News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Battle of The Beltways I-495(Washington DC) vs. I-695 ( Baltimore Beltway)

Started by Jmiles32, April 13, 2016, 10:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmiles32

The Baltimore and Capital beltways are two of today's most popular and congested beltways. Also both are extremely important to their respected cities. Which one would you rather travel on and is more of an enjoyable drive? Also which one is more helpful(in terms of reducing traffic) to their metro area?
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

TheHighwayMan3561

Since you posted this in the road meet section, maybe we should all get together and find out? :) :)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

froggie

Zeffy

I think I-285 in Atlanta and I-495 in MD/DC/VA is the true battle of the beltways (and which one is more rage inducing, although I haven't experienced I-285 yet).
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

davewiecking

Interesting question. Does it belong under Road Enthusiast Meetings?

I'm much more familiar with the 64 mile Capital Beltway, and driven all parts of both loops many times. It helps to know which lanes to use on which parts. Hate to say it, but I love the VA Express Lanes (not just because of less congestion, but marginally better ramps at I-66). So in terms of enjoyable or which one I'd rather travel on, I guess DC qualifies. It helps that it gets me where I need to go. However, the view from the top of Key Bridge is also pretty enjoyable.

Originally, the 51 mile long Balt Beltway had cooler interchanges. The I-70 stack, and particularly the I-95 braiding and left hand exits were marvels for their time. Capital Beltway now has numerous interchanges with flyover ramps going every which way, and I'm not sure Balt has kept pace in this regard.

The top of the Balt Beltway includes the I-83 concurrency; 19 miles are technically MD 695. On the other hand, nothing beats the Capital Beltway's concurrency of I-95/495.

Reducing traffic? Neither one.

Two things used to be possible on the DC Beltway back in the 70's, only one of which is physically possible today.
1) circumnavigate in under an hour.
2) circumnavigate without changing lanes.

Were/are either possible on the Baltimore Beltway?

jeffandnicole

I was say the DC Beltway is miles more important than the others as it also carries the main highway around the city. In the other cases, the main highway goes thru the city.

Jmiles32

74/171FAN

Unsure, but being a Braves fan I would rather root for the Orioles than the Nationals.  Also the Ravens over the Redskins.

Honestly, though I kinda like driving I-495 when it is not so congested because to me it is the closest I will ever see to Talladega on a freeway (outside of I-285 of course).  :-D
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

PHLBOS

Quote from: davewiecking on April 13, 2016, 11:29:21 PMthe I-95 braiding and left hand exits were marvels for their time. Were/are either possible on the Baltimore Beltway?
Due to the addition of the Express I-95 Toll lanes & corridor, only I-695 mainline is still braided through the northern I-95 interchange.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 13, 2016, 11:34:20 PM
I was say the DC Beltway is miles more important than the others as it also carries the main highway around the city. In the other cases, the main highway goes thru the city.
As most of us, including yourself, know; such wasn't the original plan for the Capital Beltway.  The original plan for I-95 between College Park, MD and DC was cancelled.

GPS does NOT equal GOD

froggie

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 14, 2016, 10:43:21 AM
As most of us, including yourself, know; such wasn't the original plan for the Capital Beltway.  The original plan for I-95 between College Park, MD and DC was cancelled.

If we're defining the "main highway" as I-95, then yes.  But aren't I-66, I-70, and I-83 also main highways?  While two of the three penetrate their respective cities, none of the three actually pass through.

froggie

I see this got moved to General Highway Talk.  If anything, given the subject, it should've been moved to Mid-Atlantic instead.

PHLBOS

Quote from: froggie on April 14, 2016, 11:11:04 AM
I see this got moved to General Highway Talk.
And rightly so.  When I first clicked on the thread; I thought such was for a potential road meet in that area.  Given, the close proximity of those 2 beltways; one could clinch both beltways easily in one day.

Quote from: froggie on April 14, 2016, 11:11:04 AMIf anything, given the subject, it should've been moved to Mid-Atlantic instead.
Unless such gets hijacked by talk about other beltways (somebody did mention I-285 in Atlanta earlier in the thread); I would agree.

Quote from: froggie on April 14, 2016, 10:56:35 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on April 14, 2016, 10:43:21 AM

If we're defining the "main highway" as I-95, then yes.  But aren't I-66, I-70, and I-83 also main highways?  While two of the three penetrate their respective cities, none of the three actually pass through.

Based on Jeff's post (and I could be mistaken); I believe that when he said, "carries the main highway around the city", he was indeed referring to the I-95/eastern half of the Capital Beltway.

Your other main highway examples (I-66, 70 & 83) were never envisioned, to the best of my knowledge, to go completely through their respective cities.  All of them were supposed to terminate (originally at highway interchanges) inside city limits.  Whereas I-95, from the get-go, was envisioned to be a through-highway in the Baltimore & DC areas.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

froggie

QuoteYour other main highway examples (I-66, 70 & 83) were never envisioned, to the best of my knowledge, to go completely through their respective cities.  All of them were supposed to terminate (originally at highway interchanges) inside city limits.

