News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

OKDOT Agency News

Started by Plutonic Panda, April 30, 2017, 10:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5280

This plan is essentially a nothing-burger for Southwest Oklahoma. The only project of real significance is the proposed bypass around the West side of Chickasha. It's the biggest project in this region by an extremely wide margin. The Duncan Bypass will get a $6 million interchange for Elk Avenue. Here in Lawton, the biggest city in SW OK, we may get some puny "safety improvement" for Rogers Lane (US-62). I have no idea what that "safety improvement" may be. The stupid road doesn't even have any shoulders.

Plutonic Panda

OkDOT should be preserving ROW for new freeways in Lawton in the future if growth ever warrants. Lawton has potential if they market themselves right.

The US-81 bypass has been delayed a few years. :/

rte66man

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on December 10, 2020, 01:03:16 AM
OkDOT should be preserving ROW for new freeways in Lawton in the future if growth ever warrants. Lawton has potential if they market themselves right.

The US-81 bypass has been delayed a few years. :/

That is criminal. The intersection with Elk is a black spot for fatal accidents. They could find that $6 million easily enough.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

In_Correct

QuoteBartlesville

That town has a dozen rail lines going through it, all of them with only at grade crossings. They badly need grade separations.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Bobby5280

Quote from: rte66manThat is criminal. The intersection with Elk is a black spot for fatal accidents. They could find that $6 million easily enough.

ODOT should have, at bare minimum, installed some street lights and warning signals along the Duncan bypass at the intersections like Elk Avenue and Plato Rd. They should have done that when they built the first phase of the bypass almost 20 years ago. I really dislike the intersection with Osage Rd. The bypass goes around a broad curve as it approaches that intersection. Visibility is not so good.

The Northern extension of the Duncan Bypass, which would dove-tail back into US-81 on the South side of Marlow, looks like it has been taken off the books.

Quote from: In_CorrectThat town has a dozen rail lines going through it, all of them with only at grade crossings.

Bartlesville? That town has one active rail line running North-South through it. All the railroad crossings are at-grade, but that's a single track route that isn't super busy. At least it's not busy on the order of the Southern Transcon line which runs through Woodward off to the West.

Plutonic Panda

It looks like ODOT is FINALLY going to embrace zipper merging though I wonder how well it is going to work in Oklahoma given all the road warriors here.

https://oklahoma.gov/odot/citizen/newsroom/2021/march/oklahoma-s-first-zipper-merge-coming-to-i-35-in-pauls-valley-thi.html

kphoger

But, but, but, but........

STATE LAW ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Plutonic Panda

So I'm guessing OKDOT can choose where that is at that law applies to all merging zones and was changed?

Plutonic Panda

It looks Oklahoma will get about 5 billion dollars as part of the hard infrastructure package being debated on in the senate right now. A majority of it will go to roads and bridges giving OkDOT a 30 percent increase in funding.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news/local/oklahoma-city/2021/08/05/infrastructure-bill-would-increase-highway-bridge-funding-oklahoma/5488268001/

I am personally excited for the next update to the 5 year plan. It should really have some projects moved up with some new ones in the pipeline and I don't think it will reflect the infrastructure package either. That will be in next years update I'd guess.

Plutonic Panda

I-35

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 04, 2021, 06:26:39 PM
The new 8yr plan is out

https://oklahoma.gov/odot/programs-and-projects/8-year-construction-work-plan.html

Interesting that six-laning I-35 up to almost Marietta from the Red River is on the plan, albeit a few years out.

bugo

At least the US 59/OK 9 overlap west of Spiro is in the program.

Bobby5280

I didn't see much to be excited about in that 8 year plan, particularly in District 7. The US-81 bypass for Chickasha is by far the biggest project in the region. 

It looks like the biggest project for Lawton, proposed for the 2025 time frame is a new exit on the US-62 freeway West of Lawton. This $16M project is supposed to be a connection to a Northern extension of Goodyear Blvd. This would allow traffic from the big industrial park on Lawton's West side an alternative outlet to I-44, via Rogers Lane. For many years that commercial traffic has been using 82nd Street to get down to OK-36 and then over to I-44. 82nd Street going South of Lawton is in horrible condition from all the wear and tear due to truck traffic. I haven't seen any designs of this exit on US-62. For all I know it could end up being an at-grade intersection with a traffic light.

With the extra traffic burden that will be put onto Rogers Lane ODOT appears to have $5.5M in "safety improvements" planned between 82nd Street and I-44. That cost spread across 6 miles of road probably isn't going to amount to much. I don't think $5.5M would cover the cost of adding shoulders (which Rogers Lane currently lacks).

Plutonic Panda

Yeah it wasn't too exciting. I guess the biggest take away for me on it was it was a massive improvement over last year"˜s plan basically cut tons of projects as a result of reduce funding in this one restored most of those and added a bunch of new rural projects which those areas are important to obviously.

It's kind of hard to get excited about OKC's Area Projects when almost everything is 2027-2029. I'm hoping if an infrastructure bill passes next year's 8 year update will be more exciting.

The biggest projects of note:

I-40 expansion/reconstruction in the eastern section of the metro continuing next year at Douglas Boulevard and continuing with various projects being awarded until 2028. It will be probably be 2030 until that corridor is overhauled.

I-240/I-35 interchange which has been pushed back and forward so many times I'm not really sure if it technically expedited but ODOT has the entire thing be letted in FY 23.

Not many details but it looks like the I-44/I-40 interchange reconstruction will be gearing up in 2029.

I-35 will be expanded to six lanes from I-44 to I-40 in the later part of the decade.

The next phase of the I-35/I-44 interchange reconstruction/redesign by Remington starts next year.

