News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Quote from: The GhostbusterHow accurate are the claims that this project is unneeded?

[citation needed]

Strider

Quote from: wdcrft63 on June 02, 2016, 02:19:15 PM
Breaking news: the NC House has voted to cancel the contract for the I-77 toll lanes.
http://www.wral.com/house-tells-i-77-toll-road-contractor-to-hit-the-road/15747591/

Good. The company itself is trouble. Look at what happened to TX Toll Road 130. The contract was trouble from the beginning.

LM117

I forgot to mention this before, but utility relocation work on US-117 at the intersections of Oberry Road in Dudley and Country Club Road just north of Mount Olive is set to begin soon, if it hasn't begun already. It's being done in preparation for upgrading those intersections to interchanges in order to help bring US-117 to Interstate standards for the extension of I-795 from Goldsboro to I-40 near Faison. The Oberry Road intersection currently has the only traffic light on US-117 between the Mar-Mac area of southern Goldsboro and I-40. I believe NCDOT will also widen the shoulders on US-117 in the vicinity of those two interchanges as part of the projects. The actual construction is set to begin sometime next year.

This was the only article I could find that mentions the utility relocation. I'm not currently a subscriber to the News-Argus (there's a paywall), but in case some of you are, here ya go. The article is dated April 19. At least the first paragraph gives the gist of it for the poor folk like me.  :awesomeface:

http://www.newsargus.com/news/archives/2016/04/19/us_117_utility_work_to_begin/
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

CanesFan27

Quote from: LM117 on May 29, 2016, 03:30:03 PM
Quote from: orulz on May 29, 2016, 02:51:24 PM
My in-laws live in New Bern and I live in the triangle so mostly I drive 70 on weekends, and find that the congestion has always been worse in Kinston so I wondered why the second Goldsboro bypass got priority over Kinston but I respect that if it is a rush hour bottleneck then Goldsboro did indeed deserve to come first. However Kinston definitely should come next after Havelock.

LGL33L

The US-70/Grantham Street interchange in Goldsboro was a big problem at rush hour, but there's also 8 traffic lights, most of them one right after another, between the US-70/Grantham Street interchange and the western end of the Goldsboro Bypass that also added to the headache. I agree that the Kinston Bypass needs to be built once the Havelock Bypass is done.

Well considering Kinston is the only town left on 70 that really needs to be bypassed - kinda easy to say that.

LM117

Quote from: CanesFan27 on June 04, 2016, 04:32:42 PM
Quote from: LM117 on May 29, 2016, 03:30:03 PM
Quote from: orulz on May 29, 2016, 02:51:24 PM
My in-laws live in New Bern and I live in the triangle so mostly I drive 70 on weekends, and find that the congestion has always been worse in Kinston so I wondered why the second Goldsboro bypass got priority over Kinston but I respect that if it is a rush hour bottleneck then Goldsboro did indeed deserve to come first. However Kinston definitely should come next after Havelock.

LGL33L

The US-70/Grantham Street interchange in Goldsboro was a big problem at rush hour, but there's also 8 traffic lights, most of them one right after another, between the US-70/Grantham Street interchange and the western end of the Goldsboro Bypass that also added to the headache. I agree that the Kinston Bypass needs to be built once the Havelock Bypass is done.

Well considering Kinston is the only town left on 70 that really needs to be bypassed - kinda easy to say that.

Welp, we certainly walked into that one!  :pan:

LM117

The lastest I-87 blog from the Raleigh RTA had some interesting points. I expect the Super 70 Corridor Commission will be putting the same pressure on NCDOT to have I-42 shields go up in Clayton and Goldsboro. I guess the RTA didn't get the memo that NCDOT already said they would seek to have interstate standard sections of both corridors added to the Interstate system. I think AASHTO's next meeting this fall will be worth looking forward to.

http://letsgetmoving.org/priorities/freeways/interstate-87/

QuoteThe RTA business coalition will seek the timely installation of "Interstate 87"  signage from its southern terminus at I-40 (exit 301) in southeast Raleigh to at least I-540 along the US 64/264 (currently I-495) corridor east of Raleigh.

The RTA will also seek the timely installation of "Future I-87"  signage along the remaining portions of the existing "Future I-495"  corridor west of I-95 and the corridor segments along US 64 and US 17 east of I-95.

