News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: jmd41280 on January 07, 2018, 10:44:28 PM
Erroneous PA 119 sign along US 119 in Point Marion, PA

GAAAAHHHH!!!
There is a thread for those, and it's not this one.

US/State mixup shield error signs go here

Quote from: 1 on August 17, 2016, 07:04:09 AM
As of this post, the Erroneous Road Signs thread has 161 pages (I use the default of 25 posts per page), and it will just continue to grow. To reduce its rate of growth, errors that are solely US/state route mixups go here instead of in the Erroneous Road Signs and Worst of Road Signs threads. ... If you recently posted in any of these threads with a US/state mixup, you may move the post to here by deleting the other one and pasting the content in this thread.

Quote from: NE2 on August 17, 2016, 10:05:08 AM
Thank you! Please use this ghetto.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SectorZ

Want to see if people agree with me on this being erroneous, https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5710692,-71.275931,3a,20.9y,277.92h,93.26t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s8gXRDCzlmFI-8MlFDUiDKg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D8gXRDCzlmFI-8MlFDUiDKg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D320.88898%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

The sign pointing to 'North Billerica' has the N bigger than the other letters, which is to indicate directionality, like the larger S in south for 3A. Meaning, in a way, it's randomly stating the road goes 'north' to Billerica, not a road to 'North Billerica', therefore making the sign erroneous.

There are enough examples, none that I can think of at this moment, where a town or section of a town is noted properly without the larger first letter.

tckma

Quote from: SectorZ on January 22, 2018, 03:47:28 PM
There are enough examples, none that I can think of at this moment, where a town or section of a town is noted properly without the larger first letter.

That seems more like a design error.  As is the local pronunciation of "Billerica."

kphoger

Want to see if people agree with me on this being erroneous, https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5710692,-71.275931,3a,20.9y,277.92h,93.26t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s8gXRDCzlmFI-8MlFDUiDKg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D8gXRDCzlmFI-8MlFDUiDKg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D320.88898%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

The sign pointing to 'North Billerica' has the N bigger than the other letters, which is to indicate directionality, like the larger S in south for 3A. Meaning, in a way, it's randomly stating the road goes 'north' to Billerica, not a road to 'North Billerica', therefore making the sign erroneous.

"BILL3RICA" is more of an error, in my opinion.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tckma

Quote from: kphoger on January 22, 2018, 06:29:35 PM

Well, sure, but I wouldn't consider "BILLRICKEH"  to be an error.

Hurricane Rex

Well that is interesting... the random three there, all caps with what you said
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

SectorZ

Quote from: kphoger on January 22, 2018, 06:29:35 PM

Just plain vandalism in this case.

PHLBOS

Want to see if people agree with me on this being erroneous
Given the location and the fact that BILLERICA is signed for the opposite direction, I would say that the larger N in the NORTH BILLERICA sign is indeed erroneous and that the NORTH is in reference to the unincorporated village of North Billerica.

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 23, 2018, 12:58:53 AM...all caps with what you said
Such was standard MassDPW/Highway/DOT practice for D-type signage until very recently.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

PurdueBill

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 23, 2018, 10:39:28 AM
Given the location and the fact that BILLERICA is signed for the opposite direction, I would say that the larger N in the NORTH BILLERICA sign is indeed erroneous and that the NORTH is in reference to the unincorporated village of North Billerica.

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 23, 2018, 12:58:53 AM...all caps with what you said
Such was standard MassDPW/Highway/DOT practice for D-type signage until very recently.

When I saw the NORTH with larger first letter and no route number, I immediately thought of the paddle signs on former US 1 in Boston (dating back to before 1990, which were doctored to cover the numeral 1--remember, this was before shields on paddle signs).  Those signs that just said "NORTH / BOSTON" with 1 covered over clearly were hiding something.  The NORTH BILLERICA sign seems to want a 3A shield, or at least text.  :)

PHLBOS

Quote from: PurdueBill on January 23, 2018, 09:32:34 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on January 23, 2018, 10:39:28 AM

When I saw the NORTH with larger first letter and no route number, I immediately thought of the paddle signs on former US 1 in Boston (dating back to before 1990, which were doctored to cover the numeral 1--remember, this was before shields on paddle signs).  Those signs that just said "NORTH / BOSTON" with 1 covered over clearly were hiding something.  The NORTH BILLERICA sign seems to want a 3A shield, or at least text.  :)
For the benefit of those not familiar with this area or intersection, this is one case where 1 Picture = 1000 Words

The D6/D8 LGS in question is along MA 129 (Floyd St.) just east of Pollard St.  Shortly after Pollard St.; Floyd St. ends at Boston Rd. (where MA 129 meets & multiplexes w/MA 3A northward).  The NORTH BILLERICA legend with the right arrow is intended for Pollard St. not Boston Rd. (MA 3A).

If one looks at the Boston Rd./MA 3A intersection itself, one sees these D6/D8 LGS' for MA 3A & 129.

With regards to those old signs along former-US 1 from Boston to Dedham: I believe you're referring to the MDC-spec'd signage near Fenway Park.  Such featured mixed-case lettering for the direction cardinals.  Given that those & all other signs near/at the former-US 1 corridor well predated the MUTCD standard requiring the first letter of the direction cardinals to be taller than the rest (but still be in ALL CAPS); there were no signs along that corridor that featured ALL CAPS direction cardinals with the taller first letter per this source.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

PurdueBill

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 24, 2018, 09:46:42 AM
With regards to those old signs along former-US 1 from Boston to Dedham: I believe you're referring to the MDC-spec'd signage near Fenway Park.  Such featured mixed-case lettering for the direction cardinals.  Given that those & all other signs near/at the former-US 1 corridor well predated the MUTCD standard requiring the first letter of the direction cardinals to be taller than the rest (but still be in ALL CAPS); there were no signs along that corridor that featured ALL CAPS direction cardinals with the taller first letter per this source.

