News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Responding to other drivers bad habits

Started by webny99, December 21, 2017, 11:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

There are countless things drivers do that irk us, but here I made a list of what I feel are the top seven:

1 Left Lane Camping
2 Tailgating
3 Cutting In (to get to the left lane)
4 Cutting In (to take an immediate exit)
5 Talking/Texting on Phone
6 No Signal or Excessive Signal
7 High Beams or No Headlights

I'm not asking for a list of additional irksome habits (we all know we could go on forever). Rather, I am wondering how you respond when you encounter the above scenarios. Feel free to discuss your reaction (or state "no reaction") or rate your anger on a 1-10 scale for each scenario.

corco

1 - I get behind them in the left lane and throw my left blinker on. If it persists, I flash my bright. If it continues to persist, I pass them on the right, change lanes to the left, gently brake check them and move back to the right. If there is a "Keep Right Except To Pass" sign, I'll roll down my window and point at it.

2- On the freeway or in urban contexts I don't care. If somebody rides my ass in a residential neighborhood I slow to the speed limit (if I wasn't already going the speed limit). On mountainous highways where it may be difficult to pass, I take it as a sign they would like to pass and pull over as soon as practicable to let them by. On straight rural highways where it's easy to pass, I move over towards the shoulder so they can see better once it is safe to pass.

3- Don't care, as long as they do it smoothly. It they don't, I may flash my brights.

4- See above

5- don't care, unless they are driving erratically, at which point I honk my horn at them whenever they do something erratic.

6- Don't care unless they slow to a stop without signal for no apparent reason to turn, in which case I honk my horn.

7- Flash headlights as a courtesy or get next to them at the next light, roll down the window, and notify them- I don't care, just don't want them to get pulled over.

webny99

1 Left Lane Camper

Rage: 6 to 9, depending on speed
Response: When I encounter a left lane obstruction, I try to position myself behind them in the right lane, so I can temporarily control traffic flow (and thereby resolve the problem). I match their speed, and flash my high beams, to signal that it is safe for them to move right. I repeat a few times until there is a response. If there is no response, I get angry. I either speed up > cut them off > hit brakes, or cut over white line > honk > pass slowly. I feel that my response, though aggressive, is justified because I have proof that they are knowingly obstructing flow, which is 100% unacceptable.

2 Tailgater

Rage: 3 to 5, depending on previous observation
Response: I start with turning on my four-way flashers. This has a very high success rate. However, if there is no response, I will gradually slow down (no brakes). I rarely feel the need to pursue the matter further, as I take great precautions not to be an obstruction. It goes without saying that if there is available space to my right, I will move right.

3 Cutting In (to reach the left lane)

Rage: Case-by-Case
Response: There are only two choices, let them in, or don't. Generally speaking, I have mercy and yield (without braking), expecting the same in turn. However: If there is no one directly in front of them, and no one directly behind me, no way. I will not give you a free permit to use the left lane as a "fast" lane. It's for passing! If someone decides to cut me off and not keep up with traffic flow, I will consider a further response. Otherwise, I'm probably over it.

Rage: 10. Zero Tolerance.
Response: No way. Not a chance I will let you in. It is your responsibility to be in the correct lane at least a quarter mile in advance of your exit. Especially if backups for the exit are typical.
This particular ramp to 590 North is a straight up rip-off. There's always backups at least to Exit 23 during the afternoon rush, and there's always idiots cutting in at the last second :banghead: In some ways, I invite them to cut me off by insisting on maintaining a safe following distance. However, the second they attempt to nose in, I accelerate to within inches of the nearest bumper. Not a chance. I will force you down 590 South (or whatever) before I will let you in. If you get in right behind me, I may also put it in reverse for a minute until you start sweating.

Rage: 1 to 2
Response: To be honest, I rarely notice, and therefore rarely respond. If it reflected in their driving skills, I may consider honking or using four-way flashers.

Rage: 1 to 2
Response: What can I do? Nothing that will make them realize their error. So I usually don't respond, nor do I consider this a major offense. Annoying? Yes. Disruptive to flow? Rarely.

Rage: 2 to 3
Response: Flash lights. The more times I do it before you get the message, the angrier I get. If you are a large truck or SUV approaching with your bright lights on, I may also consider cutting you off.

formulanone

1 - Wait...some get the message, some don't. If not, pass on the right when safe to do so. If it's a long trip, you're really only losing a few minutes' time.

