 6 laned than 65 through IN. I've never experienced this before of all the few times I've been to Indy this year. Next time it happens I'll probably take 31 instead or even 41.
Us 41 to 52 is an alternative from Chicago to Indy. It's 4 laned the entire way as an added bonus.

Better than the congestion on 65. Took me 6 hours to get to Indy.

FixThe74Sign

INDOT is finally doing something about the truck traffic downtown during the North Split project. Weight limits are being imposed on the entrance and exit ramps.

https://northsplit.com/weight-restriction-in-place-on-i-65-i-70-exit-ramps-in-downtown-indianapolis/

silverback1065

Quote from: FixThe74Sign on October 11, 2021, 02:12:42 PM
INDOT is finally doing something about the truck traffic downtown during the North Split project. Weight limits are being imposed on the entrance and exit ramps.

https://northsplit.com/weight-restriction-in-place-on-i-65-i-70-exit-ramps-in-downtown-indianapolis/

yep these signs were placed saturday night.

mukade

I always wondered which of these two Interstates had more miles six-laned. From a quick look at Google Maps, it looks like I-55 has about 97 miles of six lane highway accounting for 33% of the length, but I don't know if IDOT has any current widening projects making what GMaps shows out of date.

10   I-255-I-70 split
10   IL 104 - B-55/I-72W
23   MM 104 I-155
10   I-74 S. split-MM167
44   I-80-LSD

Including the two sections under construction on I-65 in Indiana, I count at least 113 miles of six-laned highway. I am not sure if there is another section under construction in Lafayette so that isn't counted. I-65 is about 262 miles in the state making 43% six lanes.

16   Ky line-Memphis
18   US 50-SR 46
33   SR 44-I-465W
17   I-865-SR 47
7   SR 38-SR 25
22   SR 2-I-90

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: mukade on October 11, 2021, 06:58:56 PM

I always wondered which of these two Interstates had more miles six-laned. From a quick look at Google Maps, it looks like I-55 has about 97 miles of six lane highway accounting for 33% of the length, but I don't know if IDOT has any current widening projects making what GMaps shows out of date.

10   I-255-I-70 split
10   IL 104 - B-55/I-72W
23   MM 104 I-155
10   I-74 S. split-MM167
44   I-80-LSD

Including the two sections under construction on I-65 in Indiana, I count at least 113 miles of six-laned highway. I am not sure if there is another section under construction in Lafayette so that isn't counted. I-65 is about 262 miles in the state making 43% six lanes.

16   Ky line-Memphis
18   US 50-SR 46
33   SR 44-I-465W
17   I-865-SR 47
7   SR 38-SR 25
22   SR 2-I-90

IN 25-IN 43 is under construction.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

mukade

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 11, 2021, 07:19:35 PM

10   I-255-I-70 split
10   IL 104 - B-55/I-72W
23   MM 104 I-155
10   I-74 S. split-MM167
44   I-80-LSD

16   Ky line-Memphis
18   US 50-SR 46
33   SR 44-I-465W
17   I-865-SR 47
7   SR 38-SR 25
22   SR 2-I-90

IN 25-IN 43 is under construction.

So 44.3% and 116 miles on I-65 in Indiana:

16   Ky line-Memphis
18   US 50-SR 46
33   SR 44-I-465W
17   I-865-SR 47
10   SR 38-SR 25
22   SR 2-I-90

westerninterloper

Quote from: SEWIGuy on October 11, 2021, 09:17:09 AM

I was surprised how much longer...I thought 41 to 63 to 74 might be comparable, but it is an hour longer (4) than I-65 (3).
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

Revive 755

The only interstate widening projects actively in construction by IDOT are a section of I-57 north of Marion, some of I-74 with the Mississippi River bridge replacements, and maybe a little bit of I-90 near IL 171.  In the early planning stages are filling the gap on I-55 through Springfield, a little bit of widening on I-80 on Joliet, and maybe a small portion of I-39 between I-90 and the western interchange with US 20.

(edited due to recalling other projects after posting)

NWI_Irish96

There are a couple things that need to fall into place yet, but I'm tentatively scheduled to take a 2 night trip October 30-November 1 that would finish off the 720ish miles of the state highway system in SE and SW Indiana that I'm still missing. Been a goal of mine for about 10 years now to drive the entire state highway system and I'm almost there!

Great Lakes Roads

From the INDOT Northwest Facebook page:

"Project Update - State Road 49 in Porter County

We never like being the bearers of bad news, so let's rip the Band-Aid off quick - the lane closures on State Road 49 north of State Road 2 in Valparaiso are here to stay through approximately July of 2022.

