News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Road pictures from unusual vantage points

Started by kphoger, June 08, 2013, 04:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammi

Quote from: hbelkins on July 18, 2013, 12:05:14 AM
Quote from: formulanone on June 10, 2013, 06:32:42 PM
[clipped image]

I was going to ask where this was, and guess it was I-79's crossing of the Ohio River, then I saw the name of the pic when I quoted your post, and that hunch was confirmed.

The only thing wrong with that image was that the URL said Int79. :sombrero:

formulanone

Quote from: sammi on July 18, 2013, 12:07:41 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 18, 2013, 12:05:14 AM
Quote from: formulanone on June 10, 2013, 06:32:42 PM
[clipped image]

I was going to ask where this was, and guess it was I-79's crossing of the Ohio River, then I saw the name of the pic when I quoted your post, and that hunch was confirmed.

The only thing wrong with that image was that the URL said Int79. :sombrero:

Int = Interstate | US = US Route | SR (or state abbreviation) = State Route/Road | CR = County Route/Road

I've used dashes "-" for years to separate descriptive words or phrases in image filenames (underscores are hard to see if underlined), or "+" to include bits together...something like "Sunset-I-275east.jpg" looks weird. "Int275e" makes more sense to me. There's no complete rules for this, since I took a photo of the work, it could have named it: DeltaATLtoPIT-BlueBridgeAerialNearPIT-14Jan2013-800px.jpg

It sure beats those "URL shorteners" that Google, TinyURL, and Twitter use; or the camera's image filename, which give no clue as to what you're looking at.  :confused:

oscar

Here's the Yukon River Bridge, carrying the Dalton Highway (AK 11) across the river, which I photographed in 1994 from a tour boat upstream from the bridge:

That's a 6% grade on the wooden-decked bridge, can be a little tricky in the winter.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

CentralCAroadgeek

I got two for today, the first one taken on this day a year ago (July 25, 2012) in Seattle. It is the I-5/Mercer Street interchange as seen from the top of the Space Needle...

This one is a Los Angeles BGS on Ventura Blvd at US-101. Taken from a Universal Studios lookout with my camera's impressive zoom...

oscar

For another one, of an old BGS preceding what is now the Interstate H-1/Interstate H-201 interchange (while the latter route was signed only as HI 78), I had to climb atop some playground equipment in an adjacent park, so that a chain-link fence along the freeway ROW would not get in the way.  The kids in attendance seemed amused.

The interchange was unusually dangerous to drive, with narrow lanes and shoulders, so I thought it too dangerous to take a road-level photo without a passenger to get the shot.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Alps

A unique perspective - alongside the top of a century-old truss bridge: Queensboro Bridge from the Roosevelt Island Tram

(part of the UPDATE)

xcellntbuy

1995hoo

This one is probably not necessarily an "unusual vantage point," but I thought it appropriate for this thread simply because of how perfectly aligned the runaway truck ramp is in this particular photo. It gives it sort of a Dukes of Hazzard look because the ramp looks perfectly positioned for catching major air. My wife took the picture from the passenger seat this past Monday somewhere on Corridor H in West Virginia.

More in the general line of this thread, here's one from 2007. That's the Øresundsbron between Denmark and Sweden seen from our cruise ship departing Copenhagen for a ten-day trip around the Baltic Sea.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Compulov

A couple I took from pedestrian overpasses.

Washington Road/CR-571 in Princeton, NJ, looking northwest

I-68 from the Sideling Hill Cut, looking west

Mr_Northside

While the vantage point isn't TOO unusual, my recent vacation in Ocean City (MD) was on the 6th floor at a place on 62nd St, which is the "continuation" of the MD-90 roadway on the other side of the coastal highway (not actually MD-90 at that point).  It made for a neat view of the road & bridge.  Occasionally the lights for the "Tune to AM xxx" sign were on, though I never checked what was going on.

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

kphoger

While I was on a walk with my three sons yesterday evening:

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

^ mmm...demountability.

One from 2010, where I walked up the side of the overpass to get this sign shot.

Bridges over False River, shot from my hotel balcony in Vancouver:

kphoger

Quote from: formulanone on August 07, 2020, 09:58:06 AM
^ mmm...demountability.

