News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

DBR96A

Quote from: NE2 on August 21, 2013, 10:29:46 PM
Quote from: DBR96A on August 21, 2013, 10:19:46 PM
It also looks like they're trying to connect every town with more than one traffic signal with a limited-access highway.
https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/Pages/StrategicHighwayCorridors.aspx
https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/TPB%20%20Strategic%20Highway%20Corridors/Strategic%20Highway%20Corridors%20Vision%20Plan.pdf shows the corridors (blue=freeway).

Interesting map. It still seems like overkill, though. The only new limited-access highway extensions that seem justifiable to me are Charlotte to Wilmington, Greensboro to Fayetteville, and Raleigh to the Outer Banks. The rest of them seem like they'd be adequately taken care of by "arterial" highways.

CanesFan27

Quote from: DBR96A on August 21, 2013, 11:24:22 PM
It also looks like they're trying to connect every town with more than one traffic signal with a limited-access highway.
https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/Pages/StrategicHighwayCorridors.aspx
https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/TPB%20%20Strategic%20Highway%20Corridors/Strategic%20Highway%20Corridors%20Vision%20Plan.pdf shows the corridors (blue=freeway).

Interesting map. It still seems like overkill, though. The only new limited-access highway extensions that seem justifiable to me are Charlotte to Wilmington, Greensboro to Fayetteville, and Raleigh to the Outer Banks. The rest of them seem like they'd be adequately taken care of by "arterial" highways.

The key phrase here is "justifiable to you".  So what about freeway bypasses of the towns of over 20,000 people - is that "justifiable to you".  Or should they be handled by arterial type roads? 

Again just because something appears that way on a map, doesn't mean it to be true.  Drive through old US 311 in High Point and let me know if that freeway bypass and connections to I-40 and I-85 isn't necessary.  Drive through Business 40 in Winston and let me know if they shouldn't have built the freeway bypass to the south.  Let me know how Asheboro doesn't need a US 64/NC 49 bypass.

If there is one point of reasoning I hate is,"Well I saw this on the map and so they should or shouldn't do this."

The overall SHC is a long term goal with many of these items not seeing the light of day for a long time.  US 70 from I-40 to Morehead City sure it's fine right now - but a full freeway bypass of Goldsboro is necessary when you look at the planned growth of the port in Morehead City and the state's plan - albeit very hopeful - for the Global Transpark in Kinston.  Yeah, US 70 could even be an expressway in the rural areas outside of Kinston and Goldsboro - but the plan to have the road a freeway means a full fledged limited access from the Port of Morehead City to I-95 and I-40. 

But to the original point about being too many freeeways in the Triad just because "well, i looked on a road atlas and it just doesn't look right" and assuming that each of the towns are one stoplight especially when I gather you've never been to the Triad is downright absurd.

MBHockey13

Quote from: CanesFan27 on August 22, 2013, 08:37:45 AM

The key phrase here is "justifiable to you".  So what about freeway bypasses of the towns of over 20,000 people - is that "justifiable to you".  Or should they be handled by arterial type roads? 

Again just because something appears that way on a map, doesn't mean it to be true.  Drive through old US 311 in High Point and let me know if that freeway bypass and connections to I-40 and I-85 isn't necessary.  Drive through Business 40 in Winston and let me know if they shouldn't have built the freeway bypass to the south.  Let me know how Asheboro doesn't need a US 64/NC 49 bypass.

If there is one point of reasoning I hate is,"Well I saw this on the map and so they should or shouldn't do this."

The overall SHC is a long term goal with many of these items not seeing the light of day for a long time.  US 70 from I-40 to Morehead City sure it's fine right now - but a full freeway bypass of Goldsboro is necessary when you look at the planned growth of the port in Morehead City and the state's plan - albeit very hopeful - for the Global Transpark in Kinston.  Yeah, US 70 could even be an expressway in the rural areas outside of Kinston and Goldsboro - but the plan to have the road a freeway means a full fledged limited access from the Port of Morehead City to I-95 and I-40. 

But to the original point about being too many freeeways in the Triad just because "well, i looked on a road atlas and it just doesn't look right" and assuming that each of the towns are one stoplight especially when I gather you've never been to the Triad is downright absurd.

I agree. That person has obviously never driven here - or gotten off the interstates on their ride through.

WashuOtaku

LOL, you wouldn't say that if you lived in North Carolina.   :happy:

bob7374

A new interstate route in NC as of July 31. NCDOT now has permission to sign the eastern section of I-840 from I-40/85 to US 70, all 2.2 miles of it, also as I-785.

The official documentation here: https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/2013_07_31.pdf

dfilpus

Quote from: bob7374 on August 27, 2013, 10:27:57 PM
A new interstate route in NC as of July 31. NCDOT now has permission to sign the eastern section of I-840 from I-40/85 to US 70, all 2.2 miles of it, also as I-785.

The official documentation here: https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/2013_07_31.pdf
Currently, this route is signed as Future I-840. We'll see if it will be signed Future I-785 as well.

NE2

WTF? The map on the last page shows it running down US 29 all the way to downtown Greensboro.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

CanesFan27

I have to admit I'm selfishly waiting to learn when I-495 gets approved.