2 - Usually don't care. I'll move over if I can, but will lift slightly if they're excessive (I'm not going to move over into traffic that going 15 mph slower than me.)

3 - As long as they don't brake-check, I don't care that much. I might flash my lights in annoyance if they're just cutting me so they can now be the 17th car - instead of the 18th vehicle - in the struggling left lane queue. (Congratulations! You're also part of the problem.)

4 - There's ranges of this from extreme annoyance to meh. The one that breaks hard in the left lane, cuts over 2-4 lanes, and dive-bombs into the lane with a major sweeping though the exit gore is the most dangerous one of all. (There's no shame in taking the next exit, douchebag.) But a gentle cut-in where space permits...it happens to all of us. If anybody has ever claimed to have never made a last-second exit change, they're either lying, never driven, or not traveled anywhere new.

5 - If they're not weaving and staying in the lane...So what?

6 - On highways: Only really desirable for sudden maneuvers. (On surface streets, I'd prefer if one signals all the time; realistically, I only need to know why one is slowing, turning, or stopped in a through lane. Excessive signalling usually happens in the left lane when the operator has it stuck. (Some cars have quieter relay clickers than others, some have steering wheels which block the green arrow indicators, and some cars have both.)

7 - Flash my lights, or wave (although this seems a bit futile).

tradephoric

Just don't flash the wrong driver.  There was a road rage incident in Detroit yesterday after a guy got flashed driving in the slow lane on I-94.  They were thinking "you flash me, i shoot you".

QuoteThe second reporting shooting occurred on Wednesday December 20th, 2017, at approximately 740AM, troopers from the Metro North post were notified of a shooting that took place on I-94 and Allard in the city of Harper Woods.

The preliminary investigation revealed that the victim was travelling in the left lane of I-94 eastbound when he came across a Red in color, Chevrolet full size pick-up truck with Kentucky license plates travelling in the same lane. The victim flashed his lights to get the pick-up to move over. The driver of the pickup stayed in the lane and the victim passed the vehicle. The pickup pulled alongside and the driver produced a handgun and fired a shot. There was no damage to the victim's vehicle and the suspect fled the freeway at the Eight Mile exit.

No one was injured in this incident.

Anyone with information are asked to contact the Michigan State Police Metro North Post at 248-584-5740.

jeffandnicole

Yesterday's irritation can go under #8: Christmas Spirit.  Letting someone in is ok.  Let a whole line of people in is not, especially when there's traffic behind you that would also like to go at some point.

Quote from: tradephoric on December 21, 2017, 12:53:16 PM
Just don't flash the wrong driver.  There was a road rage incident in Detroit yesterday after a guy got flashed driving in the slow lane on I-94.  They were thinking "you flash me, i shoot you".

I flash my lights or honk the horn on occasion...and my wife hates it for this exact reason.

ekt8750

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 21, 2017, 01:09:57 PM
Yesterday's irritation can go under #8: Christmas Spirit.  Letting someone in is ok.  Let a whole line of people in is not, especially when there's traffic behind you that would also like to go at some point.

That is my biggest pet peeve. You can't do that if there's a mile long line of cars behind you.

J N Winkler

My responses:

Quote from: webny99 on December 21, 2017, 11:36:26 AM1 Left Lane Camping

It depends on the situation, but I don't rule out overtaking on the right if I can do it safely.  I very rarely encounter an isolated left-lane camper; by far the more common problem is traffic stacking up in the left lane behind someone who is passing but doing so at an unreasonably small speed differential.  I try to structure overtaking maneuvers so I am past the vehicle I am overtaking within very few seconds--not just to avoid blocking other traffic that wishes to pass but also to avoid sitting in the overtaken vehicle's blind spot for an extended period of time.

If I am in the right lane wishing to pass and have to wait for an extended queue of overtaking vehicles to clear, I will often reset the cruise control so that I am tailing the overtaken vehicle at a generous and slowly increasing headway, even if this means going as slow as 60 or even 55 in a 70 zone.  Then, when the queue clears, I will move over, speed up quite a bit--I don't mind 15 over or even a little more for overtakes, subject to super-speeder laws etc.--and once the overtake is finished, move over and return to my preferred cruising speed.

