News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: Beltway on March 15, 2020, 03:12:34 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 15, 2020, 09:29:55 AM
Theres still a bigger picture here: 10-14 mile backups on 295 in the morning and afternoon, with no easy way to get to/from the Turnpike at Exit 3. It appears the Turnpike will be widened. The "long distance traffic" (and commuting in this area can be a long distance affair) can be spread around with a Turnpike interchange. 
I thought you had said that the congestion was fairly minor on I-295.  What exact parts back up like that?

Congestion south of 42 is minor. Congestion north of 42/76 can be that length routinely.

Beltway

Quote from: Alps on March 15, 2020, 09:05:35 PM
Theres still a bigger picture here: 10-14 mile backups on 295 in the morning and afternoon, with no easy way to get to/from the Turnpike at Exit 3. It appears the Turnpike will be widened. The "long distance traffic" (and commuting in this area can be a long distance affair) can be spread around with a Turnpike interchange. 
I thought you had said that the congestion was fairly minor on I-295.  What exact parts back up like that?
Congestion south of 42 is minor. Congestion north of 42/76 can be that length routinely.
So the question would be how much of that I-295 congestion would be relieved by the NJTP 6-lane widening south of Exit 4 NJ-73 Moorestown.

How much of the I-295 traffic on that segment would shift to the NJTP, would be the issue.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jeffandnicole

I'll try to explain all of this in full...

In that previous conversation, we were talking about the need for ramps from the NB Turnpike to SB NJ 42.  So I was referencing Exits 1 - 26 of I-295, from the Del. Mem. Bridge to 76/42.  I was quite clear on that.  I never said all of 295 has minor congestion.

Moving along to where traffic is heaviest is on 295 South.  On a daily basis, it is almost always congested during the afternoon rush hour from Exits 36 (NJ 73) to Exit 26 (I-76/NJ 42).  Some days, the congestion begins at Exit 40 (NJ 38).  On rainy days, it's been congested as far north as Exit 43 (Creek Road), all the way to Exit 26, a distance of 17 miles.

This may seem a little backwards especially for the afternoon rush, because this is generally the direction heading *to* Philadelphia.  There's an awful lot of county-to-county commuting in NJ which contributes to this backup, not to mention the whole 295/76/42 interchange which simply doesn't allow for the throughput and speeds necessary for the traffic is receives.  The stretches between Exits 36 to 34 (NJ 73 to NJ 70) and Exits 29 to 26 (US 30 to 76/42) are the worst and will back up first, and the rest fills in as rush hour continues on.

In the morning, there's congestion as well both directions between Exits 36 and 26, although generally not the entire length.  Due to my commuting schedule, I can usually beat much of that congestion, but will still slow down for a bit in that stretch.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Beltway on March 15, 2020, 10:50:52 PM
Quote from: Alps on March 15, 2020, 09:05:35 PM
So the question would be how much of that I-295 congestion would be relieved by the NJTP 6-lane widening south of Exit 4 NJ-73 Moorestown.

How much of the I-295 traffic on that segment would shift to the NJTP, would be the issue.

On a normal basis, I feel very little traffic congestion will be relieved. 

During the morning rush, traffic flows at probably an A or B level on the NJ Turnpike between Exits 1 to 6.  Unless there's a major incident on 295 that shuts at least a lane down, there's no real time savings by fighting to get to and from the Turnpike, especially if you're already on 295.

During the afternoon rush, usually traffic flows fine on the Turnpike, although there can be some slowdowns below the speed limit, especially if a slower trucker or LLD is on the Turnpike.  However, especially getting off at Exit 3 (NJ 168), there's often some serious congestion trying to get onto 168 in both directions.  The decal lane will be backed up...the ramp lane and shoulder lane on the ramp are congested, and it's due to getting thru the toll plaza and waiting to get onto 168.  Based on my experiences, I could be free-flowing on the Turnpike but trying to deal with 168 costs me so much time, I'd just as well stay on 295.

On holidays and summer weekends, there will probably be a significant difference though.  Traffic slows down on the Turnpike Southbound upwards of several miles approaching Exit 4 (NJ 73).  Some of that traffic shifts over to 295, creating additional congestion on 295.  A widened Turnpike will relieve that congestion, so it'll definitely assist with keeping traffic on the Turnpike, and reducing the 295 congestion caused by the overflow onto 295 at NJ 73.

So, on a regular basis, while the Turnpike will probably experience faster traffic flow with a widening, there's still gonna be significant congestion exiting at Exit 3 onto 168, so it's probably not going to be any faster overall than it is now.

