News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: SignBridge on September 26, 2016, 08:17:12 PM
Well now LOL, there's a novel idea! Putting wording on an exit sign to help get traffic to the right place. Who would have thought? (chuckle!)
My GPS is not working today lol!

However we have the Disney places on the signs here, especially on I-4.

I have no problem with the idea, but it does seem strange though.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Finally have some news on MUTCD signage between 9 and 14.

First, for you button copy enthusiasts, this sign bridge is gone completely. Has new MUTCD complaint bridge.

Seeing the empty gap at the bottom of the 95/NJTP pullthroughs. Did not see greenout. Not sure if they will add New York later or what the plan is there.

New sign up at 13A. Newark Airport is in a white on brown box, like this. Not using either the EWR logo (like NJDOT does) or the generic MUTCD airport plane symbol, which is an interesting choice to me.

Gore point exit signs are up. In places where there isn't a lot of room, they're putting them vertically on a skinny sign, with the word exit on top, exit number in the middle, and arrow on the bottom. they need this for several exits where there isn't a lot of room. they're not using very sturdy supports either it looks like. I think the days where they use the steel tubes for small green signs is done.

Still curious to see how they're going to handle signing the connections at 14 and the Newark Bay Extension.

cl94

I can confirm that several signs north of the recent widening have been replaced. Drove the Turnpike south of the Garden State yesterday afternoon.

Has there been any talk of widening the Turnpike to 6 lanes south of Exit 4? Volumes were quite high yesterday when driving back from the Birmingham meet.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cl94 on October 11, 2016, 11:14:29 AM
I can confirm that several signs north of the recent widening have been replaced. Drove the Turnpike south of the Garden State yesterday afternoon.

Has there been any talk of widening the Turnpike to 6 lanes south of Exit 4? Volumes were quite high yesterday when driving back from the Birmingham meet.

There is no active talking going on from what I can see...at least that involves outside consultants, design, funding, etc.  When overpasses have been replaced they have lengthened them to permit 3, if not 4, lanes per direction. 

The volume is high most afternoon rush hours southbound between Interchanges 4 and 3 where it's becoming common to experience some congestion especially around the service plaza and approaching Interchange 3, and on many summer and holiday weekends.  The situation is getting worse during those time periods, based on my observations.  Outside of that, they are generally free-flowing. 

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 11, 2016, 12:47:47 PM
Quote from: cl94 on October 11, 2016, 11:14:29 AM

There is no active talking going on from what I can see...at least that involves outside consultants, design, funding, etc.  When overpasses have been replaced they have lengthened them to permit 3, if not 4, lanes per direction. 

The volume is high most afternoon rush hours southbound between Interchanges 4 and 3 where it's becoming common to experience some congestion especially around the service plaza and approaching Interchange 3, and on many summer and holiday weekends.  The situation is getting worse during those time periods, based on my observations.  Outside of that, they are generally free-flowing. 

Isn't it understood that the NJTA management wants to see what the impact of completing I-95 through the interchange at Bristol, Pennsylvania (if the PTC ever gets it done) will have on Turnpike traffic and revenue between 1 and 6 before they decide to spend dollars on a design for and widening of the Turnpike south of 4?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cl94

I'm well aware of that, but it'll still be faster for through traffic to continue using the Turnpike, if only because of the higher speed limit and not having to drive through Philly.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

NJRoadfan

Increased traffic, particularly southbound, is likely a side effect of the Exit 6 to 9 widening project. Now that the traffic bottleneck has been removed. It'll be interesting to see where the new bottlenecks are further south in the regional road network. Its clearly affecting the NJTP-Delaware Memorial Bridge corridor, don't know about the PA Turnpike system.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NJRoadfan on October 11, 2016, 06:23:09 PM
Increased traffic, particularly southbound, is likely a side effect of the Exit 6 to 9 widening project. Now that the traffic bottleneck has been removed. It'll be interesting to see where the new bottlenecks are further south in the regional road network. Its clearly affecting the NJTP-Delaware Memorial Bridge corridor, don't know about the PA Turnpike system.

