News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fwydriver405

Flipped pedestrian indications (countdown at top, ped signal indications on bottom) at NH Route 28 at Route 102 in Derry NH.

jakeroot

Quote from: CJResotko on October 11, 2020, 10:17:40 AM
Here's something you don't see that often anymore for traffic lights. In Sandusky, Ohio

That could very well be the best and cleanest remaining example of those older wonky arrows.

I was never a fan, since they were basically reserved for split-phasing, which I find to be the work of the devil, but to say they're anything less than very interesting is an understatement.

STLmapboy

Here's something you don't see that often anymore for traffic lights. In Sandusky, Ohio
I've seen some Ohio arrow-fuckery elsewhere. It seems to be specific to that state.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Roadsguy

Quote from: jakeroot on October 10, 2020, 12:34:01 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 10, 2020, 12:02:02 AM
Quote from: Revive 755 on October 09, 2020, 11:12:14 PM
Quote from: STLmapboy on October 09, 2020, 09:20:17 PM
Ok, check this out. In Pen Argyl.

Why isn't traffic allowed to go straight there?

It is. It's just saying traffic can turn right without stopping.

PA is know for their "STOP" "EXCEPT RIGHT TURNS" signage. This i guess is their signalized version of it.

But there is a sign clearly stating "ALL TRAFFIC MUST TURN RIGHT".

Yet the signal segments above the green arrows seem to be flashing red despite there being no reason to stop there. Perhaps it was once a Stop/Except Right Turn setup, but they decided to make it right turn only and forgot/didn't bother to remove/disable the flashing red.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

STLmapboy

I didn't know NJ was getting into the bulky mast arm game.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

jeffandnicole

Quote from: STLmapboy on October 12, 2020, 11:16:02 AM
I didn't know NJ was getting into the bulky mast arm game.

How could you have not known? You posted a link to one yourself:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=5944.msg2511088#msg2511088

Re: Traffic signal
« Reply #2964 on: June 24, 2020, 10:35:41 PM »
ReplyQuote
I wish NJ would do sexy thick mast arms like this more often  :clap:
https://www.google.pl/maps/@39.4870372,-75.0431734,3a,75y,278.83h,93.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sl1J3c-LOME5kHvY4uBWw2g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

kphoger

Quote from: Chumbawamba
– Do you suffer from long term memory loss?
– I don't remember.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

STLmapboy

Quote from: kphoger on October 12, 2020, 11:39:37 AM
– I don't remember.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I don't keep track of all the traffic signals in NJ.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

kphoger

Quote from: STLmapboy on October 12, 2020, 12:09:21 PM

What!  And you call yourself a roadgeek...   :awesomeface:
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

– I don't remember.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No one is asking you to keep track of every signal in a state. But when you post an example of one; others come back with further examples of others, and then 4 months later you state you didn't know they even existed, you're getting called out on it.

STLmapboy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 12, 2020, 12:35:04 PM
– I don't remember.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No one is asking you to keep track of every signal in a state. But when you post an example of one; others come back with further examples of others, and then 4 months later you state you didn't know they even existed, you're getting called out on it.
I would beg to differ but this isn't a rabbit hole I want to go down.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 12, 2020, 11:36:55 AM
How could you have not known?

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 12, 2020, 12:35:04 PM
you're getting called out on it.

Quote from: STLmapboy on October 12, 2020, 12:40:57 PM
I would beg to differ

Maybe you would beg to differ, but you really can't.  You are, in point of fact, getting called out on it.

Quote from: STLmapboy on October 12, 2020, 12:40:57 PM
... but this isn't a rabbit hole I want to go down.

Good.  I'm sure jeffandnicole had no ill will when posting the original reply–nor did I when posting those two lines from Amnesia.  We're all just kidding each other around here.  All too often, the lightheartedness of a comment gets lost in translation on a web forum.
Male pronouns, please.

renegade

Quote from: STLmapboy on October 11, 2020, 02:46:56 PM
I've seen some Ohio arrow-fuckery elsewhere. It seems to be specific to that state.
I always thought those were pretty cool.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

skquinn

skquinn

Quote from: fwydriver405 on September 25, 2020, 08:46:15 AM
I have an update about some of MaineDOT's policies regarding FYA and PPLT in general, specifically, when I asked them about the Stillwater Ave project:

Why is FYA (or any PPLT with a dedicated LT lane) across two oncoming thru lanes not permitted in Maine? 
come soon as I am still awaiting response for the comments I inquired about the Sanford signal replacement.
[...]

I am within 2-3 miles of a couple of intersections here in Houston that allow PPLT across two lanes; a few of them in fact have three oncoming lanes. Some have not yet been converted to FYA though and still have the old-style ball/arrow signals.

kphoger

I just stumbled across this wonky intersection with a jog in Carthage, MO, while planning an upcoming trip.

One old post-mounted stoplight per direction.  On a state highway (also Old US-66).
Male pronouns, please.

JoePCool14

Quote from: kphoger on October 13, 2020, 10:00:08 AM
I just stumbled across this wonky intersection with a jog in Carthage, MO, while planning an upcoming trip.

One old post-mounted stoplight per direction.  On a state highway (also Old US-66).

Talk about a minimal install right there. It would be so easy to miss there even being a signal at this intersection.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

STLmapboy

Does anybody have any clue what this is about? It's a small signal hanging from an overpass in Cordoba, Veracruz, MX. It appears to be inoperative in the GSV but is preceded by a sign that says "Obedezca las señales" (obey the signals).
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

DrSmith

Quote from: STLmapboy on October 13, 2020, 07:25:16 PM
Does anybody have any clue what this is about? It's a small signal hanging from an overpass in Cordoba, Veracruz, MX. It appears to be inoperative in the GSV but is preceded by a sign that says "Obedezca las señales" (obey the signals).

That ramp looks a little off at the start too, like its gravel at the start of the it veering off

jakeroot

I did get a good zoom on it. Appears to just be three orb displays. I'm guessing it might be a meter of some kind?

kphoger

Nope, don't know what it's for.  The corresponding exit in the other direction has no such signal.  (By the way, the university the exit serves is currently in the process of shutting down operations, so, if the signal is campus-related, then its relevance has probably already ceased to exist.)

'Obedezca las señales' is a very common sign that's seen all over the highway network, not something specific to this location.
Male pronouns, please.

STLmapboy

Can't pinpoint exactly, but something about this is just wonky. In Kennett, MO.

Also, check out these arrows a block over.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

jakeroot

Quote from: STLmapboy on October 15, 2020, 02:34:42 PM
Also, check out these arrows a block over.

That left turn signal (for the traffic from the left) is mounted very low for no obvious reason. I do like it though.

SignBridge

Those look okay to me. A little unconventional but effective for those locations. Though I would prefer mast-arms over span-wire.

ErmineNotyours

There may have been a more specific topic about pedestrian countdowns that go past yellow, but I can't find it.  Here the countdown goes to 4 before the light turns red, which everyone ignores anyway.  (The overheight sensor preempts the pedestrian phase.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.