US-281 realignment basically building a new freeway bypass with a full cloverleaf interchange(blah) at I-44 starts in a year or two with some smaller projects and a full build out later on in the decade.

ODOT seems to be eying I-35 with an eventual expansion of six lanes at least from Dallas to OKC with the first part of that starting in south Oklahoma as another poster here pointed out.

okc1

Asked via Twitter if turnpike plans could be on the ODOT plan. Nope. "@stevencreynolds Hi Steve, the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority oversees the states' turnpike system. You can visit their page at @OKTurnpike for more information. Thank you!"
Steve Reynolds
Midwest City OK
Native of Southern Erie Co, NY

Scott5114

Yeah, the ODOT plan is the result of allocating funding they get from the Legislature. OTA is funded by bonds and toll revenue and therefore their schedule looks a lot different. Merging the two into one schedule would be rather difficult since they're on different timelines as far as updates go.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Plutonic Panda

rte66man

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 07, 2021, 02:57:25 PM
This is their project status update which they just updated today:

https://oklahoma.gov/content/dam/ok/en/ota/documents/other/Project%20Status%20Update.pdf

Would love to see what they have planned for the SB US77 to EB JKT movement as one doesn't exist and there really isn't room for a decent loop ramp. Although I expect that is what they will do given the paltry price tag, that will cause serious weaving issues.

-Yogi Berra

Plutonic Panda

^^^^ I hope it's a flyover but I'm getting excited after seeing plans to complete the SH-74 interchange with flyovers only to see it go from being let(in 2019/2020 IIRC) to being shelved to it no longer being on the list of projects. I assume either it was too expensive or perhaps the OTA just felt they had bigger priorities. Either way I was not happy about that.

rte66man

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 08, 2021, 07:03:59 PM
^^^^ I hope it's a flyover but I'm getting excited after seeing plans to complete the SH-74 interchange with flyovers only to see it go from being let(in 2019/2020 IIRC) to being shelved to it no longer being on the list of projects. I assume either it was too expensive or perhaps the OTA just felt they had bigger priorities. Either way I was not happy about that.

The amount shown isn't enough for a flyover. They would have to buy the RoW along the west side to have room for a flyover ramp.. Some pretty substantial businesses there to buy out.

-Yogi Berra

Plutonic Panda

This isn't ODOT but since the OTA is more intertwined with ODOT now I don't want to make a new thread for this.

I was browsing around and discovered an OTA website that looks different from the Pikepass website. I found a section going into detail about modernization efforts and the new districts they will have. Currently they have 7 districts and will consolidate them into a NW, SE, SW, Central, and NE setup making 5 districts. I'll link the report in below.

What's weird is they chose Duncan over Lawton for the SW Regional office with Clinton and Altus having smaller offices. Not sure a turnpike near Clinton and Lawton would make more sense as it's right on I-44. It makes no sense.

Here's a link. Scroll to the bottom and click on "draft final recommendations report."  It's a 127 pages with the regions and office locations on page 96: https://oklahoma.gov/odot/about/transportation-modernization0.html

Bobby5280

At my local AMBUCS civic club meeting last Monday we had the City Manager of Lawton as our guest speaker. Afterward I was talking with him about the city's various needs on street improvements. I half-jokingly told him ODOT regards Lawton as a red-headed step child compared to other cities around the state. It's kind of telling Lawton has a very undesirable status with ODOT and state lawmakers since they would build a regional office in Duncan instead of 25 miles West in a much bigger city on a more important highway junction.

Lawton has a bunch of street and highway improvement needs the local tax base can't cover all on its own. ODOT has its own obligations to corridors in this area, like I-44 and US-62. ODOT built a Super 2 bypass in Duncan that can be eventually upgraded into an Interstate quality freeway. They're going to do the same thing in Chickasha. Meanwhile Lawton has its fake Interstate, Rogers Lane, which now carries the US-62 designation. The road has some dangerous design flaws. Those flaws are going to be magnified after the extension of Goodyear Blvd to US-62 is completed. A lot more trucks will be using Rogers Lane to get to I-44. Lawton has plans to improve Lee Blvd between Goodyear Blvd and I-44. But it's just going to be a higher grade of asphalt. It will take just a little longer for semi trucks to beat the surface to hell. Rogers Lane needs to be upgraded into a real freeway. And Lawton needs a South bypass to route truck traffic from I-44 out to the industrial park on Lawton's West side.

Plutonic Panda

ODOT needs to start planning some major projects around Lawton soon. If the state would properly invest in the area and market it they could make a trendy spot to move to. It already has some industry and natural landscape going for it. It's just held back by severe neglect.

rte66man

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 06, 2022, 02:21:57 AM
This isn't ODOT but since the OTA is more intertwined with ODOT now I don't want to make a new thread for this.

I was browsing around and discovered an OTA website that looks different from the Pikepass website. I found a section going into detail about modernization efforts and the new districts they will have. Currently they have 7 districts and will consolidate them into a NW, SE, SW, Central, and NE setup making 5 districts. I'll link the report in below.

What's weird is they chose Duncan over Lawton for the SW Regional office with Clinton and Altus having smaller offices. Not sure a turnpike near Clinton and Lawton would make more sense as it's right on I-44. It makes no sense.

Here's a link. Scroll to the bottom and click on "draft final recommendations report."  It's a 127 pages with the regions and office locations on page 96: https://oklahoma.gov/odot/about/transportation-modernization0.html

Since ODOT District 7 is already in Duncan, it makes me wonder if they will office together

-Yogi Berra

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: rte66man on March 06, 2022, 08:21:20 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 06, 2022, 02:21:57 AM

Since ODOT District 7 is already in Duncan, it makes me wonder if they will office together
Ah, didn't know that. That's probably what they'll do.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.