News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

Quote from: WashuOtaku on December 29, 2015, 11:30:41 AM
Quote from: amroad17 on December 28, 2015, 05:38:18 PM
I have mentioned before in another thread about having the Raleigh-Norfolk corridor be numbered I-46 (although in my post in Fictional Highways, the routing was different).  The US 70 corridor should be I-42, if an I-number needs to be assigned to this.

I would say both routes qualify for a two-digit interstate number.  Heck, we have countless examples of short two-digit interstates located in one state.  I'm fine with anything between 40-64.   :nod:
As am I, although I'd prefer anything in the 40s range.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

slorydn1

Although I'd be fine with a 2di number for the US-70 corridor I would think it would be better to save a 2di number for a longer multi-state route (man if only they could figure out a way to get I-30 from Little Rock to New Bern, but I digress into fictional territory, lol).

I would think that an odd 3di would be fine for the corridor, which would be a spur off of a major 2di anyway. As someone else had stated, 340 is available in NC and would be perfect for this corridor.

Man, and to think, it could have been I-40 had things gone differently back in the 60's and 70's.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

WashuOtaku

Quote from: slorydn1 on December 30, 2015, 08:53:26 PM
Although I'd be fine with a 2di number for the US-70 corridor I would think it would be better to save a 2di number for a longer multi-state route (man if only they could figure out a way to get I-30 from Little Rock to New Bern, but I digress into fictional territory, lol).

I would think that an odd 3di would be fine for the corridor, which would be a spur off of a major 2di anyway. As someone else had stated, 340 is available in NC and would be perfect for this corridor.

Man, and to think, it could have been I-40 had things gone differently back in the 60's and 70's.

Save a 2di number till when exactly?  Are there big plans for more interstates that will need these spare numbers too? 

I get what you are saying but there is no plans for these numbers anytime, exact same reason why Texas went ahead and snagged I-2, because it's available.  Creating super-long 3di would be foolish when a 2di is available and would still be longer than several other Intrastate 2di, I-40 to Morehead City is roughly 130 miles.

Remember, back in the '60s and '70s, North Carolina had roughly 5 million people, today it's double that.  Needs were very different back then as oppose today now.

CanesFan27

My attempt to describe the current state and future needs and plans of the three new Interstate corridors (two new / one extended) here in North Carolina:

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2016/01/the-fast-act-brings-two-new-interstate.html

OracleUsr

Hey, CanesFan, I have a question about Raleigh.  What are they doing to the Saunders St. interchange on I-40?  I found it odd that they have the second ramp signs covered up in both directions of I-40, does that mean they're only going to have an Exit 298 now instead of 298A-B?
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

CanesFan27

Quote from: OracleUsr on January 02, 2016, 10:04:36 PM
Hey, CanesFan, I have a question about Raleigh.  What are they doing to the Saunders St. interchange on I-40?  I found it odd that they have the second ramp signs covered up in both directions of I-40, does that mean they're only going to have an Exit 298 now instead of 298A-B?

Brent, I'm fairly certain it's only a result of ramps being closed as they are rebuilt.  We rarely travel the lower half of the beltline so I'm not exactly sure.  Brian would know - ask on southeast roads on facebook - he's on more often there.

OracleUsr

Oh, okay, gotcha.  Thank you.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

NJRoadfan

I actually drove thru there this morning (US-401 North to I-40 East). The on ramp was open, but couldn't see much else.

Mileage Mike

Quote from: CanesFan27 on January 01, 2016, 05:48:43 PM
My attempt to describe the current state and future needs and plans of the three new Interstate corridors (two new / one extended) here in North Carolina:

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2016/01/the-fast-act-brings-two-new-interstate.html

After this is all said and done Eastern NC might have one of the highest miles of interstate highway per capita in the country.

I'm in favor of all of them except that Raleigh-Norfolk corridor.  That one seems to offer little benefit and would likely carry a large cost that would be better spent on other NC road projects.

wdcrft63

Of the proposed interstate projects in eastern NC, it's clear that only the US 70 corridor has a high priority. It will get built. The others ... not for a long time.

Buffaboy

Why does CLT need express lanes? From when I was there over the summer, the traffic on I-77 seemed to move freely.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Buffaboy on January 23, 2016, 09:39:12 PM
Why does CLT need express lanes? From when I was there over the summer, the traffic on I-77 seemed to move freely.

