News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Tappan Zee work started?

Started by Pete from Boston, May 30, 2013, 06:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalvado

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 04, 2017, 02:04:02 PM
Back to the actual subject at hand; based on the earlier-posted press release, the lane closures in preparation for the big shift will commence at 9 PM this Friday.

If one's travel plans normally involve going through this area at that time of night (or later); consider taking an alternate route/river crossing.
And what is the big shift? I thought second span is not opened till next year...

cl94

Quote from: kalvado on October 04, 2017, 02:47:28 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on October 04, 2017, 02:04:02 PM
Back to the actual subject at hand; based on the earlier-posted press release, the lane closures in preparation for the big shift will commence at 9 PM this Friday.

If one's travel plans normally involve going through this area at that time of night (or later); consider taking an alternate route/river crossing.
And what is the big shift? I thought second span is not opened till next year...

EB traffic is moving to the new WB span.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

froggie

^^ Take a look at mine and others photos upthread.  They're squeezing 4 lanes in each direction onto the new westbound span while they finish building the new eastbound span...but they can't finish it until the old existing bridge is gone.

empirestate

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 04, 2017, 08:50:52 AM
Quote from: froggie on October 04, 2017, 07:16:36 AMFurther proof that GPS's have made Americans dumber at geography....
Agree wholeheartedly, and that's exactly what J&N was discretely trying to convey in his earlier post.

Oh, is that what it was? I didn't catch that, since it doesn't refer to what I was actually saying.

I think I may have misled people by referring to local familiarity: the remark wasn't that I want a GPS to supplant my local knowledge by giving me more information about my own area, but rather the opposite. Because I am able to navigate my local area without the aid of a GPS, I would like the system to be able to filter out unnecessary details and just give me big picture information: "Am I heading into the city on the Saw Mill or Sprain? Where does the traffic look better? Oh, you've detected a faster route? OK, do I switch over to the Thruway? No, no, don't just say 'in five hundred feet take the ramp on the right'–I need the big picture here!"

signalman

Quote from: empirestate on October 05, 2017, 01:17:14 AM
I think I may have misled people by referring to local familiarity: the remark wasn't that I want a GPS to supplant my local knowledge by giving me more information about my own area, but rather the opposite. Because I am able to navigate my local area without the aid of a GPS, I would like the system to be able to filter out unnecessary details and just give me big picture information: "Am I heading into the city on the Saw Mill or Sprain? Where does the traffic look better? Oh, you've detected a faster route? OK, do I switch over to the Thruway? No, no, don't just say 'in five hundred feet take the ramp on the right'—I need the big picture here!"
You're describing Waze more than what GPS is or ever was intended to do. 

Back on the topic of the new Tappan Zee (I refuse to call it the Cuomo Bridge).  I crossed the new bridge for the first time last Wednesday.  It was nice to see the bridge for myself.  I had plenty of time to look at it up close and personally; traffic was pretty sluggish at 2 pm.  I would have liked to get some photos, but I had a Lexus following me closer than I liked and I was worried about getting rear ended every time we stopped/slowed to nearly a stop.  Her poor driving and the fact that my car is a manual took all my available attention and hands. 

Stephane Dumas

jeffandnicole

"Am I heading into the city on the Saw Mill or Sprain? Where does the traffic look better? Oh, you've detected a faster route? OK, do I switch over to the Thruway? No, no, don't just say 'in five hundred feet take the ramp on the right'–I need the big picture here!"

That is what most people care about.

If a GPS said "Just switch over to the Thruway", people won't know exactly where to go, and if there's two exits in a row that'll take you there, one may only take a minute, and another may take 10 minutes. 

If you want the fastest route, there's no reason for the big picture.  That's all extra info almost no one cares about.  They just want to know the exact route that's the fastest.

kalvado

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 05, 2017, 08:29:42 AM
"Am I heading into the city on the Saw Mill or Sprain? Where does the traffic look better? Oh, you've detected a faster route? OK, do I switch over to the Thruway? No, no, don't just say 'in five hundred feet take the ramp on the right'–I need the big picture here!"

If a GPS said "Just switch over to the Thruway", people won't know exactly where to go, and if there's two exits in a row that'll take you there, one may only take a minute, and another may take 10 minutes. 