Quote from: webny99 on December 21, 2017, 11:36:26 AM2 Tailgating

I increase following distance (in effect adding the following distance the tailgater is not leaving to his or her bill).  I also increase advance notice of turns by deploying my turn signal earlier.

Quote from: webny99 on December 21, 2017, 11:36:26 AM3 Cutting In (to get to the left lane)

I drop back to restore maneuvering room.  I do this often enough myself that I can't take offense when it is done to me.

Quote from: webny99 on December 21, 2017, 11:36:26 AM4 Cutting In (to take an immediate exit)

Again, I drop back to restore maneuvering room.  I also do this often enough myself that I can't object when it is done to me.

Quote from: webny99 on December 21, 2017, 11:36:26 AM5 Talking/Texting on Phone

I act as if the talker/texter is tailgating since his or her attention is divided and his or her reaction times will be correspondingly slower.

Quote from: webny99 on December 21, 2017, 11:36:26 AM6 No Signal or Excessive Signal

Besides a blinker left on for miles and miles because the driver forgot to check that it cancelled properly, what counts as "excessive signal"?  Very occasionally, if another driver has clearly forgotten a blinking signal, I am in his or her forward field of view, and the gesture will not be misinterpreted as my actually signalling a turn or lane change, I will try to give him or her a hint by turning on my own blinker and abruptly cancelling it.

Quote from: webny99 on December 21, 2017, 11:36:26 AM7 High Beams or No Headlights

I give one flash of the brights in the "no headlights" case.  I no longer flash for "high beams" since I find in about 70% of cases the dazzle is from high headlamp mounting height.

Quote from: webny99 on December 21, 2017, 11:36:26 AMI'm not asking for a list of additional irksome habits (we all know we could go on forever). Rather, I am wondering how you respond when you encounter the above scenarios. Feel free to discuss your reaction (or state "no reaction") or rate your anger on a 1-10 scale for each scenario.

As a general rule, I try to resist the temptation to become annoyed.  People vary very considerably in how much attention and enthusiasm they devote to the driving task (some are very attentive and enthusiastic, to the point that they see a routine commute as a chance to try out new nuances of technique, while others are steeped in boredom and ennui, are semi-oblivious to surrounding traffic, barely manage to get the key things right, and think of driving in general as a chore "monkeys can be trained to do").  And even skilled and enthusiastic drivers can have off days when their thoughts are on other things or when they are almost too physically ill to drive well or take pleasure in the driving task.

When I see something on the road that annoys or upsets me--which is as likely to be something like debris on the road as it is the thoughtlessness of other drivers--I have a heuristic that I deploy.  I ask myself:  Why am I here?  Why am I in this situation?  What can I do in the future to avoid being in it again?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on December 21, 2017, 11:36:26 AM
1 Left Lane Camping
2 Tailgating

1.  Ride their butt for a short time, maybe with my left blinker on.  Then just go around on the right.

2.  Doesn't bother me very much.  Sometimes I'll tap my brakes while keeping the other foot on the gas.

3.  Doesn't bother me very much.  We obviously both need to pass someone.

4.  Doesn't bother me very much.  In fact, I do the same thing sometimes.

5.  Doesn't bother me very much, unless it's making them do stupid stuff.  I occasionally use my phone too.

6.  Mild irritation.  For truckers who've left their signal on, I put mine on after getting back in front of them for a while.

7a.  Flash my brights very quickly.

7b.  Briefly turn my headlights off and back on again, twice in quick succession.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on December 21, 2017, 03:31:10 PM
If I am in the right lane wishing to pass and have to wait for an extended queue of overtaking vehicles to clear, I will often reset the cruise control so that I am tailing the overtaken vehicle at a generous and slowly increasing headway, even if this means going as slow as 60 or even 55 in a 70 zone.  Then, when the queue clears, I will move over, speed up quite a bit--I don't mind 15 over or even a little more for overtakes, subject to super-speeder laws etc.--and once the overtake is finished, move over and return to my preferred cruising speed.

Excellent.  This is what I do as well.  I like to drive fast in general, but I certainly don't mind letting people who are even faster than me complete their overtaking maneuver.

I also increase advance notice of turns by deploying my turn signal earlier.