LM117

I just thought of something. When US-117 between Goldsboro and I-40 near Faison was signed into law as a future interstate, was the I-795 designation itself written into law or will NCDOT have to get a waiver from FHWA to keep I-795 as-is without renumbering to an even number once US-117 is upgraded and the area between Mar-Mac and Ash Street bypassed? Everything I've read from NCDOT indicates that they intend on keeping the I-795 designation once it's extended, but I don't know if they'll need a waiver from FHWA or not.  :hmmm:

NE2

...an odd first digit can end at another Interstate...
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bob7374

Quote from: LM117 on June 05, 2016, 08:23:22 PM
I just thought of something. When US-117 between Goldsboro and I-40 near Faison was signed into law as a future interstate, was the I-795 designation itself written into law or will NCDOT have to get a waiver from FHWA to keep I-795 as-is without renumbering to an even number once US-117 is upgraded and the area between Mar-Mac and Ash Street bypassed? Everything I've read from NCDOT indicates that they intend on keeping the I-795 designation once it's extended, but I don't know if they'll need a waiver from FHWA or not.  :hmmm:
An odd number can run between two interstates, however, I believe the FHWA would prefer an even number. In the case of I-540, NCDOT did ask for and got a waiver from the FHWA so as not to have to renumber it I-640 when the I-495 designation was approved and that route was now to run between two interstates.

NJRoadfan

The I-85 reconstruction in the northern part of the state is moving along. The northbound side is completely shut down and everything is in a cattle shoot setup on the southbound side from the VA/NC state line to just shy of the Vance/Warren County line. There is additional work at the US-1 interchange (Exit 218), but exited off before so I wasn't able to get a good look at what was going on there. Was it in the plans to reconfigure that left exit?

mvak36

Quote from: bob7374 on June 05, 2016, 11:25:14 PM
An odd number can run between two interstates, however, I believe the FHWA would prefer an even number. In the case of I-540, NCDOT did ask for and got a waiver from the FHWA so as not to have to renumber it I-640 when the I-495 designation was approved and that route was now to run between two interstates.

Speaking of 540, once that beltway is done, will they make the whole thing I-540? Not that it's needed or anything, just curious.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

WashuOtaku

Quote from: mvak36 on June 06, 2016, 12:44:29 AM
Quote from: bob7374 on June 05, 2016, 11:25:14 PM
Speaking of 540, once that beltway is done, will they make the whole thing I-540? Not that it's needed or anything, just curious.

No.  I-540 will continue as it exists as seen today, it will not be extended or renumbered.  The new sections of the beltway will be signed NC 540 because those too will be toll roads.  NC 540 will exist as long as the toll roads remain, which is 30 years after completion.

froggie

However, with recent changes in Federal law regarding toll roads and Interstates, there is now nothing stopping NCDOT from requesting that I-540 be extended along the TriEx.  This did not exist when the first segments of NC 540 opened south of I-40.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: froggie on June 06, 2016, 08:52:46 AM
However, with recent changes in Federal law regarding toll roads and Interstates, there is now nothing stopping NCDOT from requesting that I-540 be extended along the TriEx.  This did not exist when the first segments of NC 540 opened south of I-40.

Possibly, but I believe NCDOT will keep this setup because it breaks the difference clearly between toll and non-tolled section. 

jdunlop

Quote from: NJRoadfan on June 06, 2016, 12:24:30 AM
The I-85 reconstruction in the northern part of the state is moving along. The northbound side is completely shut down and everything is in a cattle shoot setup on the southbound side from the VA/NC state line to just shy of the Vance/Warren County line. There is additional work at the US-1 interchange (Exit 218), but exited off before so I wasn't able to get a good look at what was going on there. Was it in the plans to reconfigure that left exit?

No, the project is a bridge/pavement rehab project, so the configuration remained the same.  This is TIP project I-0914BA; the section north (to the state line) is BB.

wdcrft63

Do we have a misunderstanding here? My belief was that the even first digit indicates that the route will loop, that is, it will return to the parent; the odd first digit indicates that the route will not return to the parent, whether it ends at another interstate or not. As long ago as 1976, I-35W in Kansas was renumbered I-135, not I-235; it connects I-35 to I-70. I was surprised that NC got I-495 to run from I-95 to I-540; I thought that number should have had an odd first digit. If I'm right about this, there's no problem with I-795 when it is extended.

LM117

Quote from: wdcrft63 on June 06, 2016, 04:00:02 PM

Do we have a misunderstanding here? My belief was that the even first digit indicates that the route will loop, that is, it will return to the parent; the odd first digit indicates that the route will not return to the parent, whether it ends at another interstate or not. As long ago as 1976, I-35W in Kansas was renumbered I-135, not I-235; it connects I-35 to I-70. I was surprised that NC got I-495 to run from I-95 to I-540; I thought that number should have had an odd first digit. If I'm right about this, there's no problem with I-795 when it is extended.

