News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I44/I235 Construction Update

Started by rte66man, July 20, 2013, 09:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5280

Quote from: Terri Angier, ODOT from KFOR article"It's going to look much like the ones we see in Dallas or other major metropolitan areas and it's going to have two very long flyover bridges that tie over the ramp," Angier said. "It's almost hard to imagine what it will look like, because we've never had one like this in the state but we are very excited that it will move traffic more than anything, a lot more smoothly than it does today."

Um, no. Not really. This interchange isn't going to look like one of the many directional stack interchanges in Dallas or other major metros in Texas. Unless the plans have changed any this one will have two fairly long direct-connect flyover ramps and two cloverleaf ramps. Functionally this is hardly any different than some other interchanges in the OKC metro, such as the Kilpatrick/I-35/I-44 interchange.

Now it might be interesting if they use a more modern, elegant looking construction method like cast-segmental for the long flyover ramps. But I can't tell if ODOT will even do that. The ramps could end up looking no different than many of the flyovers in Texas with all those exposed, clunky-looking straight beams.

rte66man

Not sure where the updates for this project are so I'm bumping this thread.

Beam installation has begun on the EB to NB flyover and the NB to EB bridge over the Deep Fork. I will try to get some screen caps posted this weekend.

It also looks like there will be another major traffic shift for NB traffic in the next day or so. Once you cross over I44, traffic will shift to the west of the existing asphalt onto new concrete adjacent to the SB lanes. Not sure if the NB exit to 63rd will remain open or not.
https://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/newsroom/newsroom_article.php?id=277&article_id=55821
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

rte66man

-Yogi Berra

rte66man

from OKC Talk on Sunday. Nice drone shots of the hanging of bridge beams.
https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=24127&page=53

-Yogi Berra

Bobby5280

At least those images confirm the 2 long flyover ramps in the interchange will be the more conventional clunky beam kind of thing we see across Texas. It's pretty much what I expected considering the large number of support pylons erected for each ramp. The cast/segmental method tends to use fewer support pylons spread considerably farther apart -hence the more "elegant" look.

I just wonder if there is any possibility the I-44/I-235 interchange could be upgraded years from now to get rid of the two cloverleaf ramps and replace them with direct connect flyovers.

rte66man

Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 03, 2020, 11:38:00 AM
At least those images confirm the 2 long flyover ramps in the interchange will be the more conventional clunky beam kind of thing we see across Texas. It's pretty much what I expected considering the large number of support pylons erected for each ramp. The cast/segmental method tends to use fewer support pylons spread considerably farther apart -hence the more "elegant" look.

I just wonder if there is any possibility the I-44/I-235 interchange could be upgraded years from now to get rid of the two cloverleaf ramps and replace them with direct connect flyovers.

There is enough room to add a WB to SB flyover ramp to eliminate the NW cloverleaf ramp. It looks as if the EB to SB ramp has a stub that would accommodate that. Squeezing a SB to EB flyover ramp in is problematic due to the large office building immediately NW of the interchange.

-Yogi Berra

Bobby5280

A WB I-44 to SB I-235 flyover ramp might be do-able. But the exit ramp from I-44 would have to begin within the Lincoln Blvd tri-level interchange or even before it. There's only around 700' of distance between where the Lincoln Blvd ramp to WB I-44 merges and the exit ramp from WB I-44 to NB Broadway Extension begins. It's a short enough distance to cause "X" conflicts with traffic entering and leaving WB I-44. A flyover ramp from WB I-44 to SB I-235 would have to be pretty tall to go over the ramps currently under construction. I wonder if it's possible to modify the WB I-44 exit to Lincoln Blvd -widen the ramp to two lanes so a flyover can begin on that hill.

I'm not sure how a SB Broadway Extension to EB I-44 ramp would work. Based on the renderings of the finished interchange it doesn't look like there would be any room to build such a thing.

rte66man

Was surprised to see this thread was stale.

Photos taken last Wednesday westbound on 44 approaching 235:

Lincoln Blvd interchange

NB to WB on top. It is open to traffic. The lower bridge is for EB to NB. You can see the split between traffic heading up 77 and those exiting at 63rd.

You can just make out the NB mainlane bridge under the EB to NB bridge.

Also going to try to post a link to a local board whose owner runs a drone:
https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=24127&page=65

-Yogi Berra

MCRoads

Wow, glad it is finally making progress!

I would have preferred a cast-in-place or precast box beam bridge, sort of like in TX, but what do you expect from ODOT... I really don't like concrete girders AND steel girders on the same bridge though, it looks weird. I much prefer steel girders, if there is a choice though, as the girder can curve, which looks nice.

When I lived in OKC, they said it would be done in 2019, but at this rate, it might be done by summer 2021, not bad for ODOT.

Now, hopefully I-240/35 will stay at it's projected pace...
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

rte66man

The EB 44 to NB 77 flyover was opened to traffic today eliminating the second cloverleaf ramp . As a result, the NB ramp to NW 63rd was closed for at least 45 days so workers can complete the retaining wall and finish paving. It also allows them to connect pavement between the bridges over the Deep Fork and the new section over I44.  Once that is done, traffic can be moved to it and the last remaining old bridge can be replaced. Good thing they got done as weather next week will be miserable.

-Yogi Berra

Bobby5280

The forecast for next week just seems to keep getting worse day by day. Some mornings next week are now forecast to get down in the single digits here in Lawton. The plumbers are bound to get some calls for frozen and burst pipes.

rte66man

As of today, NB 235 traffic wanting to exit onto N 63rd has to exit at the same place as those who want to go EB on 44.Not well marked. However, it is clear they are only a week or 2 away from moving all NB traffic onto the new bridges and pavement. They are still pouring some Jersey barriers and one or 2 short stretches of connecting pavement.

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.