News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Overhead Sign Gantrys -- The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly

Started by thenetwork, July 18, 2009, 10:51:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadfro

Quote from: kurumi on September 23, 2009, 01:23:03 AM
What bugs me about California gantries:
- all signs forced to same height, regardless of content
- exit "tabs" jammed into sign panel

Nevada also does this. There may be some small fluctuation, but for the most part every sign on a gantry is the same height. To me, the signs just look better that way.  Pictures of signs in other states, where one sign on a gantry might be twice as tall as another, seem odd to me. Signs mounted at various heights seem like it would be harder for a driver to quickly glance at the signs and glean their information, because the eyes have to dart up and down to different heights.  I don't know...maybe it just what I'm used to.

I understand the reasoning behind CalTrans drawing the tabs within the main sign panel. I do think, though, that they should start using separate tabs where possible. Right now, I think there's a lot of places where they could use standard tabs but just choose not to.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.