I don't think it has that effect. There's a construction project on 295 In Delaware that they clearly messed up with the stripping and signage, and it's causing some major backups thru the toll plaza.

As far as 1-4 widening, I don't know if they're necessarily waiting, as any new overpass design even as far back as the mid 1990's (NJ 42) accounted for a potential widening.  Compared to the days of the old Interchange 1, they at least haven't had to close the highway at Interchange 4 due to insane congestion issues.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 11, 2016, 09:57:33 PM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on October 11, 2016, 06:23:09 PM

I don't think it has that effect. There's a construction project on 295 In Delaware that they clearly messed up with the stripping and signage, and it's causing some major backups thru the toll plaza.

As far as 1-4 widening, I don't know if they're necessarily waiting, as any new overpass design even as far back as the mid 1990's (NJ 42) accounted for a potential widening.  Compared to the days of the old Interchange 1, they at least haven't had to close the highway at Interchange 4 due to insane congestion issues.
Unfortunately I think you're wrong on both counts. Removal of the merge bottleneck does allow more long-distance traffic to get down the Turnpike at once. Also, they are very much waiting on the PA connection to open to reassess widening.

cl94

Unfortunately I think you're wrong on both counts. Removal of the merge bottleneck does allow more long-distance traffic to get down the Turnpike at once. Also, they are very much waiting on the PA connection to open to reassess widening.
[/quote]

I agree completely with you and NJ on SB. The bottleneck point is now south of the PA turnpike, meaning that more SB long-distance traffic can indeed get to the narrow section.

And as I said before, I'm not shocked that NJTA wants to wait until the connection opens (that is, if PTC ever finishes the damn thing). I was more wondering if plans were already drawn up for potential widening scenarios so they wouldn't have to design something later on and delay construction.

Granted, once the connection opens, I'll probably drive through it once and then continue to cross at Delaware because it's more direct for through traffic, but other people and truckers might be less inclined to do so due to tolls.

SignBridge

Even with tolls, I would be much more inclined to stay on the well maintained NJT than to take my chances with traffic congestion on I-95 thru Center-City Philadelphia.

Alps

Quote from: cl94 on October 12, 2016, 08:03:22 PM

I agree completely with you and NJ on SB. The bottleneck point is now south of the PA turnpike, meaning that more SB long-distance traffic can indeed get to the narrow section.

And as I said before, I'm not shocked that NJTA wants to wait until the connection opens (that is, if PTC ever finishes the damn thing). I was more wondering if plans were already drawn up for potential widening scenarios so they wouldn't have to design something later on and delay construction.

Granted, once the connection opens, I'll probably drive through it once and then continue to cross at Delaware because it's more direct for through traffic, but other people and truckers might be less inclined to do so due to tolls.
What do you mean drawn up? They're not going to spend millions on design efforts until they've decided if they want to spend tens to hundreds of millions on the widening.

1995hoo

Seems to me whether stripping causes a backup depends on what she looks like.  :-P
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kkt

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 12, 2016, 10:50:24 PM
Seems to me whether stripping causes a backup depends on what she looks like.  :-P

:clap:

Steve D

Quote from: SignBridge on October 12, 2016, 08:08:34 PM
Even with tolls, I would be much more inclined to stay on the well maintained NJT than to take my chances with traffic congestion on I-95 thru Center-City Philadelphia.

Totally agree - why would anyone driving from NJTP for south of Wilmington want to take the new 95 route (except for sight seeing)? It's longer mileage wise and more time, even with a moderate backup at NJTP exit 1 toll.  It's more like a loop than a through route.

Don'tKnowYet

Quote from: Steve D on October 13, 2016, 10:57:22 AM

Totally agree - why would anyone driving from NJTP for south of Wilmington want to take the new 95 route (except for sight seeing)? It's longer mileage wise and more time, even with a moderate backup at NJTP exit 1 toll.  It's more like a loop than a through route.

