News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Traffic lights on roads with high speed limits

Started by webny99, January 17, 2018, 08:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: froggie on January 18, 2018, 02:42:42 PM
Quote from: webny99Regarding the bolded statement, I'm not at all convinced.
You need to get out of the Northeast more.  Sure, you have very few in New York state (or New England in general), but that doesn't mean other parts of the country don't have it fairly commonly.  As others have noted, there are numerous roads that meet even your "revised" criteria in the Mid-Atlantic, South, and Midwest.
I've been around plenty  :pan:
Of course, I know many examples exist. I was just playing devils advocate there to prompt maximum response. There's a method to my madness here, and so far, I'm finding what I'm looking for, which is all good.

Quote from: jemacedo9 on January 18, 2018, 10:21:03 PM
Quote from: vdeane on January 18, 2018, 01:08:05 PMand NY 590.

NY 590 no longer has traffic lights...and was truncated to end at Titus Ave roundabout.
Before that construction, I do believe it had a 55 MPH limit though.

Indeed, NY 590 was in the part of her list prefaced by "Former examples include..."  :D

capt.ron

US 72 in Mississippi has a traffic light in Glen. Speed limit is 55, I believe in the area but goes back up to 65 shortly thereafter.
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.8785509,-88.440952,3a,75y,303.25h,95.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDY9mAg3W0xFrdasEo1e_Bg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Another one on 72 is in the little town of Walnut (used to be "stop ahead").

Mark68

Parker Rd (CO 83) southeast of Denver (through parts of Aurora, Centennial, unincorporated Arapahoe & Douglas Counties, into Parker). Heading south (out of town), just past the light at Quincy Ave, the speed limit increases from 45 to 55. There are lights at:

Belleview Ave
Chambers Rd
Orchard Ave
Fair Ave/Lewiston Way

Then there's an interchange with Arapahoe Rd (CO 88 West).

Then lights at:

Chambers Way
Broncos Pkwy/Jamison Ave
Long Ave

The speed limit then decreases back to 45 just before the light at Cottonwood Dr in Parker.

The lights at Belleview and Chambers do have 45mph yellow caution signs mounted with the "Signal Ahead" signs that everyone ignores. The remainder, probably due to newer development farther south (much of it with RIRO access with turn lanes) has apparently done away with the 45 mph pretense.

Edit:

CO 83 south of 20 Mile Rd/Hilltop Dr in Parker and unincorporated Douglas County is another stretch.

From north to south:

Indian Pipe Ln/S Pine Dr (Town of Parker)
Hess Rd (Parker)
J Morgan Blvd (Parker)
Stroh Rd (Parker)
N Pinery Pkwy (The Pinery/unincorporated DougCo)
Old School House Rd/S Pinery Pkwy (The Pinery)
Bayou Gulch Rd (end of 4-lane divided highway)
Castle Oaks Dr (Town of Castle Rock)

Then the speed limit decreases (to 45, then 35) to the intersection with CO 86 in Franktown.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

kphoger

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 18, 2018, 09:38:28 PM
I'll add in US 10/169 through Ramsey and Anoka, 60 MPH and four signals (for now until the DOT finally converts more of them into interchanges).

Just four??  Man, I could swear the number topped 6,000.  They must have been building grade separation over the last several years, huh?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Mark68

I'll add Arapahoe Rd (CO 88) in the Denver suburb of Centennial. 55 mph from just east of Havana St to just east of Jordan Rd (about a mile east of I-25 to about a mile west of Parker Rd/CO 83).

Lights (eastbound) at:

Lima St
Peoria St
Revere Pkwy
Potomac St
Jordan Rd
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

KEK Inc.

WA-20 between Anacortes and Burlington has high-speed traffic lights.  They're not really that uncommon. 
Take the road less traveled.

jemacedo9

Quote from: webny99 on January 19, 2018, 12:34:21 AM
Indeed, NY 590 was in the part of her list prefaced by "Former examples include..."  :D

Yikes...I missed that...oops...!

7/8

I can't think of any examples in Southwestern Ontario. Roads with traffic lights are always 80 km/h (50 mph) or less. But that doesn't people don't drive faster than 80 through the traffic lights :colorful:

Brooks

Walnut Grove Rd in Memphis is 55 mph between Humphreys Blvd and Germantown Pkwy (two SPUI's) and has a traffic light at Farm Rd. Walnut Grove regularly backs up because of the light and only having four lanes.

webny99

Quote from: 7/8 on January 19, 2018, 09:02:42 PM
I can't think of any examples in Southwestern Ontario. Roads with traffic lights are always 80 km/h (50 mph) or less. But that doesn't people don't drive faster than 80 through the traffic lights :colorful:

ON 57 between the Welland Tunnel and the QEW comes to mind. I'm not sure what the speed limit is, though.

7/8

Quote from: webny99 on January 20, 2018, 12:55:34 AM

ON 57 between the Welland Tunnel and the QEW comes to mind. I'm not sure what the speed limit is, though.