Also excellent.  Signaling your intentions clearly helps them avoid doing risky things at a terrible moment.

Besides a blinker left on for miles and miles because the driver forgot to check that it cancelled properly, what counts as "excessive signal"?  Very occasionally, if another driver has clearly forgotten a blinking signal, I am in his or her forward field of view, and the gesture will not be misinterpreted as my actually signalling a turn or lane change, I will try to give him or her a hint by turning on my own blinker and abruptly cancelling it.

Sometimes they still don't pick up on the hint.  I've found that slowly alternating between right and left signalling gets the point across to the person behind you.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Besides a blinker left on for miles and miles because the driver forgot to check that it cancelled properly, what counts as "excessive signal"?
I'd say anything more than seven or eight blinks (for a merge) is "excessive". Everyone can decide for themselves what constitutes "annoying".

QuoteSome are very attentive and enthusiastic, to the point that they see a routine commute as a chance to try out new nuances of technique
Very impressed with how well I have been described  :D

Quote from: kphoger on December 21, 2017, 03:32:03 PM
3.  Doesn't bother me very much.  We obviously both need to pass someone.
I am only hesitant to let them in if they don't need to pass someone. We have folks around here that force their way into the left lane just to "be in the fast lane"  :banghead:

Quote from: formulanone on December 21, 2017, 12:28:57 PM
4 - There's ranges of this from extreme annoyance to meh. The one that breaks hard in the left lane, cuts over 2-4 lanes, and dive-bombs into the lane with a major sweeping though the exit gore is the most dangerous one of all. (There's no shame in taking the next exit, douchebag.) But a gentle cut-in where space permits...it happens to all of us. If anybody has ever claimed to have never made a last-second exit change, they're either lying, never driven, or not traveled anywhere new.
I'm talking about people who intentionally wait until the last second - and then cut in front of a two-mile string of stopped/barely moving vehicles. I may cut in myself if traffic is free-flowing, but when people are completely stopped? I find it really irksome to yield when you know you just let them save 5-10 minutes compared to everyone else, not to mention increase the overall delay.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on December 21, 2017, 03:58:12 PM
Besides a blinker left on for miles and miles because the driver forgot to check that it cancelled properly, what counts as "excessive signal"?
I'd say anything more than seven or eight blinks (for a merge) is "excessive". Everyone can decide for themselves what constitutes "annoying".

If there's someone who keeps his blinker on for a quarter-mile, just waiting for someone to be kind enough to please please please let them over into the next lane, my reaction is...  "Dude, either get over or stay put.  Your blinker is there to tell me what you're going to do, not to ask my permission for it.  Learn how to merge."

We have folks around here that force their way into the left lane just to "be in the fast lane"  :banghead:

Oh yeah, there are plenty of those around here.  The freeways are three lanes each way, though, so it's pretty easy to pass them anyway.  I find the behavior you describe to be considerably less common where it's just two lanes each way.

I'm talking about people who intentionally wait until the last second - and then cut in front of a two-mile string of stopped/barely moving vehicles. I may cut in myself if traffic is free-flowing, but when people are completely stopped? I find it really irksome to yield when you know you just let them save 5-10 minutes compared to everyone else, not to mention increase the overall delay.

My daily commute home involves exiting via the option lane here, and I do it approaching the afternoon rush.  The exit-only (accel/decel) lane is frequently stacked up at 40 mph or less, sometimes a dead stop at the gore point.  The option lane (rightmost of the three through lanes) is frequently stacked up with people who are trying to merge their way over into that lane, or else merge their way out onto the mainline from just getting on.  So, probably one day out of every three, I do a double lane change from the center lane, because my ramp is free and clear.  It's a roll of the dice, however, that I'm going to get a gap in traffic–that is, I'm banking on the fact that at least half the people in the right lane are actually going to change lanes to the right.  Every once in a while, I never get that gap.  And you know what?  There's no shame in taking the next exit.  I get off at the next exit and take this phallic-shaped route instead (free-flowing due to the folded diamond configuration).