Which section of I-77 where you on and what time of day?  I-77 is horriblely underpowered with only 2 lanes each way North of I-485.  Traffic there can be a nightmare.

WashuOtaku

Then you didn't drive on it during rush hour.

Mileage Mike

77 is the most congested highway in the state. It's way overcapacity in both directions even off peak hours. The only part that flows smoothly is between 85 and 485 and that's because it's the only section with 4 lanes on each side. The part south of 85 needs to be at least 5 lanes each side but is currently only 3.

bob7374

NCDOT has chosen preferred alternatives for Complete 540 project around Raleigh:
https://apps.ncdot.gov/NewsReleases/details.aspx?r=12208

MazdaStrider

Quote from: bob7374 on February 03, 2016, 12:01:53 PM
NCDOT has chosen preferred alternatives for Complete 540 project around Raleigh:

That means there is going to be a complex interchange between I-40, US 70 and NC 540 southeast of Raleigh. I wonder how will location look like when it is open.

wdcrft63

Quote from: MazdaStrider on February 03, 2016, 12:52:31 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on February 03, 2016, 12:01:53 PM

That means there is going to be a complex interchange between I-40, US 70 and NC 540 southeast of Raleigh. I wonder how will location look like when it is open.

No surprise at this choice. Construction could begin by the end of 2017.

The Ghostbuster

I wish they would do away with that toll law so all of NC 540 could be Interstate 540 the entire way around the beltway.

froggie

What toll law?  There's nothing in Federal law stopping NC from requesting adding 540 as an Interstate.  If there's a "toll law", it's at the state level.

froggie

On the subject of 540, I had come up with an interchange concept several years ago for a theoretical 40/540/70 East junction.  I may clean it up for better presentation.

The Ghostbuster

I thought there was a law prohibiting toll roads from becoming Interstates, on an account of how they were funded. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this law the reason Virginia's Highway 895 is a state highway and not an Interstate? I also assumed this law is why the toll portions of the 540 beltway also have to be a state highway and not an Interstate.

froggie

There's a general prohibition against toll roads receiving Federal highway funding, but Federal law does allow new toll roads *NOT* built with Federal funding to be added to the Interstate system if they're logical extensions and are constructed to Interstate standards.  Relatively recent examples include I-185 in SC and I-355 in the outer Chicago suburbs.

The reason for why VA 895 wasn't added was because Federal highway funding was used in its planning.  This may be the same reason why 540 south of RTP wasn't added as an Interstate, either.

wdcrft63

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 03, 2016, 03:00:06 PM
I wish they would do away with that toll law so all of NC 540 could be Interstate 540 the entire way around the beltway.
Although NCDOT is famous for upgrading freeways to interstate status, I don't think it has any intention of asking for an interstate designation for the toll sections of the beltway. Once upon a time there was a thought that the completed beltway would be renunbered I-640, but that I believe that idea is dead now that everyone is accustomed to calling the road 540.

bob7374

Quote from: CanesFan27 on January 01, 2016, 05:48:43 PM

WRAL has a report about upgrades planned for the US 70 corridor. The report says that NCDOT will be putting up 'Future Interstate Corridor' signs soon:
http://www.wral.com/us-70-expansion-could-soon-be-reality/15305954/

This blog piece discusses possible numbers for the future interstate corridors:
http://letsgetmoving.org/rta-blog/raleigh-norfolk-495-44-50-89-56/

orulz

Quote from: froggie on February 03, 2016, 03:38:28 PM
On the subject of 540, I had come up with an interchange concept several years ago for a theoretical 40/540/70 East junction.  I may clean it up for better presentation.

I too find this interchange to be fascinating.

The Environmental Impact Statement does show a proposed design. It looks like a cross between a turbine and a giant high speed three and a half level stacked incomplete roundabout, with the existing cloverleaf kept plus three new ones. The turbiney-roundabouty thingy has two weaves shown, plus two weaves between cloverleafs.

The weave on I-40E is long so it would probably be OK but it's a little disappointing to me that US70W -> NC540W doesn't get a flyover.

Something tells me this design is still a work in progress.
https://xfer.services.ncdot.gov/PDEA/Web/Complete540/maps/C540_6A_PHM.pdf - see the one marked "Orange to Green"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.