Beltway

Sounds like a host of traffic problems in that corridor, a bit surprising for two parallel freeways with a total of 10 lanes, and 12 lanes north of Moorestown Exit 4.

The freeway and interchange upgrade and completed movements at I-295/NJ-42 will certainly help a lot and break the chokepoint, but from what was posted there are rush hours major congestion on I-295 from NJ-42 nearly to Mt. Holly.

Conducting an engineering study of traffic patterns in the whole I-295/NJTP corridor would be helpful, to see what widening projects and new interchange projects might alleviate the problems.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

odditude

Quote from: Beltway on March 16, 2020, 11:54:27 AM
Sounds like a host of traffic problems in that corridor, a bit surprising for two parallel freeways with a total of 10 lanes, and 12 lanes north of Moorestown Exit 4.

The freeway and interchange upgrade and completed movements at I-295/NJ-42 will certainly help a lot and break the chokepoint, but from what was posted there are rush hours major congestion on I-295 from NJ-42 nearly to Mt. Holly.

Conducting an engineering study of traffic patterns in the whole I-295/NJTP corridor would be helpful, to see what widening projects and new interchange projects might alleviate the problems.

i am not an engineer, but my observations from driving in the area for 20+ years:
  • primary issue: the 295/76/42 interchange (as widely discussed). i'd be very surprised if most of the issue didn't go away upon project completion.
  • secondary/tertiary issues: NJ 70 and NJ 73 SB are heavily congested during rush hour (which is why, as jeffandnicole pointed out, there is a worsening of traffic again north of exit 34 / NJ 70 on I-295 SB).
  • minor issue: there's also some curves between exit 32 / CR 561 and exit 28 / NJ 168 that i suspect slow up traffic a little bit

RobbieL2415

There is always the option of widening N Black Horse Pike.

storm2k

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 16, 2020, 01:34:12 PM
There is always the option of widening N Black Horse Pike.

Not without a lot of landtaking and business buy out. That stretch of roadway is loaded with businesses and homes on both sides of the road, so that's probably not feasible at all.

02 Park Ave

Will this Murphy Curfew affect Turnpike operations?
C-o-H

ixnay

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on March 16, 2020, 03:55:06 PM
Will this Murphy Curfew affect Turnpike operations?

I assume you mean https://twitter.com/KristenhCNN/status/1239562089821241345 .

However in midafternoon today came this...

https://kywnewsradio.radio.com/articles/news/murphy-closes-schools-nonessential-business-for-coronavirus

QuoteUPDATED: 3:13 p.m.

PHILADELPHIA (KYW Newsradio) – New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy announced Monday afternoon that an additional 80 residents have tested positive, bringing the state total to 178.

[...]

This came after Murphy announced earlier in the day that all public, private and parochial schools, pre-K through grade 12, and all colleges and universities will close on Wednesday, March 18, until health officials deem in-person classes to be safe.

[...]

Murphy announced Monday morning along with New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont, that all bars and restaurants in the state will close for dine-in service starting at 8 p.m. Monday. After that time, those businesses can offer only takeout and delivery services until further notice. The same restrictions apply to those two states.

[...]

Also starting Monday night, Murphy said, all non-essential and non-emergency travel in the state is "strongly discouraged" between the hours of 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. The governor emphasized this is not a curfew, just a strong suggestion.

[entire article at link]

ixnay

jeffandnicole

Quote from: odditude on March 16, 2020, 01:01:09 PM
Quote from: Beltway on March 16, 2020, 11:54:27 AM

i am not an engineer, but my observations from driving in the area for 20+ years:
  • primary issue: the 295/76/42 interchange (as widely discussed). i'd be very surprised if most of the issue didn't go away upon project completion.
  • secondary/tertiary issues: NJ 70 and NJ 73 SB are heavily congested during rush hour (which is why, as jeffandnicole pointed out, there is a worsening of traffic again north of exit 34 / NJ 70 on I-295 SB).
  • minor issue: there's also some curves between exit 32 / CR 561 and exit 28 / NJ 168 that i suspect slow up traffic a little bit

The completion of that construction will help, but not curtail, the congestion.  I have often noticed the area around 73 and 70 can be congested, but after 70 traffic gets back up to at and above the speed limit.  This shows that even if the 295/76/42 interchange project is ultra-successful, there will continue to be struggles in the area.

Also, going Northbound will probably get worse.  There will be a lot more room to get from 76 and 42 to 295 North, along with the dedicated thru routing of 295 itself.  That will simply further congest 295 Northbound.