During the bridge deck overlay project that was set to end this month, it was discovered that the State Road 49 bridges over Evans Ave and Grand Truck Western Railroad were in much worse condition than originally thought. These unforeseen circumstances led to a change in the scope of the project, and we will now be doing total deck replacements for both bridges. Due to this change, there was not enough time left in the 2021 construction season to both design and construct the new bridge decks so that work will take place in spring/summer of 2022.

We know many people will ask "can't you open up the lanes for winter?!", but unfortunately, the answer is no due to safety concerns. The poor condition of the deteriorating bridge decks means that lane closures will need to remain in place until the full deck replacements can be completed.

Safety is at the forefront of everything we do here at INDOT so we hope you will understand why these decisions have been made (although we totally support that you don't have to like it)."

silverback1065

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on October 22, 2021, 12:03:33 AM
From the INDOT Northwest Facebook page:

"Project Update - State Road 49 in Porter County

We never like being the bearers of bad news, so let's rip the Band-Aid off quick - the lane closures on State Road 49 north of State Road 2 in Valparaiso are here to stay through approximately July of 2022.

During the bridge deck overlay project that was set to end this month, it was discovered that the State Road 49 bridges over Evans Ave and Grand Truck Western Railroad were in much worse condition than originally thought. These unforeseen circumstances led to a change in the scope of the project, and we will now be doing total deck replacements for both bridges. Due to this change, there was not enough time left in the 2021 construction season to both design and construct the new bridge decks so that work will take place in spring/summer of 2022.

We know many people will ask "can't you open up the lanes for winter?!", but unfortunately, the answer is no due to safety concerns. The poor condition of the deteriorating bridge decks means that lane closures will need to remain in place until the full deck replacements can be completed.

Safety is at the forefront of everything we do here at INDOT so we hope you will understand why these decisions have been made (although we totally support that you don't have to like it)."

this is the second time i have heard something like this from indot this year regarding a bridge, are they not doing a good job at inspection ?

mukade

Of course, Valparaiso is smack dab in the middle of the Lake Michigan snow belt so the huge volume of salt used might explain the cause of the premature deterioration.

On a totally different topic:

SR 26 from Rossville to west of Russiaville in Clinton and Howard Counties has been a particularly substandard and dangerous road - especially because it directly connects Lafayette to Kokomo which are only 44 miles apart and so it carries quite a bit of commuter traffic. And BTW, SR 26 here is part of the National Highway System. Recently, INDOT began upgrading the roadway, and the project is documented here (https://www.in.gov/indot/about-indot/central-office/welcome-to-the-crawfordsville-district/sr-26-road-rehabilitation-project-in-clinton-county/).

I noticed that the INDOT "Road Restrictions & Closures" site showed SR 26 in Clinton County as open so today I took a trip up to check out what was done between SR 75 and Rossvile (going westbound). It ended up raining steadily so the part of the road that has not yet been improved had several sections with flooding up to about a foot. One part had water flowing across the road which was clearly causing erosion. At one flooded location, a car had apparently hydroplaned off the road and slid into a utility pole broadside totaling the vehicle. Further along a pickup going the opposite direction hit standing water going pretty fast to the point that it must have done damage.

At Sedalia, the improved road begins and goes to Rossville. The difference as a result of the rebuild is very dramatic and it is a welcome change. The intersection with SR 75 now has left turn lanes eliminating a major hazard there. In the next two years, the two remaining substandard sections will be rebuilt.

tosa

Quote from: mukade on October 25, 2021, 09:35:16 PM
Of course, Valparaiso is smack dab in the middle of the Lake Michigan snow belt so the huge volume of salt used might explain the cause of the premature deterioration.

SR 26 from Rossville to west of Russiaville in Clinton and Howard Counties has been a particularly substandard and dangerous road - especially because it directly connects Lafayette to Kokomo which are only 44 miles apart and so it carries quite a bit of commuter traffic. And BTW, SR 26 here is part of the National Highway System. Recently, INDOT began upgrading the roadway, and the project is documented here (https://www.in.gov/indot/about-indot/central-office/welcome-to-the-crawfordsville-district/sr-26-road-rehabilitation-project-in-clinton-county/).

I noticed that the INDOT "Road Restrictions & Closures" site showed SR 26 in Clinton County as open so today I took a trip up to check out what was done between SR 75 and Rossvile (going westbound). It ended up raining steadily so the part of the road that has not yet been improved had several sections with flooding up to about a foot. One part had water flowing across the road which was clearly causing erosion. At one flooded location, a car had apparently hydroplaned off the road and slid into a utility pole broadside totaling the vehicle. Further along a pickup going the opposite direction hit standing water going pretty fast to the point that it must have done damage.

