News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Who makes better Sheilds and BGS

Started by mapman1071, July 22, 2018, 12:24:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who makes better Sheilds and BGS?

State/Province
11 (100%)
County/Parrish/Region
1 (9.1%)
City
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: August 01, 2018, 12:24:46 AM

mapman1071

Who makes better Sheilds and BGS? I have Seen the worst from City Transportation Agencies.

cjk374

Louisiana was the only agency to make shields & BGSs until I discovered a contractor erecting their signs at the new roundabout near Homer. The contractor is Traffic Solutions out of NOLA. I will take pictures of their handy work & show them to y'all soon. Get your barf bags ready.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Max Rockatansky

Out in California the local agencies are far behind what Caltrans typically produces.  The local shields here in Fresno are awful and display hideous font in addition to substandard vinyl.

freebrickproductions

State, usually. Occasionally you get a city or town who's competent in what they're doing, and the same could be said for counties, but from my observations here in the SE, they're much less common than one would think.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

vdeane

In general, states, though I'm curious if this holds true in Oklahoma.  If it does, the county/local signage would probably be downright horrific.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

Well, since Seattle still installs state-named interstate shields, I guess they get my shield vote. Though the shields are always on little green signs, so it's not particularly interesting.

In Washington, the best signed roads are state routes, so I guess the state does the best signs. Lots of guide signs all over the place, including at regular at-grade intersections. For a while, WSDOT was using bubble shields, which bothered me. But they've since moved on from that.

Counties and cities, generally, are on-par with one another. I prefer city-installed street blades, as they are often larger and, in quite a few cities, back-lit. BGS's are not common in most cities, but the state still does it better. Other than that, most things are the same from state, to county, to city.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: vdeane on July 22, 2018, 07:55:26 PM
In general, states, though I'm curious if this holds true in Oklahoma.  If it does, the county/local signage would probably be downright horrific.
What about OkDOT signing their exit with different spacing? Scott should have a photo. IIRC, the exit was 164 or something like that.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Scott5114

It varies from city to city. Oklahoma City is about as slapdash as ODOT is. Norman actually removed a mastarm sign and reinstalled the old one for a bit because the new sign's text was off-center by a few inches and they wanted to redo it.

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on July 22, 2018, 10:34:45 PM
What about OkDOT signing their exit with different spacing? Scott should have a photo. IIRC, the exit was 164 or something like that.

This one? The spacing isn't the problem, it's the fact they took Series B and stretched it to C width (and then put the X on upside down).

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 05, 2018, 10:26:07 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on April 05, 2018, 12:27:28 PM
For example, we no longer have a ban on using Series B for primary destination legend on freeway guide signs.  Most practitioners won't do it because they understand intuitively that Series B has far worse unit legibility than Series E Modified or even Series D, but even so the MUTCD technically allows Series B on freeway signs.  And while that is a pretty obvious no-no...

As you might have seen if you wander into the Signs With Design Errors thread, OkDOT appears to roll with more of a "hold my beer" approach to guide signing.

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SSOWorld

No idea what agency made the CraIG COunTY sign and its opposing MaYES COunTY sign on US 69 (Both have been replaced)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Scott5114

Quote from: SSOWorld on July 23, 2018, 04:11:21 AM
No idea what agency made the CraIG COunTY sign and its opposing MaYES COunTY sign on US 69 (Both have been replaced)

It could have only been OkDOT.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.