Apparently. I always thought that a 3-di that either connected to another interstate or reconnected with it's parent had to have an even 1st digit, which is why NCDOT asked FHWA for a waiver to keep I-540 as-is once I-495 was signed on the Knightdale Bypass and a 3-di that didn't connect to another interstate or reconnect with it's parent had to have an odd 1st digit. If I remember correctly, NCDOT submitted I-185 to AASHTO for US-52 from I-85 in Lexington to I-40 in Winston-Salem but it got rejected because of the odd 1st digit and was subsequently changed to Future I-285. I'm aware of odd-numbered 3-di's elsewhere that reconnected with their parents or connected with another interstate but I figured they were either grandfathered, waivered by FHWA, or written into law. I don't have a problem with I-795 keeping it's designation (I actually prefer it that way).

CanesFan27

Bruce Siceloff - aka the Road Worrier - wrote his last column for the N&O two weeks ago.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/traffic/road-worrier-blog/article79284317.html

He and his wife received Fulbright scholar grants to teach in Montenegro.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: wdcrft63 on June 06, 2016, 04:00:02 PM

The current rules are thus:  If its Odd, it's a spur; if its even, then it is either a loop or connector.  I-495 was a connector, between I-440 and I-540 and eventually I-95.  Future I-285 is also a connector between I-85 and I-40.  If its odd and connects to another interstate, it could be renumbered or be waived for various reasons.

wdcrft63

Quote from: WashuOtaku on June 06, 2016, 06:33:55 PM
The current rules are thus:  If its Odd, it's a spur; if its even, then it is either a loop or connector.  I-495 was a connector, between I-440 and I-540 and eventually I-95.  Future I-285 is also a connector between I-85 and I-40.  If its odd and connects to another interstate, it could be renumbered or be waived for various reasons.
I can think of at least three cases of spurs that have become (or are becoming) connectors:

I-180 in PA (connects I-80 to Future I-99)
I-155 in TN (connects I-55 to Future I-69)
I-310 in LA (connects I-10 to Future I-49)

As far as I know, there's no move to renumber any of these.

amroad17

Also, I-380 in Pennsylvania connecting I-80 to I-84 (and I-81).  To me this is a spur route which happens to connect to another interstate--which is not I-80.  Just because the plan is for this freeway to connect to I-40 does not necessarily mean that I-795 would have to change to I-695 or I-895.  I-795 effectively acts as a spur from I-95.  In the plan, I-795 would not return to I-95.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

WashuOtaku

Quote from: amroad17 on June 07, 2016, 03:39:41 AM
Also, I-380 in Pennsylvania connecting I-80 to I-84 (and I-81).  To me this is a spur route which happens to connect to another interstate--which is not I-80.  Just because the plan is for this freeway to connect to I-40 does not necessarily mean that I-795 would have to change to I-695 or I-895.  I-795 effectively acts as a spur from I-95.  In the plan, I-795 would not return to I-95.

Agreed, which is why we are saying words like "could" and "may" here.

ARMOURERERIC

Is there a site that shows future road improvement proposals in NC? Having driven from Hickory to Lenoir several times in the last week, the corridor really seems to need freewayization, does the ADT justify that?  Also, as a cool FYI, I was in a retaurant on Sunday, AJ's that had lots of pics of a 1950's era rotary at what is now the 321/64/90/18 intersection.

Mapmikey

Some stuff is here - http://www.ncdot.gov/projects/projectsstudies/default.html?Region=*&Counties=*
Interactive map of their 10-year STIP - https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/Pages/State-Transportation-Improvement-Program.aspx
Looks like some longer range stuff can be accessed here - https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/Pages/Comprehensive-Transportation-Plans.aspx?county=Caldwell

It appears they want to widen 321 to 6 lanes and there is a superstreet conversion project near Lenoir in the STIP...

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 08, 2016, 06:55:51 AM
Some stuff is here - http://www.ncdot.gov/projects/projectsstudies/default.html?Region=*&Counties=*
Interactive map of their 10-year STIP - https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/Pages/State-Transportation-Improvement-Program.aspx
Looks like some longer range stuff can be accessed here - https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/Pages/Comprehensive-Transportation-Plans.aspx?county=Caldwell

It appears they want to widen 321 to 6 lanes and there is a superstreet conversion project near Lenoir in the STIP...

Thank you, I will scope that out.  Just an FYI, there has been HUGE surveying activity on I-40 between at least exit 116 (where I exit to go home from my new job) and exit 125 where a 6 lane section from the east and Conover ends.  With a massive EB traffic jam Sunday for a minimum of 8 miles or more Sunday evening with tourists coming back from Asheville, and improvement out here will be big.

OT, Damm the economy here is sooooo much better than in California.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.