There is absolutely no references to widening 295 north of 42 for the foreseeable next few decades.  While we have discussed the Turnpike/42 interchange in detail, there are no new interchange projects planned on the Turnpike as well in this region for the long-term future.

bluecountry

So again I notice they are putting up more milage signs for long distance cities on the NJTP, which is great, but then why is it they still have on the NJTP SB 'Camden' as the directional city North of the PATP?
It should be Philadelphia, then after it should be Wilmington/Bal-WAS.

storm2k

Quote from: bluecountry on March 16, 2020, 06:32:10 PM
So again I notice they are putting up more milage signs for long distance cities on the NJTP, which is great, but then why is it they still have on the NJTP SB 'Camden' as the directional city North of the PATP?

Camden is still a main city in NJ. It goes to Wilmington south of Exit 4 as it should.

roadman65

Yes regardless of I-95 the Turnpike is still a road itself as much as I-95.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Just because the two routes are one north of Exit 6 does not mean it has to use the numbered road's destinations.  Camden is one for the NJ Turnpike and always was and no reason why it should not be.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

NJTA has posted a somewhat more detailed capital plan with some more details about various projects for the Turnpike and Parkway, including some rough estimates on costs. Money raised from this toll increase is supposed to help pay for this plan.

storm2k

Also, the Turnpike Authority published the updated proposed toll schedules set to take effect.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: storm2k on March 17, 2020, 02:05:15 PM
Also, the Turnpike Authority published the updated proposed toll schedules set to take effect.

Max $18.85 for cars; $67.85 for truckers.

Now, while it doesn't seem that bad, it's only 120-ish miles.  Compare it to the PA Turnpike at 3 times the distance, and it's approximately the same price per mile!

bluecountry

Quote from: storm2k on March 17, 2020, 12:26:00 PM
Quote from: bluecountry on March 16, 2020, 06:32:10 PM

Camden is still a main city in NJ. It goes to Wilmington south of Exit 4 as it should.
Camden is more fitting for I-295, not I-95/NJTP.
It should be Wilmington/Bal/WAS.

bluecountry

Quote from: storm2k on March 17, 2020, 01:04:01 PM
NJTA has posted a somewhat more detailed capital plan with some more details about various projects for the Turnpike and Parkway, including some rough estimates on costs. Money raised from this toll increase is supposed to help pay for this plan.
I love the idea to provide a 'legal' method to go from the inner to outer roadway on the NJTP.
Not sure the NJTP needs to be widened from 4 to 6 lanes south of exit 4.
More needed is widening the western spur north of Exit 16.

Beltway

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 17, 2020, 05:55:42 PM
Quote from: storm2k on March 17, 2020, 02:05:15 PM
Max $18.85 for cars; $67.85 for truckers.
Now, while it doesn't seem that bad, it's only 120-ish miles.  Compare it to the PA Turnpike at 3 times the distance, and it's approximately the same price per mile!
16 cents per mile for cars. :-(

Is it still apportioned by segment?  Back in the 1970s the toll for the southern 60 miles was 1 cent per mile average, 2 cents per mile for the next 30 miles, and about 2.7 cents per mile for the northern 30 miles.  These are close estimates based on my memory.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

RobbieL2415

Quote from: bluecountry on March 18, 2020, 09:48:48 AM
Quote from: storm2k on March 17, 2020, 01:04:01 PM
I love the idea to provide a 'legal' method to go from the inner to outer roadway on the NJTP.
More needed is widening the western spur north of Exit 16.
There is a legal way.
Get off, then back on at a service plaza.

Beltway

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 18, 2020, 12:56:03 PM
I love the idea to provide a 'legal' method to go from the inner to outer roadway on the NJTP.  Not sure the NJTP needs to be widened from 4 to 6 lanes south of exit 4.  More needed is widening the western spur north of Exit 16.
There is a legal way.  Get off, then back on at a service plaza.
That means using low-speed surface roads to make the connection.

Instead of using a high-speed freeway ramp.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

The entire Turnpike needs to be a minimum of 6-lanes, including the southern section. It can easily congest during peak travel periods and only 4-lanes.

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on March 18, 2020, 01:38:07 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 18, 2020, 12:56:03 PM
I love the idea to provide a 'legal' method to go from the inner to outer roadway on the NJTP.  Not sure the NJTP needs to be widened from 4 to 6 lanes south of exit 4.  More needed is widening the western spur north of Exit 16.
There is a legal way.  Get off, then back on at a service plaza.
That means using low-speed surface roads to make the connection.

Instead of using a high-speed freeway ramp.
Still legal though.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.