Yes, I explained to my boys the difference between the two sign panels.  You know you're a roadgeek if...
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

I actually wanted to stand up on the concrete to take the picture, but I didn't want passing motorists on Kellogg to think I was planning suicide.
Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

I took this picture in August 2018. It's the legendary sign bridge in DC that had the boarded-up I-695 sign and the other signs that remained in place for over 50 years. The vantage point may be "unusual" in terms of how most people see this assembly, but it's not hard to get this picture, other than it perhaps being difficult to find a legal on-street parking space in the area (the Saudi Arabian Embassy is across the street behind my vantage point in this photo, so parking is restricted for obvious security reasons).

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on August 07, 2020, 10:17:22 AM
Quote from: formulanone on August 07, 2020, 09:58:06 AM
^ mmm...demountability.

Yes, I explained to my boys the difference between the two sign panels.  You know you're a roadgeek if...

Last year I took the kids out for dinner, and on the way back, I used my brights to show off the only button copy sign in town. They thought it was neat...they wanted me to do it again the following month, but I had to explain that you can't just shine your brights when there's lots of cars in front of you. On the other hand, they recalled the location (though probably because it was the same restaurant).

jmd41280

Chespeake Bay Bridge, taken from the Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas

Between the Bridges by Jon Dawson, on Flickr

I-95 Fuller Warren Bridge in Jacksonville, FL, taken from the gardens at the Cummer Museum

Fuller Warren Bridge from Cummer Museum by Jon Dawson, on Flickr

I-77 taken from the Terminal Tower observation deck in Cleveland, OH

I-77 South from Terminal Tower by Jon Dawson, on Flickr
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

zzcarp

This is looking west towards I-70 taken from the summit of Mount Parnassus in Colorado yesterday. Exit 218 is in the foreground; Exit 216/US 6 to Loveland Pass is in the background.

So many miles and so many roads

US 89

I-80 in eastern Salt Lake City, with the Spaghetti Bowl (I-15/I-80/SR 201) and Parleys (I-80/I-215/SR 186) interchanges both visible. Taken looking west from Grandeur Peak, elevation 8300 feet - about 4000 feet above the valley floor.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

4 months ago, I would have needed to be on a boat...

(US 42 @ Greenwood Lake, NE corner of Delaware)
----
From 8 1/2 Iyears ago...

Low water at Alum Creek Reservoir, in Delaware County, Ohio, exposing an old roadbed.
----
From back in my heyday of roadfan....
http://www.roadfan.com/670x4.jpg
Taken during construction of I-670 in Columbus (Spring-Sandusky interchange) back in 2002

http://www.roadfan.com/carney4.JPG

http://www.roadfan.com/crowd1.JPG
When ODOT & Columbus (finally!) completed I-670 in 2003, they allowed for a party to occur on I-670 before opening the interstate.
----
Moving south to Baton Rouge...
http://www.roadfan.com/BR_Buildings/brbusdst.JPG
Looking south from the observation deck of the Louisiana State capital (circa fall of 2004)

http://www.roadfan.com/broldbr2.JPG
Back when the "old bridge" (aka US 190 over the Mississippi) was still orange (2005)

Under the North Blvd. railroad overpass, when it was being built (2007 or 2008)

I-10 over Perkins Rd in Baton Rouge (for those familiar with BR, this in the "Overpass" neighborhood)

Middle of Tulane Ave (US 61/90) north of I-10, look away from the river. I took this photo in January, 2006, while New Orleans was still fairly "empty" after Hurricane Katrina.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on August 07, 2020, 09:02:51 AM
While I was on a walk with my three sons yesterday evening:

I love shooting older Kansas signs from angles that show off the demountability.

Yours is cool because it shows off details of the truss, including the spacer that's used on the upper support for the signs to give them that downward tilt that you don't see in Oklahoma.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Looking down at the Briceburg Bridge from the old grade of the Yosemite Valley Railroad:

IMG_1294 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Looking down from the Burma Grade at the Yosemite All-Year Highway (CA 140) climbing out of the Merced River Canyon via Bear Creek:

IMG_1298 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

The Lighthouse Avenue Tunnel from the Monterey Bay Coastal Trail:

IMG_1525 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

ErmineNotyours

Nalley Valley Viaduct, SR 16 in Tacoma, since demolished and replaced.

formulanone

There's a fairly new rental car center connected to Omaha's Eppley Field, which allows you to get a view of the road beneath the rental counter booths:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.