At Sedalia, the improved road begins and goes to Rossville. The difference as a result of the rebuild is very dramatic and it is a welcome change. The intersection with SR 75 now has left turn lanes eliminating a major hazard there. In the next two years, the two remaining substandard sections will be rebuilt.

I wish SR 26 between Lafayetee and Kokomo can be widened to 4 lanes

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: tosa on October 26, 2021, 01:50:42 PM
Quote from: mukade on October 25, 2021, 09:35:16 PM

I wish SR 26 between Lafayetee and Kokomo can be widened to 4 lanes

I've only driven that road during non-commuting hours. Does it get that busy during commuting hours?

bmeiser

That is one of the most boring drives in the state. Feels twice as long as it actually is

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: bmeiser on October 26, 2021, 08:11:09 PM
That is one of the most boring drives in the state. Feels twice as long as it actually is

I've driven about 94% of the state's highways and there are plenty more boring than that.

bmeiser

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 26, 2021, 10:24:31 PM
Quote from: bmeiser on October 26, 2021, 08:11:09 PM

I've driven about 94% of the state's highways and there are plenty more boring than that.
Touché.

monty

SR 26 from Lafayette to Kokomo is bonkers during rush hour. Many Kokomo commuters to Subaru in Lafayette but certainly others going both directions.  I make this commute.  It is a narrow, bad road from west of Russiaville to Rossville. The improvements will be very welcome. Four lanes would be an overkill but the super two concept with improved passing opportunities will be awesome. This has been a very long time coming. I drive the newly completed section and it is much nicer. The worst segments yet to be tackled, save for utility work.
monty

mukade

Th scenery itself isn't particularly boring, but the road is dangerous. Those of us that have driven it multiple times have been stuck behind slow drivers and unable to pass due to hills and traffic volume. So it frequently does feel like a long drive.

In addition to serving commuters to big employers like Subaru in Lafayette and Frito-Lay in Frankfort, SR 26 is the highway that serves Purdue from points east. At the beginning and end of the week and on game days, traffic is also heavier. The least busy sections have an AADT of over 3600 and are where there are viable alternatives. I would expect volumes would rise once the project has been completed.

SR 26 across the state has generally been a poor road until recently. Over the years, it has been improved in various places, and I notice it was finally being improved (so was closed) east of Hartford City. That probably means it will be decent all the way from Lafayette to US 27, but I haven't driven the whole stretch in years. I suspect SR 26 west of Lafayette remains narrow, curvy and dangerous, but at least between US 41 and SR 55 the AADT is less than 1000.

tdindy88

I think this would be a good place to post this, I know Traffic Control may be just as good of a spot but since it's local. I saw this earlier today and thought it was pretty cool to see. The Indianapolis Star went to the Indianapolis Department of Public Works sign shop and took some pictures of some of the various street signs, including a split 65/70 interstate shield. I always thought Indy had some respectable street signs all-in-all.

https://www.indystar.com/picture-gallery/news/local/2021/10/27/indianapolis-department-of-public-works-dpw-roadway-signs-keeps-safe-how-made/5812964001/

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 15, 2021, 08:26:56 AM
There are a couple things that need to fall into place yet, but I'm tentatively scheduled to take a 2 night trip October 30-November 1 that would finish off the 720ish miles of the state highway system in SE and SW Indiana that I'm still missing. Been a goal of mine for about 10 years now to drive the entire state highway system and I'm almost there!

OK, so I'm officially a little bit crazy. 33 hours and 1738 miles of driving over 3 days has netted me the final 720 miles of the Indiana state highway system I'd been missing, so I've now driven every mile of signed highway in the state.

bmeiser

Nice work! Roughly how many miles do you think that is in total?

Also what kind of car do you drive? Hope it's comfortable!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: bmeiser on November 01, 2021, 11:39:06 PM
Nice work! Roughly how many miles do you think that is in total?

Also what kind of car do you drive? Hope it's comfortable!

Including Business routes, which are signed but not official state highways, it's about 11,250 miles. You can log and track your travels in Indiana and the rest of the US (and many other countries) at travelmapping.net

My current vehicle is a Mazda CX-5.

bmeiser

Ah, "Zoom Zoom". Nice car.

I'll have to check that site out. My other hobby requires a lot of travel so I've probably driven a lot of state highway miles.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.