If you want the fastest route, there's no reason for the big picture.  That's all extra info almost no one cares about.  They just want to know the exact route that's the fastest.
Google maps on PC actually does something like a high-level overview when planning the route - if I plot my ride home, it will provide routing via via I-XX or NY-XX. Waze also does something similar by briefly shoing "route via I-XX is Y minutes faster than alternative" - but not as audible message.  I generally have audible directions off, only warnings are active in most cases. That doesn't provide audible warnings about unusual routing, though.
I think this is the feature which I - and probably some other people commuting in high traffic - would like to see emphasized.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: kalvado on October 05, 2017, 10:19:06 AM
Google maps on PC actually does something like a high-level overview when planning the route - if I plot my ride home, it will provide routing via via I-XX or NY-XX. Waze also does something similar by briefly shoing "route via I-XX is Y minutes faster than alternative" - but not as audible message.  I generally have audible directions off, only warnings are active in most cases. That doesn't provide audible warnings about unusual routing, though.
I think this is the feature which I - and probably some other people commuting in high traffic - would like to see emphasized.

When there are multiple potential routes between my present location and my destination, I'll frequently bring up Google Maps to get an overview and navigate without the maps.   Or, alternatively, I'll set the Google Maps audio to "alerts only", which lets me drive without distraction unless/until Google alerts to a delay and faster alternate route.

kalvado

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on October 05, 2017, 02:52:54 PM
Quote from: kalvado on October 05, 2017, 10:19:06 AM

When there are multiple potential routes between my present location and my destination, I'll frequently bring up Google Maps to get an overview and navigate without the maps.   Or, alternatively, I'll set the Google Maps audio to "alerts only", which lets me drive without distraction unless/until Google alerts to a delay and faster alternate route.

"Who needs a map? A man has to find his way from the look of the woods, trees, mountains!"
(c)Natty Bumppo, the Leatherstocking.

empirestate

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 05, 2017, 08:29:42 AM

Exactly; my peeve with GPS systems is that they're designed for the needs of typical people, who need help getting around unfamiliar neighborhoods (yes, including their own). Or perhaps, people need help getting around unfamiliar neighborhoods because GPS systems are designed the way they are.

Although they may have some overview features, and other apps are available, they're not quite intelligent enough to dynamically communicate in a way that's most beneficial to me.

njunderground

To me it will always just be the Tappan Zee. Just like the 59th St Bridge will always be just that, and the Triboro will always be the Triboro. But for me it's just about tradition. And I have to admit, I am a little sad to see the old girl go. She was a rough and sometimes dangerous bridge, but something about it always complimented the landscape well. (although I have to admit, the "Monster Energy Drink Bridge" does sound kinda funny. It would be funny to name a new bridge that just for the hell of it.

njunderground

Quote from: kalvado on October 03, 2017, 03:02:29 PM
Quote from: cl94 on October 03, 2017, 02:26:57 PM
Quote from: kalvado on October 03, 2017, 02:25:05 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 03, 2017, 02:13:03 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on October 03, 2017, 01:44:52 PM
Quote from: empirestate on October 03, 2017, 01:33:04 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 03, 2017, 10:13:38 AMIf you need a GPS to get around your own neighborhood...
What's the rest of the sentence?
He's leaving that up to the reader (i.e. Reader's Choice).

Yep...you know where I was going with that.

OK, my bet is

If you need a GPS to get around your own neighborhood, you probably have enough traffic problems to use GPS software for latest traffic information!

Not necessarily. A lot of people with dementia use GPS to get to/from the store, making health issues of that type harder to identify from memory loss.
well, my point is that saying GPS is a sign of a problem with the driver is not the only option. I do fire up Waze on my commute to get traffic/hazard warnings.
And with all the modern IT we're less relying on memory these days, more on general information accessibility. Which may be seen a bad thing or a good thing - but that is the general trend.
I used to use my GPS every morning going to work for the traffic coverage...that is until the cable (which also functions as the traffic report antenna), stopped working and I was too lazy to buy a new one :/

Alps

Quote from: njunderground on October 11, 2017, 12:26:38 AM
To me it will always just be the Tappan Zee. Just like the 59th St Bridge will always be just that, and the Triboro will always be the Triboro. But for me it's just about tradition. And I have to admit, I am a little sad to see the old girl go. She was a rough and sometimes dangerous bridge, but something about it always complimented the landscape well. (although I have to admit, the "Monster Energy Drink Bridge" does sound kinda funny. It would be funny to name a new bridge that just for the hell of it.
It's like Shea. You can say that the new structure has a new name and the old name died with the old one, but if you put it back in roughly the same place, no one will ever catch on. At least in the NYC area. (Route 3 goes to the Lincoln Tunnel.)

