News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Random climate discussion

Started by Poiponen13, September 16, 2023, 12:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 18, 2023, 03:12:54 PMYes, but because I'm higher, heat should leave me more easily.

Not through convection.  Air pressure at 5280 feet is about 81% sea level, while it is around 96% at 1300 feet.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

JayhawkCO

Quote from: J N Winkler on September 18, 2023, 03:24:55 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 18, 2023, 03:12:54 PMYes, but because I'm higher, heat should leave me more easily.

Not through convection.  Air pressure at 5280 feet is about 81% sea level, while it is around 96% at 1300 feet.

The lower density of the air here decreases the air's ability to insulate in between layers of clothing.

kphoger

Still...  if I'm on a 700-mile driving trip, and I need to fill up with gas, and it's —10°F at the gas station pump with a stiff north wind, what am I supposed to do?  Put on a bunch of layers, a balaclava, a thick pair of gloves with liners?  I mean, it's not like I've been driving in all that stuff, so...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on September 18, 2023, 03:38:13 PM
Still...  if I'm on a 700-mile driving trip, and I need to fill up with gas, and it's —10°F at the gas station pump with a stiff north wind, what am I supposed to do?  Put on a bunch of layers, a balaclava, a thick pair of gloves with liners?  I mean, it's not like I've been driving in all that stuff, so...

Get out of the car, prepay, pump gas, get back in the car while it finishes, get back out and put the pump away?  If it's really howling, a normal winter jacket that you'd be wearing while driving will keep you warm enough for that limited time. Again, maybe I'm just used to being colder given where I grew up. I rarely bring a jacket when running errands around town because I'm only outside for 30 seconds at a time, even if it's down to 20° or so.

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 18, 2023, 03:41:08 PM

Get out of the car, prepay, pump gas, get back in the car while it finishes, get back out and put the pump away?  If it's really howling, a normal winter jacket that you'd be wearing while driving will keep you warm enough for that limited time. Again, maybe I'm just used to being colder given where I grew up. I rarely bring a jacket when running errands around town because I'm only outside for 30 seconds at a time, even if it's down to 20° or so.

I never leave the pump unattended.  I don't trust the shutoff switch.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on September 18, 2023, 03:54:45 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 18, 2023, 03:41:08 PM

I never leave the pump unattended.  I don't trust the shutoff switch.

I don't go far, but I'm fine going into the car if the weather is ridiculous. I can still see the pump in the rearview.

jlam

Here's a good climate for you, Poips:

Max Rockatansky

The full forecast is much better:

Scott5114

Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 18, 2023, 01:45:03 PM
40 C would be comfortable to see in major city.

So...Oklahoma City? Dallas? San Antonio? Austin? Houston? Corpus Christi? El Paso? Heck, even Kansas City gets up to 40° C sometimes.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 18, 2023, 04:41:20 PM

Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 18, 2023, 01:45:03 PM
40 C would be comfortable to see in major city.

So...Oklahoma City? Dallas? San Antonio? Austin? Houston? Corpus Christi? El Paso? Heck, even Kansas City gets up to 40° C sometimes.

Kuwait City...
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

104F is a regular thing around Fresno.  I certainly wouldn't say it is comfortable.

Brandon

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 18, 2023, 04:48:43 PM
104F is a regular thing around Fresno.  I certainly wouldn't say it is comfortable.

Depends on where one is.  Out West, where the dew points are low and the air is dry, it's not bad.  In the Midwest and South, where the dew points can be upwards of 70oF in the summer, and sometimes hitting 80oF, it's a different story.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Max Rockatansky

Or the rancid humid hell of an Orlando summer where I was living previous to moving back west.  Nonetheless it's not as though even a dry 104F doesn't lend itself too much in the way of outdoor recreation.  I tend to get my activities started before sunrise and done before 9 AM during the summer.

jgb191

Well earlier this summer we did see temperatures of 104 degrees coupled with 80-degree dew points to produce Heat Index in the 120s for two straight weeks in South Texas.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

triplemultiplex

Any air temperature hotter than body temperature is way too hot.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kphoger

I agree that "but it's a dry heat" has a ceiling.  It's not as if dry heat simply can't be uncomfortably hot.  Definitely not true.  But the upper limit of comfort is certainly lower in humid regions.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on September 19, 2023, 11:39:29 AM
I agree that "but it's a dry heat" has a ceiling.  It's not as if dry heat simply can't be uncomfortably hot.  Definitely not true.  But the upper limit of comfort is certainly lower in humid regions.

For sure. The hottest and coldest I've ever felt were both in very humid areas. Kansas City for the hot, and surprisingly, New Orleans for the cold. It was 50 degrees in New Orleans with a drizzle and I just had a hoodie and not a warm jacket. That cold soaked into my bones.

jgb191

People don't realize this but dry heat can be more lethal than wet heat, especially if you don't drink enough water.  In the deserts where dew points are less than 50 degrees but the temperatures are triple-digits, you lose water at a much faster rate than in the Gulf Coast regions.  Both can be lethal, but in my experience dry heat was the greater of the two evils.