Indeed I am not talking about larger first letter ones, but there were MDC spec signs as well as some DPW-type paddle signs with 1 covered over.  The paddles are much more DPW style than MDC (now DCR) style.  What I was thinking of was the directional word NORTH being all alone with what appears to be a missing number, like on the 3A sign.  The larger first letter there leaves open the possibility of a missing 3A shield or text, along with "North Billerica" being intended and the designer just making the first letter larger out of habit.

You see larger first letter in TO and JCT sometimes as well, which isn't supposed to be, but would be akin to the larger N in North Billerica if that's what they intended.  Not that it seems to be what was intended.

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

GenExpwy

Quote from: 1 on February 09, 2018, 06:51:50 AM
Extraneous apostrophe on road sign by me, on Flickr

Oop's!

Definitely belongs in the Worst thread.

• Apostrophe
  • Compressed Helvetica font
  • Non-MUTCD arrow
  • Black on white, not white on green
  • On same post as STOP sign
  • Sign on back of post hides the octagon shape of STOP sign

roadman

Quote from: PurdueBill on January 24, 2018, 02:14:22 PM
Indeed I am not talking about larger first letter ones, but there were MDC spec signs as well as some DPW-type paddle signs with 1 covered over.  The paddles are much more DPW style than MDC (now DCR) style.

Note that all the 'paddle' signs on former Route 1 between Dedham and Boston with the '1' covered over (which were done to MassDPW spec) were installed in the mid to late 1970s, and thus predate the practice of using an elongated first letter on cardinal directions by about fifteen years.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

mrcmc888

This sign stood at the Cherry Street exit from I-40 in Knoxville for many years.  It's gone now, but I managed to catch it in an archived photo from Google.

"US 25" doesn't actually run on Magnolia Avenue, nor does it run anywhere in Tennessee.  It's split until about the NC border.  US 25W is concurring with I-640 about 3 miles north of Magnolia at the point the sign is posted, and US 25E just flat out misses Knoxville.

US 25W doesn't even concur with US 11; by the time it hops off the interstate to join US 70, 11 has split, and goes from Magnolia Avenue into Rutledge Pike/Asheville Highway.

The sign makes no note of the 11W/E split despite it being in less than a mile, leaving tourists pretty confused on how they actually get to 25W.

Mapmikey

Quote from: mrcmc888 on February 18, 2018, 07:04:33 PM
This sign stood at the Cherry Street exit from I-40 in Knoxville for many years.  It's gone now, but I managed to catch it in an archived photo from Google.

They must have just removed it...was there in late January.

There is/was also one on the off ramp from the other direction of I-40

Brandon

Quote from: GenExpwy on February 09, 2018, 01:32:57 PM

Oop's!

• Apostrophe
  • Non-MUTCD arrow

I fully concur.  This is a good candidate for the "worst of" thread.  No way in hell this should've escaped the sign shop.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: GenExpwy on February 09, 2018, 01:32:57 PM

Oop's!

• Apostrophe
  • Non-MUTCD arrow

Yeah, this is definitely pure, unadulterated suck.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

ThatTenneseeRoadgeek

formulanone

Quote from: ThatTenneseeRoadgeek on March 09, 2018, 04:48:34 PM
Quote from: national highway 1 on June 17, 2012, 01:28:15 AM
Sign recycling gone wrong:

Oh GAWD.....BURN IT WITH FIRE!!

Though it's long gone, it's the very opposite of the overused phrase "kill with fire".

An old US blank shield was used, but then painted over, tilted 90 degrees, and then used as a Kentucky Route 7 shield. The fasteners on the assembly came apart, so the sign then moved 180 degrees.

So it was never really erroneous, it was recycled. An ancient sign got a new life, and an interesting story (well, for sign spotters).

hbelkins

Given that I took the picture, i thought it was a neat find. It was also on an old alignment of KY 7 that's now a city-maintained street, but the state signage was never removed. That sign's long gone now.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ThatTenneseeRoadgeek

Quote from: Buck87 on December 05, 2014, 07:05:30 PM
Quote from: vtk on December 05, 2014, 06:16:34 PM
Which piece is facing the right way?

I've seen in northern Ohio where temporary detour signs have been attached to the back of the U-channel when not in effect.  That's not what's going on here, is it?

The "South" tab is facing the right way. This is a permanent sign location just beyond 61's intersection with US 250/OH 13.
Yeah,But,What TURNED the Ohio 61 Sign?

ThatTenneseeRoadgeek

ThatTenneseeRoadgeek

Quote from: epzik8 on October 24, 2016, 07:33:14 PM
This one near Glen Burnie, Maryland should be Maryland Route 3 Business. Mainline Route 3 ends about five miles to the south and is disconnected from MD-3 Business.

They Should've put 2 Plaques,One for the Buissness Plate,And the other for the JCT Sign.

ThatTenneseeRoadgeek

Quote from: mjb2002 on December 09, 2012, 05:54:40 PM
Quote from: PurdueBill on November 02, 2012, 11:05:11 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek2500 on November 02, 2012, 10:09:40 PM
Oh, and if you have one, I would like to see one of the blank shields with the arrow inside it.

...and another from the same town on the US 250 page...

whelp...........we're screwed...

I am just cracking up now. An arrow inside of an interstate shield. Wow.  :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.