Edited for penis.
Male pronouns, please.

bzakharin

1 Left Lane Camping
As long as they're not preventing me from achieving my desired speed I don't care (unless I'm in the car with them in which case I'll say something). If they are I'll get progressively angrier the longer it goes on up to 10. I'll try to tailgate them briefly hoping they'll do what I do (see below). If not, well, there's not much else to do but follow them at their speed.
2 Tailgating
I don't care as far as anger level is concerned. It's their problem, not mine. However, if traffic allows I'll move over even if it means slowing down a bit to let them pass. If traffic does not allow, I speed up to finish my pass sooner and get out of the way.
Anger level about 4. I do it too occasionally, especially when #1 is a factor.
Anger level 6. Honk maybe
I don't look at what other drivers are doing inside their cars. Even if I did, I'm not the police. As long as they're not driving in a dangerous manner, I don't care (again, unless I'm a passenger).
There are places nobody signals by convention. If it's a place I frequent, it bugs me (anger level 3), but I learn to live with it. Otherwise, no signal is not really a problem I encounter enough to care. I do encounter excessive signalling on occasion, but once I figure it out, it doesn't bother me much (anger level 1)
Anger level 6 or so.  don't do anything about it, though.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on December 21, 2017, 04:22:10 PM
We have folks around here that force their way into the left lane just to "be in the fast lane"  :banghead:

Oh yeah, there are plenty of those around here.  The freeways are three lanes each way, though, so it's pretty easy to pass them anyway.  I find the behavior you describe to be considerably less common where it's just two lanes each way.

I presume you knew that Rochester has plenty of six lane freeways as well  :D I agree that it's more common on such freeways; however, I am hesitant to pass on the right. I would prefer the system work as it's intended to and me be able to pass on the left.

Quote from: kphoger on December 21, 2017, 04:22:10 PM
My daily commute home involves exiting via the option lane here, and I do it approaching the afternoon rush.  The exit-only (accel/decel) lane is frequently stacked up at 40 mph or less, sometimes a dead stop at the gore point.  The option lane (rightmost of the three through lanes) is frequently stacked up with people who are trying to merge their way over into that lane, or else merge their way out onto the mainline from just getting on.  So, probably one day out of every three, I do a double lane change from the center lane, because my ramp is free and clear.  It's a roll of the dice, however, that I'm going to get a gap in traffic–that is, I'm banking on the fact that at least half the people in the right lane are actually going to change lanes to the right.  Every once in a while, I never get that gap.  And you know what?  There's no shame in taking the next exit.  I get off at the next exit and take this phallic-shaped route instead (free-flowing due to the folded diamond configuration).

Very similar situation that I linked to above - a ramp that splits in two with most traffic taking the far right fork  :banghead: In my case, though, everyone heading to the far right ramp uses "early" merging.* So anyone exiting and taking the left fork - as you are - will never face the dilemma you face - the option lane is always open for the taking. Unless someone decides to cut the queue at the last second. Hence my hatred for these people - they screw up the flow on both forks of the ramp with their idiocy.

*When I say early, I mean really early. Like right here everyone does two 45 degree turns and starts lining up against the sound barrier.

webny99

Quote from: corco on December 21, 2017, 11:45:09 AM
1 - I get behind them in the left lane and throw my left blinker on.

I have tried that a number of times, but with limited success. The problem with staying behind them is that people will be whizzing by on the right the whole time - which I find equally irksome. I'd rather provide them with a specific opportunity to move right - then I get the credit for diffusing the situation. Further, it seems like a more genuine attempt to help - as opposed to them seeing you as an aggressive driver. They can no longer use the "I'm preventing you from speeding" argument, nor the "I didn't have a chance" argument. Finally, this makes the problem more evident to other drivers. No one can get through until the left lane hog does the right thing. If they do, it's a win-win. If they don't, they will be made to feel my cold displeasure and spend the rest of their days wishing they did.

Quote3- Don't care, as long as they do it smoothly. It they don't, I may flash my brights.

4- See above

In free flowing traffic conditions, I agree, merge whenever you like - preferably when it's least disruptive to others. But if you are stopped, with two cars bumper to bumper next to you, you can no longer merge smoothly. Now there is a completely unnecessary problem - and I have no sympathy for the one who caused it.

corco

Quote from: webny99 on December 21, 2017, 06:27:16 PM
In free flowing traffic conditions, I agree, merge whenever you like - preferably when it's least disruptive to others. But if you are stopped, with two cars bumper to bumper next to you, you can no longer merge smoothly. Now there is a completely unnecessary problem - and I have no sympathy for the one who caused it.

