News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Tappan Zee work started?

Started by Pete from Boston, May 30, 2013, 06:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Simon

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 22, 2018, 04:57:09 PM
Quote from: jemacedo9 on January 18, 2018, 10:40:05 PM
http://www.thruway.ny.gov/news/pressrel/2018/01/2018-01-17-toll-amnesty-pgm.html

Press release for the launch of a cashless tolling amnesty program, with new toll signage noted within the press release...

At no point in that press release do they mention "Tappan Zee." It's all "Gov. Mario M. Cuomo." I wonder if that might cause some confusion? Is it reasonable to expect that everyone would have heard about the name change?
Let's all call it the Gov. Tappan M. Zee Memorial Bridge.

SM-G955U

empirestate

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 22, 2018, 04:57:09 PM
At no point in that press release do they mention "Tappan Zee." It's all "Gov. Mario M. Cuomo." I wonder if that might cause some confusion? Is it reasonable to expect that everyone would have heard about the name change?

Yes, actually. There was some Facebook faux-outrage about it going around for a while (think red Starbucks cups, but a milder version) and I think the hyper-local news beat has covered it a fair bit, too.

davewiecking

Implosion of most of the bridge scheduled within the hour. Pix11.com has coverage.

empirestate

It's down. Along with some cranes and port-a-johns.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

empirestate

Did anyone happen to capture the live tower webcam that was streaming at newnybridge.com? I had the feed open, but the demolition itself was a shorter event than each of the necessary continual reloadings of the page. :-(

kalvado

Quote from: empirestate on January 17, 2019, 11:31:14 AM
Did anyone happen to capture the live tower webcam that was streaming at newnybridge.com? I had the feed open, but the demolition itself was a shorter event than each of the necessary continual reloadings of the page. :-(
Almost (although I was using youtube feed)
Heard "wow!" in my earphones, clicked to video tab, saw the span half way in flight...

empirestate

Quote from: kalvado on January 17, 2019, 11:55:44 AM
Heard "wow!" in my earphones, clicked to video tab, saw the span half way in flight...

Do you have the YouTube link for the tower webcam feed?

kalvado

Quote from: empirestate on January 17, 2019, 05:01:57 PM

No, that was the first link for "bridge demolition" - it was a live event broadcast, not 24/7 feed I think you're looking for...

empirestate

Quote from: kalvado on January 17, 2019, 05:05:25 PM
Quote from: empirestate on January 17, 2019, 05:01:57 PM

No, that was the first link for "bridge demolition" - it was a live event broadcast, not 24/7 feed I think you're looking for...

Not 24/7; this was a temporary live stream of the tower webcam (View 1 at https://www.newnybridge.com/webcam/ ) set up expressly for the demolition. You said you almost captured it on YouTube?

02 Park Ave

Has there been any more news regarding the possible hydrogen embrittlement of the A490 bolts used on the new bridges?
C-o-H

shadyjay

Got to travel the new Tappan Zee Bridge today on a work-related day trip from CT to PA and back.  The bridge is really nice, but it feels narrow, primarily due to road work still being performed which has the shoulders closed.  Was surprised to see so many signs still saying Tappan Zee Bridge, on both sides of the river.  I'm not complaining at all, but given how much of a big deal Cuomo made the name change, and seeing "GMCB" on VMSs, I'm surprised there hasn't been a more aggressive campaign to replace the old signage.  Also surprised to see the old lighted "LEFT LANE CLOSED" signs still up on either shore, during the old bridge/movable barrier days.

Photos are on my Thruway page... old bridge at the top, new bridge a little ways down...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shadyjay/albums/72157698882031051

GreenLanternCorps

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kkt

Mario Cuomo will have a good legacy whether the bridge stays named after him or not.

I'm sure Andrew renaming the bridge after his dad had nothing at all to do with them having the same last name.   :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.