As you've no-doubt have guessed, I prefer summer over winter.  Not that I relished many of the days this summer, but I dread our winter even more.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 19, 2023, 11:42:04 AM
... and surprisingly, New Orleans for the cold. It was 50 degrees in New Orleans with a drizzle and I just had a hoodie and not a warm jacket. That cold soaked into my bones.

This may have some bearing on why you tolerate cold better than I do:  you live in a drier climate.  I know you've lived elsewhere, but still.  As I mentioned earlier, dry cold doesn't seem to bother me quite as much as humid cold.  Below a certain point, though, cold is just painful.

Quote from: jgb191 on September 19, 2023, 11:54:39 AM
People don't realize this but dry heat can be more lethal than wet heat, especially if you don't drink enough water.  In the deserts where dew points are less than 50 degrees but the temperatures are triple-digits, you lose water at a much faster rate than in the Gulf Coast regions.  Both can be lethal, but in my experience dry heat was the greater of the two evils.

I've spent quite a bit of time in the Chihuahuan Desert of southern Coahuila.  Some of those times have involved manual labor with a mattock, shovel, and wheelbarrow.  For example, one year, we went in July, and demolished a placa roof.  That involved destroying the roof (while standing on it) using mattocks and San Angelo bars, then shoveling the rubble into wheelbarrows, then dumping the wheelbarrows into a pickup truck, then driving out to a different location, then shoveling the rubble back out of the pickup truck again–then go back and do it all again, multiple trips per day, for two or three days.  High elevation (about 5000 feet), with temps in the 90s every day.  Hard work, no doubt.

But I can get at least that exhausted just by mowing my lawn for an hour here in Wichita if the temp is over about 98.  I have to take more frequent breaks doing manual labor in this humid heat, and surprisingly I find it necessary to consume more water as well.  I get soaked with sweat working in this humid heat, yet in Mexico I hardly sweat at all some days (or it evaporates right away).

I don't know, I guess maybe my body is more conditioned to dry heat than a lot of other people.  I also drink a lot less liquid when working in dry heat than other people say is necessary.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on September 19, 2023, 12:11:55 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 19, 2023, 11:42:04 AM
... and surprisingly, New Orleans for the cold. It was 50 degrees in New Orleans with a drizzle and I just had a hoodie and not a warm jacket. That cold soaked into my bones.

This may have some bearing on why you tolerate cold better than I do:  you live in a drier climate.  I know you've lived elsewhere, but still.  As I mentioned earlier, dry cold doesn't seem to bother me quite as much as humid cold.  Below a certain point, though, cold is just painful.

When I go outside when cold, I can put on all my gear and at least be reasonably comfortable. I might not want to spend an hour outside in -10° wind chill, but it won't immediately be intolerable for me. When I walk outside in the Midwest and it's 98° with 85% humidity, I immediately feel oppressed and want to get out of the heat as quickly as possible. There is no planning for heat; there is for cold.

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 19, 2023, 12:38:22 PM
When I walk outside in the Midwest and it's 98° with 85% humidity, I immediately feel oppressed and want to get out of the heat as quickly as possible.

Yeah, 85% humidity is brutal.  As I mentioned, that weather zaps my energy as well.  But I can be outside in 98°F dry weather with little problem.

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 19, 2023, 12:38:22 PM
There is no planning for heat; there is for cold.

Exactly, but not in the way you meant.  There is no need to plan for heat (except to bring water).  But there is a need to plan for cold, including wearing multiple layers of clothing, and buying specialized gear to protect you from the painful air.

Is it colder than you expected?  Not prepared for it?  Too bad!

Is it hotter than you expected?  Not prepared for it?  Just take your shirt off and find some shade.

It's not like I'm going to convince you that hot is better than cold.  And you're not going to convince me that cold is better than hot.  We're different people.
Male pronouns, please.

mgk920

Dress like fans going to a late season game at Lambeau Field.

:spin:

Mike

kphoger

Quote from: mgk920 on September 19, 2023, 01:11:22 PM

I mean, that's basically the gist of what people are telling me:  Cold weather is just fine, as long as you put on so much stuff that you can no longer feel the weather.  Which is kind of a silly argument to me.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on September 19, 2023, 01:26:55 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on September 19, 2023, 01:11:22 PM

I mean, that's basically the gist of what people are telling me:  Cold weather is just fine, as long as you put on so much stuff that you can no longer feel the weather.  Which is kind of a silly argument to me.

Isn't that kind of the same thing as ducking under a tree for shade?

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 19, 2023, 01:54:55 PM
Isn't that kind of the same thing as ducking under a tree for shade?

Maybe sort of.  On the other hand, your solution to bitter cold wasn't "get to where it's sunny".
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.