By smooth I mean quickly and decisively - if you see a gap and get in and just do it, even if my lane is stopped, I respect that. In fact, I'm often the one making that maneuver because it is a more efficient use of capacity.

If you act all indecisive about it and throw your blinker on and hesitate and wait for somebody to GIVE you a gap, that's not smooth and I get annoyed. If there's empty pavement, get your wheels into it decisively. If you do that, I will never complain.

Hurricane Rex

1 Left Lane Camping
2 Tailgating

My order
1: Left lane hogs
2. Tailgating
3. cell phone use
4. Cutting to left lane
5. Cutting to exit
6. Headlights
7. Turn signals.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

formulanone

I think mostly it's annoying, but sometimes actually understandable.

There's places I'll live near/travel to which have ample room or notification for merging, and others that don't. The locals may all know that they have to wait in turn two exits ahead for a future ramp lane, especially without signage (or signage that's not visible in a lane due to stopped/slow traffic), so an out-of-towner may not "know that". One time I was trying to get home though the Louisville airport in the pouring rain, and couldn't find the exit for I-264 from I-65 because it was backed up so far north, yet totally free-flowing in the though lanes. Only realized that about 200 feet from the gore point! Luckily, there was just ample room, and someone was nice enough to let me in.

There's times I've come down a hill only to find there's a blockage ahead, debris in the road, a breakdown, a police officer...whatever.

We've had discussions whereby there's different reasons to move as close to the "head" of the line as possible. An extremely short merge with limited to no notice...totally understandable, yet it's going to be irksome. When there's 2 miles of notice in limited traffic that a lane will drop? Less understandable. I've also heard that different areas of the country promote different ideals on merging at different times. In narrower expressways where there's lots of close-by exits, allowing one lane to free-flow as much as possible makes sense, even if it does make the line-cutter appear greedy.

Personally, I've noticed I get a lot less frustrated at other drivers as I've gotten older for a variety of reasons:

1) Fleeting behaviors aren't worth the raise in blood pressure, anxiety, and/or possible damage.
2) Despite my user name, it's not a race (sometimes low-traffic backroads are an exception).
3) I've made all the same mistakes before, except my extreme example of cutting over several lanes.

AlexandriaVA

In general, I'm quick to use the horn. I never understood why people don't honk...it's your only way of communicating with other drivers. Use it or lose it.

SP Cook

IMHO, as with anything in life, informing people of their shortcomings is a societal way of improving habits.  If a person gets flipped off by everyone every time they do a particular thing, bet that left-lane banditry or taking food out of someone else's cart in the supermarket, eventually all but the most self-centered or stupid will learn from it.

1 - 2 Left lane banditry is really just a form of selfishness, is it not.  YOU are taking up all of that space in front of YOU for YOURSELF.  Light flash, pass on right, engage right blinker when passed.  Exception 6 for semis, which use the 3rd lane which is illegal in my state.  Not only selfish but illegal.  Light flash, pass on right, point to the sign that says "no trucks in fast lane", call the "how am I drivng number".

2 - 4 True tailgating is dangerous.  Since I am always a safe distance from the car in front of me, there is no reason for anyone else to do differently.  My daily commute includes a 100% certain traffic comes to full stop due to an inadequate bridge (4 lanes, with the road being 6).  I know that, but some out-of-state yahoo wants to tailgate me.  Brake check, if continue let the idiot pass then brandish a firearm.   Three times the idiot who passed me slammed into the stoppage ahead. 

3 - 1 I am, as stated, a safe distance from the car in front of me, but if you want in, fine.  As long as you are willing to go on and not violate #1 above.

4 - 3 If you cannot read the signage, you should not be driving.  The correct procedure is to go to the next exit and turn around.

5 - 0 This is a lost cause.  Generally, I see females doing this in parking lots or city streets, which is where one must pay the most attention.  These people are so self-centered there is nothing you can do about it.  Nothing will work. 

6 - 2 for no signal, bright lights.  Excessive signal is NBD, usually some old guy.  Most modern cars have a boing or something if you leave it on too long.