Concur.  In addition, the Turnpike offers comforts that Pennsylvania cannot.  If you have to take an emergency dump, a Turnpike service area is at worst 10 minutes up the mainline.  I would not want to exit onto a surface street in the City of Brotherly Love to take a dumpski.

Plus, if you are disabled I'd rather be in the comforts of Turnpike tow trucks and not a chop shop off the Interstate in Philly.

jeffandnicole

Darn extra p!

Quote from: Don'tKnowYet on October 13, 2016, 11:27:20 AM

Concur.  In addition, the Turnpike offers comforts that Pennsylvania cannot.  If you have to take an emergency dump, a Turnpike service area is at worst 10 minutes up the mainline.  I would not want to exit onto a surface street in the City of Brotherly Love to take a dumpski.

Plus, if you are disabled I'd rather be in the comforts of Turnpike tow trucks and not a chop shop off the Interstate in Philly.

Well, the service plazas aren't *that* frequent...you should hit one every 30 minutes or so though.

And many people will take 95 thru Philly because they are simply following the signs for 95.  It already occurs fairly often going north thru Delaware.

dgolub

I was riding on the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail this afternoon and observed from the train that there's new MUTCD-compliant signage on the Newark Bay Extension.  Also, it looks like I-78 is now signed approaching the Holland Tunnel.  No photos, unfortunately, since it snuck up on me.

storm2k

Quote from: dgolub on October 15, 2016, 07:40:48 PM
I was riding on the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail this afternoon and observed from the train that there's new MUTCD-compliant signage on the Newark Bay Extension.  Also, it looks like I-78 is now signed approaching the Holland Tunnel.  No photos, unfortunately, since it snuck up on me.

Where at? There have been MUTCD signs for 14B for a while now. Did they replace others? I imagine that the ones at 14A will be replaced as part of the interchange work there.

OracleUsr

First time I headed to New York from DC I made the I-95 mistake, then took 168 to the Turnpike.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

dgolub

Quote from: storm2k on October 16, 2016, 12:55:42 AM

Where at? There have been MUTCD signs for 14B for a while now. Did they replace others? I imagine that the ones at 14A will be replaced as part of the interchange work there.

The Columbus Boulevard exit now has new signage.  The sign for the exit itself has an exit only tab, and the sign for the Holland Tunnel now has an I-78 shield.  That's where the train passed under.

ixnay

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 14, 2016, 02:26:44 AM

Darn extra p!

Quote from: Don'tKnowYet on October 13, 2016, 11:27:20 AM

Well, the service plazas aren't *that* frequent...you should hit one every 30 minutes or so though.

And many people will take 95 thru Philly because they are simply following the signs for 95.  It already occurs fairly often going north thru Delaware.

Here's a list of them.  Plan your drink and fuel consumption accordingly.

http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/our-roadways.html#service

ixnay

storm2k

Quote from: dgolub on October 16, 2016, 09:07:42 AM

The Columbus Boulevard exit now has new signage.  The sign for the exit itself has an exit only tab, and the sign for the Holland Tunnel now has an I-78 shield.  That's where the train passed under.

Interesting. Wasn't sure they'd replace those signs. They were replaced in the last 7 or 8 years and didn't have any Turnpike arrows or anything.

cl94

Quote from: storm2k on October 16, 2016, 11:07:21 PM
Quote from: dgolub on October 16, 2016, 09:07:42 AM

Interesting. Wasn't sure they'd replace those signs. They were replaced in the last 7 or 8 years and didn't have any Turnpike arrows or anything.

From what I can tell, everything north of the widening is being replaced (if not already done) regardless of age.

jeffandnicole

To put it in a simple list:

Service Areas by Milepost:

NB:

SB:
111.6 (Easterly Roadway Only)

Thus, they are definitely more frequent the further North you are in the state.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.