I'm guessing you're referring to Thorold Stone Rd (Niagara RR 57). I found these two speed limits signs and both are 80 km/h (the second one is technically on Highway 58):
https://goo.gl/maps/fDPHyW63Lo52
https://goo.gl/maps/TGJVsmsz6yS2

AsphaltPlanet

A good example in Ontario would be the Thunder Bay Expressway.  There are about a dozen traffic signals on the road that otherwise has a 90km/h speed limit.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Buck87

The one place where I can recall seeing multiple traffic lights in a 65 mph zone was on the US 23/441 concurrency near Demorest, Georgia

Near me there's a 55 mph section of OH 4 that has 9 traffic lights in an 11 mile span (from US 20 near Bellevue to Strub Rd near Sandusky)

SSOWorld

in WI? None.  State regulations require 45 MPH zones max in traffic light areas.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

webny99

Quote from: 7/8 on January 20, 2018, 10:11:37 AM
Quote from: webny99 on January 20, 2018, 12:55:34 AM

I'm guessing you're referring to Thorold Stone Rd (Niagara RR 57). I found these two speed limits signs and both are 80 km/h (the second one is technically on Highway 58):
https://goo.gl/maps/fDPHyW63Lo52
https://goo.gl/maps/TGJVsmsz6yS2
Whoops. I wrongly assumed it to be a provincial route, but that is indeed the road I was referring to. It does seem that Ontario will not go higher than 80 km/h on roads with signals, which is understandable in some ways, but still annoying  :pan: I suppose also, 90 km/h would be your closest equivalent to 55mph, and 90 km/h zones do not seem to be very common.

ETA:
Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on January 20, 2018, 10:14:05 AM
A good example in Ontario would be the Thunder Bay Expressway.  There are about a dozen traffic signals on the road that otherwise has a 90km/h speed limit.
When you say "otherwise" am I correct in assuming that the limit drops through the signals?

bassoon1986

There are PLENTY of these across Texas. A stretch I remember is US 380 between Denton and McKinney. Long sections of 65 mph and can get very congested with 6 lanes of traffic and built up subdivisions.

I'm sure there many areas that would have 70 and 75 mph and stoplights. It's not uncommon for 2 lane highways to be posted at those speeds in Texas.

iPhone

jwolfer

Quote from: bzakharin on January 18, 2018, 02:43:00 PM
It's not just US routes in NJ. State routes do this too. NJ 73 has a long 55 section from the Atlantic City Expressway to approaching NJ 70 with plenty of traffic lights (the rest of it is 50 MPH with even more frequent lights). I'm sure there are other four-lane state routes that are 55 MPH I just don't personally frequent. NJ 10 maybe?
NJ 34 from 33 south to the junction with 35/70. (At least the last time I was there in 1999)

Z981

jwolfer

Many if not most of the 4 lane divided US/SR highways in rural Florida have 60 or 65 MPH speed limits, however the approach to them have speed limit reduced to 45 or 50, so this may disqualify Florida for the OP criteria

Z981

CapeCodder

Until MO 364 came and tied into it, MO 94 was an excellent example. 55 MPH up until Zumbehl Road each intersection had lights.

RobbieL2415

MA 9 and US 6 (MA) both have 55mph Jersey freeway sections with stoplights.  I think US 20 does too, closer to Boston.

Also can't forget the temporary stoplights on I-690 in Syracuse, NY for the NY State Fair.

hotdogPi

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on January 20, 2018, 08:54:55 PM
I think US 20 does too, closer to Boston.

US 20 isn't a Jersey freeway anywhere near Boston.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

ftballfan

Michigan has a lot of 55 mph roads with stoplights. M-45 in Ottawa County comes to mind (the entire stretch is 55 and there are lights at US-31, M-231, 120th Ave, 68th Ave, 48th Ave, GVSU, 8th Ave, and 1st Ave; just past 1st Ave, M-45 enters Kent County and the speed limit drops to 45)

Not a stoplight, but M-37 and M-55 meet at a four way stop in southwestern Wexford County where both roads have a 65 mph speed limit.

If terminating roads count, M-55's western end has a stoplight and M-55 is 65 up to that point. M-231 would also qualify as both ends are at stoplights.

wanderer2575

Also in Michigan, M-5 (Haggerty Connector) is posted at 55 mph and has signals at 13 Mile, 14 Mile and Maple (15 Mile) roads.  The signals actually are pretty well timed for the posted speed limit, but it's always amusing watching motorists exceed the speed limit and jockey around each other to be the first to get to the next red light.
https://goo.gl/maps/eoC2K3zcpN72

barcncpt44

Alabama is known for this.  There is a traffic light on AL-21 north of Anniston in a 65 mph zone.  And US 431 has plenty.  There are two traffic lights and a caution light intersection in Alexandria all within a 1 1/2 mile stretch filled with stores, restaurants, and other businesses and it's 65 mph.  A state lawmaker is asking ALDOT to study a reduction in the speed limit to 55 mph.

A bland smile is like a green light at an intersection, it feels good when you get one, but you forget it the moment you're past it. -Doug Coupland

kphoger

Quote from: bassoon1986 on January 20, 2018, 06:24:00 PM
Texas ... I'm sure there many areas that would have 70 and 75 mph and stoplights.

I haven't run across any.

The closest I've seen to that are overhead flashing yellow lights, such as these on a 75-mph highway.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.