Strictly speaking, yes.  But the inference is that, had they been built, travelers could still use them to go through a city.

cpzilliacus

The Baltimore Beltway does not have to do double-duty as I-95 (a short section on the southwest side once did), but about half of the Capital Beltway  (on the south and east sides) must carry much of the "through" I-95 traffic of cars and trucks in addition to local movements.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 14, 2016, 06:33:52 PM
The Baltimore Beltway does not have to do double-duty as I-95 (a short section on the southwest side once did), but about half of the Capital Beltway  (on the south and east sides) must carry much of the "through" I-95 traffic of cars and trucks in addition to local movements.

Still is below capacity. Traffic only occurs due to accidents or Redskins games. Proves no need for a highway through DC.

hbelkins

I'd much rather drive Baltimore's. I've driven the length of both of them and from a traffic standpoint, I-695 wins hands-down in my view. Plus, Key Bridge > Wilson Bridge.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: hbelkins on April 14, 2016, 09:32:20 PM
Plus, Key Bridge > Wilson Bridge.

Wilson Bridge has the distinction of touching three state-level jurisdictions. Don't know of many, if any, others that do that.

kj3400

Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on April 14, 2016, 07:57:10 PM

Still is below capacity. Traffic only occurs due to accidents or Redskins games. Proves no need for a highway through DC.

The overloaded nature of U.S. 50 in Prince George's County does.  As does the economic stagnation of areas along the Green Line (compare and contrast West Hyattsville and Prince George's Plaza to the stops along the Orange Line).

A significant percentage of goods delivered by truck to the District of Columbia comes down U.S. 50 from Maryland, then continues into the city via U.S. 50 or Md. 201/D.C. 295.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on April 14, 2016, 07:57:10 PM

Being at, above, or below capacity doesn't have anything to do with importance.  Being able to move traffic thru an area does.  Make a road 10 lanes wide each way to eliminate traffic jams doesn't mean the roadway is suddenly unimportant, just as a 2 lane congested roadway going thru a small down because of bad signal timing doesn't make it very important.  Using the NJ Turnpike for example, the fact that it was 6 lanes 5 years ago vs. 12 lanes today did not increase or decrease its importance one bit.  It simply allowed traffic to flow better.

Yes, I was referring to 95 as the main road, although 'the parent road' would have been a better choice of words.

In this respect, the DC Beltway is of the utmost importance.  Without it, 95 would terminate.

The fact that the beltways were built lessoned the importance of building the other 2 di highways headed towards the city, as motorists could use them to get to other destinations.  They would've/should've been built, but the beltway assists in carrying the load, and gave opponents even greater reason to cancel the projects.

TravelingBethelite

Now, where do the Hartford, Boston, or Providence beltways figure into all this?  :awesomeface:   :spin: :bigass:
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Henry

Because I-95 goes through Baltimore but not Washington, I prefer I-695 as a much better alternative than the western end of I-495. If you don't mind going up to the sky, the Key Bridge is a great way to go, plus you get to view the downtown skyline on a clear day, and it's a much more scenic drive through that part of town, which isn't as built-up as the others.

OTOH, I-495 has the National Cathedral going for it and the few twists and turns in that area, but nothing else.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: Henry on April 15, 2016, 11:41:25 AM
OTOH, I-495 has the National Cathedral going for it and the few twists and turns in that area, but nothing else.

Wrong. National Cathedral is in DC and nowhere near the Beltway. You're thinking of the Mormon temple in Kensington.

tckma

As congested as I-695 gets during rush hours (to a point where my commute is US-29:I-70:MD-97:MD-140 versus US-29:I-70:I-695:I-795:MD-140), I-495/I-95 is much much MORE unpleasant to drive.  I try to avoid the DC area entirely whenever possible, opting for US-301 or US-15 to points south, regardless of the time of day, unless I'm specifically headed somewhere inside/near the Beltway.  Plus, you don't have the idiotic Lexus Lanes that aren't even properly separated from the main lanes.

Jmiles32

Quote from: tckma on April 15, 2016, 02:06:15 PM
As congested as I-695 gets during rush hours (to a point where my commute is US-29:I-70:MD-97:MD-140 versus US-29:I-70:I-695:I-795:MD-140), I-495/I-95 is much much MORE unpleasant to drive.  I try to avoid the DC area entirely whenever possible, opting for US-301 or US-15 to points south, regardless of the time of day, unless I'm specifically headed somewhere inside/near the Beltway.  Plus, you don't have the idiotic Lexus Lanes that aren't even properly separated from the main lanes.

I would say in terms of volume, the entire capital beltway and the western half I-695 have around the same amount of horrendous traffic, the only difference is the eastern half of I-695 around the key bridge in which traffic is much lighter because most thru traffic takes I-95 or I-895 thru Baltimore.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.