News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

[Poll] Should Interstate Highways have “END” “BEGIN” and “JCT” signs?

Started by Interstate 69 Fan, December 15, 2017, 09:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should interstates have begin, end, and JCT signs?

Give them all JCT, end, and begin signs!
No end & begin signs, but yes for JCT signs.
No JCT signs, but End & begin signs stay.
Remove all JCT, End, & Begin signs.
Other (Post reply)

Interstate 69 Fan

Personally, I like Interstates having End & begin signs, as well as "jct"  signs found on State & US Highways.

Example:https://www.google.com/search?q=end+interstate+sign&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS775US775&oq=end+interstate+sign&aqs=chrome..69i57.3513j0j4&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=epxdqdWuHX3u5M: Should this I-95 sign stay? (I have no clue how to post images on the safari app on my iPhone...)
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

froggie

Interstate junction signs are effectively pointless given guide signage standards.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

Quote from: froggie on December 15, 2017, 10:15:23 AM
Interstate junction signs are effectively pointless given guide signage standards.

Actually, they're very much needed on intersecting roads.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Max Rockatansky

dgolub

This.  Junction signs make sense on surface roads but not on other freeways.  Having begin and end shields on interstates would make sense, though.

vdeane

For the junction signs, I believe he's referring to stuff like this, not the ones on surface roads.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

US71

Quote from: vdeane on December 17, 2017, 06:23:02 PM
For the junction signs, I believe he's referring to stuff like this, not the ones on surface roads.

I-40 at West Memphis

I-49 at Texarkana

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

wxfree

A junction is a point where two or more things meet.  It means to join, as in two roads being joined, such as within an intersection.  Interstates never "meet" other roads, and interchanges with other Interstates often have more than one exit, so there's no single point to refer to.  I don't think the terminology works.  I like the regular "East I-X 1/4 mile" and "West I-X 1/2 mile" terminology, with it being understood that the distance is to the exit, not to the other road.  To me, the same applies to any freeway.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Marf

Direct your complaints about me to Archer City, FL. Direct anything else about me to my PM-box. Direct things NOT about me to the Hypnotuse. Or just send anything to Alanlans, that's alright too.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: US71 on December 17, 2017, 06:47:14 PM
Quote from: vdeane on December 17, 2017, 06:23:02 PM

I-40 at West Memphis

Just like that I-40/I-55 photo is what I'm referring to.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

kphoger

Quote from: Brandon on December 16, 2017, 05:52:28 PM

Actually, they're very much needed on intersecting roads.

Or, to put what others have said more simply:  If a sign is on an intersecting road, then it isn't on an Interstate.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

Being that every interchange is a junction with another road, there's no point in having specifically Interstate junctions.  Just sign the interchange, and advanced signage, like you would any other interchange.

Using the above picture: "JCT I-55" isn't nearly as meaningful as "I-55 2 Miles".

21stCenturyRoad

I highly believe that there should be "Begin" and "End" signs as it can help avoid confusion upon local motorists.

"JCT" signs should only be on intersecting roads that are not freeways.
The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie even if everyone believes it.

paulthemapguy

Are you referring to JCT signs that are posted ON Interstate alignments?  Because, as @froggie said, those are rendered redundant by standards for big green signs.  I do like it when an extra BGS is posted on an Interstate in anticipation with the junction of another Interstate.  For example, a 2-mile sign is posted in addition to a 1-mile sign and a 1/2 mile sign, as is common in Illinois.  I very much support JCT signs on side arterials to announce an impending Interstate.

BEGIN and END markers are both good.  END markers I regard as very important--so if someone thinks they can just continue down I-355, but it's ending, the sign will wake up the motorist to mandate that they change course.  Like "I hope you were planning to get off here--because it's your ONLY choice!!"
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

SectorZ

mrcmc888

I like the Begin/End signs on interstates and wish they'd be standardized, but the JCT signs are pointless.  They're meant to warn drivers of an intersection, and as interstates don't have any at-grade intersections, there's no need.  The BGSes cover that well enough.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 16, 2017, 10:32:57 PM
Just ends and junctions.
Agreed.  It seems that the BEGIN banners are a recent addition to the MUTCD.  I, personally, don't think they're needed in all situations (edited to add).
Quote from: Brandon on December 16, 2017, 05:52:28 PM
Actually, they''re very much needed on intersecting roads.
JCT banners for Interstates (when used for trailblazer assemblies) are appropriate for non-expressway roads approaching interchanges w/Interstates.  However, such are not needed along the Interstates highways themselves nor expressways with advance BGS' IMHO.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hotdogPi

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 08, 2018, 09:13:08 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 16, 2017, 10:32:57 PM
Just ends and junctions.
Agreed.  It seems that the BEGIN banners are a recent addition to the MUTCD.  I, personally, don't think they're needed.

I think BEGIN banners are needed when you're continuing straight, like:
MA 25 becoming I-495
I-290 becoming I-395 and vice versa
NY 22 becoming I-684
CT 66 becoming I-691

But if you're not continuing straight, you don't need a BEGIN sign.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

adventurernumber1

I originally voted for interstates to have all three of these things, but then I thought about it some more.

If an interstate does have a JCT sign in a similar fashion as one on a surface street, then IMO it is perfectly acceptable (better too much signage than too little signage), but I wouldn't say that it is particularly necessary. JCT signs on interstates may potentially be a little redundant.

However, I strongly believe that all interstates should always have both BEGIN and END signs. I think that these are very helpful, necessary, and incredibly interesting (of course).  :biggrin:

As a result, I, too, second the notion that BEGIN/END signs on interstates should be standardized.  :nod:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

bzakharin

JCT is optional. As long as the other Interstate is referenced in some way long enough in advance, it's all good. "BEGIN" is similarly optional, but to a lesser extent. The word "begin" does convey information that would not otherwise be there, but that information is not important to the average driver, as long as it is made clear which route you're currently on. END is always necessary, though.

Perfxion

JCT signs work if there is no direct connection, IE: SH99 and SH249 in Houston where this is no directs and one has use frontage roads to go from one to the other. Otherwise, they aren't needed. BGS will tell you your exit.

Begin/End work really well on I-45/US75 since the highway keeps going even with a number change. And yes, I am aware its I-345. To the driving public, I-345 doesn't exist. It goes from US75 to I-45. I will say the same for I-287, I-76, I-691, I-684, I-290/I-395, I-69, and maybe I-2. 
5/10/20/30/15/35/37/40/44/45/70/76/78/80/85/87/95/
(CA)405,(NJ)195/295(NY)295/495/278/678(CT)395(MD/VA)195/495/695/895

jflick99

I think there should be BEGIN and END signs, but this is the only situation where there should be JCT signs between freeways. If one highway is merging into a concurrency with another highway, there should be a JCT sign. Otherwise, leave it off.

roadman65

If the road ends with an equal split between two ramps for other signed roads no.  But if one interstate defaults into another, yes!

BTW, I am not complaining about I-55 at US 41 where in 1987 it had and END I-55 shield and a small green sign opposite it with a ROUTE I-55 ENDS sign.  Or in NJ where I-80 ends but to use it in place of a pull though could have been thought out a little better, but being it goes from Coast to Coast, its a good gesture that NJDOT did there and post the transition considering that it obvious with the road dividing into both ways of I-95.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.