Mapmikey

Quote from: NE2 on August 27, 2013, 10:55:12 PM

WTF? The map on the last page shows it running down US 29 all the way to downtown Greensboro.

That map is from 1997.  My guess is that the original thought was to send I-785 all the way down 29.  Then it probably occurred to NCDOT that doing that would be costly and time-consuming.

The original NCRoads.com entry for I-785 described the routing as using I-840 like it will be today and the webpage was dated in 2001.

Mapmikey

Strider

Yeah, the original plan for I-785 is to run it down US 29 to I-40/Bus 85 (former I-85 routing at that time). However, it's too expensive due to too many crossroads, tight loops, no shoulders in some places, the frontage roads paralleling too close, and other things.

But, I am right. the 2.2 mile I-840 from I-80/85/Bus 85 up to US 70 should be named I-785 along with I-840. Glad they got it approved.

DSS5

New style signs are going up around Watauga Co. prohibiting trucks along NC 194 near Valle Crucis, along with a new sign prohibiting them on Wilson's Ridge Road outside of Boone. The current signs just say "Not recommended for vehicles over 35 ft. in length," but tractor-trailer accidents along 194 continue to be common. Truckers have reported not seeing the signs. Hopefully the new look, along with the "prohibited" language, will reduce accidents.

OracleUsr

Good plan; I'm not sure I'd take my car up 194 between Beech Mountain and Valle Crucis, let alone a semi.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

english si

Quote from: CanesFan27 on August 28, 2013, 08:06:20 AMI have to admit I'm selfishly waiting to learn when I-495 gets approved.
I'm pretty sure it has.

Or is FHWA kicking up a fuss?

DSS5

Quote from: OracleUsr on October 24, 2013, 01:40:51 PM
Good plan; I'm not sure I'd take my car up 194 between Beech Mountain and Valle Crucis, let alone a semi.

It's definitely not a good idea, but GPSs set for the Banner Elk/Newland/Linville area often lead truckers down that route, especially if they are programmed to give "shortest distance" rather than "fastest time."

hbelkins

Quote from: DSS5 on October 24, 2013, 11:53:24 AM

Punctuation. Learn it, love it, live it. Whoever designed that sign must be female and pregnant because they missed a period - or at the very least, a semicolon.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

PColumbus73

I think the MUTCD frowns upon punctuation on signage

Alps

Quote from: PColumbus73 on October 24, 2013, 10:55:27 PM
I think the MUTCD frowns upon punctuation on signage
Yeah, but when your sentence break is in the middle of a line, you need SOMETHING

agentsteel53

that sign just plain sucks.  I would see that as:

"thru tractor-trailers" - that's me!
"prohibited turn around" - okay, wasn't planning on it.
"and follow truck route" - gonna assume that's forward of here, so forward we go.

and thus, the intent of the sign ends up perfectly inverted.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

DSS5

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 25, 2013, 09:21:24 AM
that sign just plain sucks.  I would see that as:

"thru tractor-trailers" - that's me!
"prohibited turn around" - okay, wasn't planning on it.
"and follow truck route" - gonna assume that's forward of here, so forward we go.

and thus, the intent of the sign ends up perfectly inverted.

It's worth noting that sign is on the road itself, the same style signs (haven't been out there to see the text) are up before the turn onto that road. So if you're a thru trucker on that route you've already fucked up.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: english si on October 24, 2013, 02:06:20 PM
Quote from: CanesFan27 on August 28, 2013, 08:06:20 AMI have to admit I'm selfishly waiting to learn when I-495 gets approved.
I'm pretty sure it has.

Or is FHWA kicking up a fuss?

Nope, not yet.  NCDOT has to improve the older sections of US 64 first before they sign-off on the new designation.

PColumbus73

I'd like to see North Carolina get rid of some of their bannered routes. Like Business I-85 going through Greensboro, High Point, and Lexington. Would it be simpler to drop the Business 85 shields and leave it as US 29/70? Or Business and Alternate 74 (which turn into one another between Maxton and I-95), does having so many business, bypass, alt routes get confusing?

WashuOtaku

Quote from: PColumbus73 on October 26, 2013, 03:52:42 PM
I'd like to see North Carolina get rid of some of their bannered routes. Like Business I-85 going through Greensboro, High Point, and Lexington. Would it be simpler to drop the Business 85 shields and leave it as US 29/70? Or Business and Alternate 74 (which turn into one another between Maxton and I-95), does having so many business, bypass, alt routes get confusing?

Not really.  Same rules apply in North Carolina as do in South Carolina on what banner type is used and they are understood for.  :pan:

DSS5

Okay, what's with the 'OBX' license plates. I've noticed that locals in the Outer Banks always have license plates that say 'OBX' followed by 5 random numbers. Is there a reason for this other than to tell them apart from the locals.

dfilpus

North Carolina has two geographically oriented license plate series: OBX for Outer Banks and GTP for the Global TransPark (Goldsboro). Each is issued in the license plate offices in the area defined. The numbers are issued serially, but have been issued for years, so the numbers issued are getting large.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.