News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Isn't this all scheduled to reopen now by Fall?
Pacific Southwest / Re: WaPo: Why Highway 1 is the...
Last post by cahwyguy - Today at 05:17:38 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 07, 2024, 03:05:45 PMPretty sure it can be fixed. It's just not gonna be a quick cheap fix like it used to be in the past. I'm kinda talking out of my ass On that one because I don't know Much about the history of landslides in this area that i'm sure they've happened many times before. Climate change or not erosion. It's going to happen and if it happens more frequently due to climate change then Caltrans can come up with better solutions for more resilient roads. More bridges and tunnels might have to be part of the long term solution.

More working through the older posts for the highway pages...

There's a presumption here that it is always possible or feasible to build a tunnel or bridges. In reality, soil conditions and geological factors may preclude tunnels. Ventilation issues may preclude tunnels. Length, and the ability for access for emergency vehicles may preclude tunnels.  And, of course, cost may preclude tunnels, as tunneling is expensive.

Bridges have other issues, from suitable anchor points to suspension issues. Bridges also require ends, and locating and building the highway to those ends is also an issue. The geology for anchoring the ends.

This boils down to the old "lines on a map" problem.  You can't just draw the line and assume some road is feasible. Were Sparker still here, he'd point out many roads in the state that just couldn't be built due to geology or ownership problems.

Unless you are a SME (subject matter expert) in the particular area and soils, it is better to observe.
What is the second Tulare County Route you've seen signs for?  I've only ever found J37 within Tulare County.  J37/Balch Park Road had some serious punching weight historically given that was supposed to be part of the Lone Pine-Porterville High Sierra Road to Horseshoe Meadows.
General Highway Talk / Re: Highways You Have Clinched
Last post by pderocco - Today at 05:09:52 PM
As long as we're discussing unimportant local routes...

Yesterday, I clinched California CR-J26, Olive Ave, which connects Porterville to Tipton. Why I keep clinching these flat straight boring routes that Tulare County has removed all the signage from, I don't know.

Just before that, though, I drove up to the transmitter site on Blue Ridge, up Mountain Route 276, off of CR-J37 Balch Park Rd, one of the two Tulare County routes that I've still seen signs on. That's got a helluva view.

I got there via Great Western Divide Hwy and CA-190, and that whole area has burned. I've been on all the through-roads in that area many times, but now they look like different roads, because they all have wide open views. There are several one-lane stretches of 190 that have temporary traffic lights on them, so the road is going to look more modern and substantial when it's done, with concrete and steel guard rails. J37, however, is still closed at Mountain Route 220, and will likely remain that way for a while, since no one lives up there.
Off-Topic / Re: Homeowners share the minor...
Last post by SectorZ - Today at 04:41:38 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on Today at 02:34:29 PM
Quote from: vdeane on Today at 12:02:00 PMThe original Reddit question the responses were pulled from (yep, the author just copied a bunch of stuff from Reddit and called it a story)

Is this the new "copy and paste from Wikipedia"?

The offshoot of "here's five tweets about an event that means this is what everyone thinks about the matter" stories.
Central States / Re: Missouri
Last post by mrose - Today at 04:41:13 PM
Do they still have 1,000 billboards for Meramec Caverns on I-44?

My favorite one was when you passed the exit and there was another billboard that said "You Missed It!"
One guy on Skyscraperpage forum have a good sense of humor about the Gordie Howe Bridge.
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10211965&postcount=212

Road Trips / Re: What road did you leave on...
Last post by bwana39 - Today at 04:28:44 PM
Left on TX-8 / AR-41

Returned on US-71.
Traffic Control / Re: Most Worthless Control Cit...
Last post by roadman65 - Today at 04:12:34 PM
I noticed that in Morgantown, WV the City of Fairmount or Fairmont is used for SB I-79 from I-68 instead of Charleston.

Shouldn't the state capital and first largest city along the route be used over a smaller city?
Off-Topic / Re: Minor things that bother y...
Last post by roadman65 - Today at 03:29:52 PM
Bruce Willis is dead according to Facebook.

Where is Fact Check?

They only seem to be around scrutinizing when it's about political comments. Not anything else.

Willis is alive. Maybe not well health wise, but alive.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.