PHLBOS

Quote from: Alps on October 11, 2017, 12:59:47 AM
Quote from: njunderground on October 11, 2017, 12:26:38 AM
It's like Shea. You can say that the new structure has a new name and the old name died with the old one, but if you put it back in roughly the same place, no one will ever catch on. At least in the NYC area. (Route 3 goes to the Lincoln Tunnel.)
Kind of like the Boston Garden's replacement (bank name/mergers aside) originally had no reference to the old Garden name at all.  It started as the Fleet Center, then later the TD Banknorth Center (or Garden), then IIRC the TD Center and then finally the TD Garden.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

KEVIN_224

Former names:

Shawmut Center (construction)
FleetCenter (1995—2005)
TD Banknorth Garden (2005—2009)

TD Bank Garden (July 2009-present)

Getting back to the Hudson River Bridge...when do they start taking apart some of the old bridge's Westchester approach? I understand that the south/east side of the new bridge can't be built until that's out of the way.

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

KEVIN_224

(_8(I) -D'oh!

My hatred of all Boston market sports teams blinded me! You are indeed correct!

OK...back to the bridge again. Two classic shots from the Westchester County side on August 20, 2011. This was a week before Hurricane Irene ravaged the area.

empirestate

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on October 12, 2017, 09:24:47 AM
Getting back to the Hudson River Bridge...when do they start taking apart some of the old bridge's Westchester approach? I understand that the south/east side of the new bridge can't be built until that's out of the way.

I just looked at it today, and there are some cranes parked alongside the old bridge. So they're likely already starting.

empirestate

Following up to the above, progress is well along on this. Here are some photos:

You can see the cross section of the old approach span, as well as the new piers taking shape alongside the old ones, which clearly cannot be reused.

Meanwhile, work is already underway on the superstructure, too. It's hard to make out in this photo, but the steel members connecting the center truss with the cantilever spans have been removed, so we can expect that center span to come out soon:

iPhone

Mergingtraffic

I still cannot figure out why the Tappan Zee STILL backs-up as much as it does going into Westchester!?!  Yes, you have to crossover and the lanes aren't as wide but there is no more merging from 4 lanes to 3.  I still backs up from the GSP to where the old toll plazas used to be.

I've been on it a few times and no accidents or anything it's just volume.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Alps

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on December 21, 2017, 03:31:22 PM
I still cannot figure out why the Tappan Zee STILL backs-up as much as it does going into Westchester!?!  Yes, you have to crossover and the lanes aren't as wide but there is no more merging from 4 lanes to 3.  I still backs up from the GSP to where the old toll plazas used to be.

I've been on it a few times and no accidents or anything it's just volume.
Sounds like it should clear up once the final roadway alignment is in.

jemacedo9

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/news/pressrel/2018/01/2018-01-17-toll-amnesty-pgm.html

Press release for the launch of a cashless tolling amnesty program, with new toll signage noted within the press release...

mrsman

Quote from: jemacedo9 on January 18, 2018, 10:40:05 PM
http://www.thruway.ny.gov/news/pressrel/2018/01/2018-01-17-toll-amnesty-pgm.html

Press release for the launch of a cashless tolling amnesty program, with new toll signage noted within the press release...

I wish more toll facilities were like this.  Total cashless tolls, no delays, for those with transponders, and an ability to pay online for a small surcharge.  Too many agencies do not allow a non-transponder option w/o paying a significant penalty.

The signage looks good.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: jemacedo9 on January 18, 2018, 10:40:05 PM

At no point in that press release do they mention "Tappan Zee." It's all "Gov. Mario M. Cuomo." I wonder if that might cause some confusion? Is it reasonable to expect that everyone would have heard about the name change?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.