7 -1 high beams are generally just not paying attention.  No headlights people at dusk, in my experience, are generally drunks or people with beater cars not wanting to alert the cops to the fact they have no or only on headlight.  If you cannot afford basic repairs to your car, you cannot afford to own a car.

webny99

Quote from: corco on December 21, 2017, 10:08:08 PM
Quote from: webny99 on December 21, 2017, 06:27:16 PM

By smooth I mean quickly and decisively - if you see a gap and get in and just do it, even if my lane is stopped, I respect that. In fact, I'm often the one making that maneuver because it is a more efficient use of capacity.

If you act all indecisive about it and throw your blinker on and hesitate and wait for somebody to GIVE you a gap, that's not smooth and I get annoyed. If there's empty pavement, get your wheels into it decisively. If you do that, I will never complain.

It is impossible to go from 55 mph to completely stopped without obstructing the flow behind you. Especially when you are attempting to fit into a gap of a car length or less. Regarding the bold, that is what happens all the time at the interchange I linked to above, and it really annoys me.

Regarding "more efficient use of capacity", I agree - however, there are times when it is best to leave that capacity for cars that need it to prevent them from facing delays. Zipper merging is great for lanes that end - but for lanes that exit, not so much. To put it bluntly, it's unfair to other traffic and causes unnecessary slowdowns (given that you will be forced to slow down significantly in your attempts to cut in).

webny99

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on December 22, 2017, 09:20:11 AM
In general, I'm quick to use the horn. I never understood why people don't honk...it's your only way of communicating with other drivers. Use it or lose it.

I can mention several other ways of communicating... four way flashers, high beams, and certain fingers, to name a few  :-D
The problem with horns is they can be misinterpreted - are you signifying danger, are you angry, are you just doing it for the fun of it, etc.

webny99

Quote from: formulanone on December 22, 2017, 05:44:56 AM
Personally, I've noticed I get a lot less frustrated at other drivers as I've gotten older for a variety of reasons:

1) Fleeting behaviors aren't worth the raise in blood pressure, anxiety, and/or possible damage.
2) Despite my user name, it's not a race (sometimes low-traffic backroads are an exception).
3) I've made all the same mistakes before, except my extreme example of cutting over several lanes.

Younger male drivers *cough* (me) *cough* are generally the most aggressive type of drivers. I expect I will chill out significantly as I age  :-D

J N Winkler

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on December 22, 2017, 09:20:11 AMIn general, I'm quick to use the horn. I never understood why people don't honk...it's your only way of communicating with other drivers. Use it or lose it.

I see little to no value in using the horn.  I've had people keep on backing up until they crashed into me, even when I was leaning on the horn.  It is an excellent way to escalate a situation into a road-rage incident.  No matter how loud it is, you have no guarantee that the other driver will be able to hear it--I have about 90% hearing loss in both ears and can't tell with any degree of assurance when I am being honked at.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Brandon

There are countless things drivers do that irk us, but here I made a list of what I feel are the top seven:

1 Left Lane Camping

Turn on left turn signal (works about 30% of the time), then flash brights if no response (works another 30% of the time).  Then pass the other 40% of the assholes on the right.

Quote2 Tailgating

1. Slow down to the speed limit; 2. Splash them with the windshield wiper fluid (it actually works); 3. Ignore them completely.

Quote3 Cutting In (to get to the left lane)

Depends.  If we're all trying to merge, and they're trying to zipper, no problem.  If they're stupid and racing past everyone before then lane ends, then fuck you, buddy.

Quote4 Cutting In (to take an immediate exit)

Heavy, crawling traffic, and they need to exit immediately, no problem.  If they're just idiots in normal traffic, then they get the horn.

Quote5 Talking/Texting on Phone

Situationally dependent.  If it's in traffic, I just ignore them.  If it's at a signal and they're still stopped while it's green, then they get the horn.

Quote6 No Signal or Excessive Signal

Excessive signal is merely ignored.  No signal, and it directly affects me, they get the horn.

Quote7 High Beams or No Headlights

1. Flick my high beams at them to remind them that they're on.  2. Turn my light off then back on to remind them that they're off.

QuoteI'm not asking for a list of additional irksome habits (we all know we could go on forever). Rather, I am wondering how you respond when you encounter the above scenarios. Feel free to discuss your reaction (or state "no reaction") or rate your anger on a 1-10 scale for each scenario.

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on December 22, 2017, 09:20:11 AM

Agreed.  Horn first, questions later.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.