News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Freeways Named as Surface Streets

Started by webny99, July 20, 2018, 12:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Are there any freeways you're aware of that are named as a surface street, despite being a full freeway?
One example is MN 77, signed as Cedar Ave despite being a full freeway for around ten miles.

Not sure if this is a one-off case, or if this happens elsewhere. Never seen it done in my area.

vdeane

FDR Drive in NYC comes to mind.  They also have the reverse with a surface street named "Rockaway Freeway".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Eth

The only other one that comes to mind immediately is Wade Avenue from I-40 to I-440 in Raleigh.

A "Parkway" suffix probably doesn't count in and of itself, since I can think of plenty of freeways named that way, but I still submit Sugarloaf Pkwy in Lawrenceville, GA as an honorable mention as being an extension of a surface road of the same name.

bassoon1986

Skelly Dr in Tulsa (I-44) and
Kellogg Dr in Wichita (US 54/US 400)

may apply here. I don't know if they were so named that before they were made into freeways.

iPhone

tribar

ilpt4u

Poplar St Bridge across the Mississippi between STL and East STL

Also Page Ave/MO 364 west of I-270 in the STL area

jakeroot

In Vancouver,

- Knight St, from BC-91 to Marine Drive
- Golden Ears Way, from 192 St to Lougheed Hwy

Both are freeways relative to other Vancouver freeways, though are less impressive than an interstate.

In Denver,

- Peña Blvd (the airport freeway)

silverback1065

US 31 in Carmel, IN was known also as Meridian Street, they recently turned it into an interstate standard road, but it is still technically Meridian Street, and has address numbers attached to it.

BrianP

In Virginia is the highway within a highway: the Dulles Access Road and the Dulles Toll Road.

TheStranger

Quote from: Eth on July 20, 2018, 12:57:55 PM
The only other one that comes to mind immediately is Wade Avenue from I-40 to I-440 in Raleigh.

Several other North Carolina examples come to mind, mostly in Greensboro (Bryan Boulevard, plus the rarely-used names of Painter, Preddy, Fordham, and O'Henry)

In San Diego, maps used to mark the southern part of the Route 15 freeway as Wabash Boulevard (after the surface street the freeway supplanted in the 1960s) though I don't think this was ever signed.

In Edmonton, the AB 216 beltway is Anthony Henday Drive, the AB 2/AB 14 east-west freeway that leads to West Edmonton Mall is Whitemud Drive, and the short freeway that passes near the Oilers' old arena (Northlands Coliseum/Rexall Place) is Wayne Gretzky Drive.

Storrow Drive in Boston

The freeway portion of US 6 in Denver is 6th Avenue
Chris Sampang

ilpt4u

LSD was noted above, by tribar

This might be a bit of a stretch, but parts of the Avenue of the Saints are full freeway

froggie

webny99

Quote from: froggie on July 20, 2018, 02:54:21 PM
The past thread we had on the subject.

Wow. I'm 0-for-2 today.  :banghead:
And I had no idea how common this is... if I knew how many examples there were, I'd have been more likely to search for an existing topic.

bing101

CA-87 Guadalupe Parkway in San Jose is a Freeway.

Summerlin Parkway Las Vegas/Clark County area is a freeway.

Doyle Drive/Presidio Parkway in San Francisco is a Freeway going to the Golden Gate Bridge.

hotdogPi

Quote from: bing101 on July 20, 2018, 06:20:57 PM

Doyle Drive/Presidio Parkway in San Francisco is a Freeway going to the Golden Gate Bridge.

So we should include all the parkways in New York?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

ilpt4u

Quote from: 1 on July 20, 2018, 07:41:56 PM

And Kentucky?

Roadsguy

Woodhaven Road (PA 63) in Philadelphia is one example. As far as I know, this is the full proper name of the freeway itself, in addition to the frontage roads (which were originally just a surface road of the same name).

The recently upgraded southernmost section of PA 28 in Pittsburgh is labeled on Google Maps as East Ohio Street, which was the name of the old four-lane road. I have no idea if this is still the official name, though if it were, it wouldn't mean much as there's nothing fronting it anymore.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Scott5114

Airport Road (SH-152) in Oklahoma City.

If we're counting parkways, Lake Hefner Parkway (SH-74) also in Oklahoma City.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Beltway

Washington Boulevard in Arlington, VA
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

1995hoo

Portions of Kenilworth Avenue in PG County, Maryland. Some people, including some radio traffic reporters, extend the "Kenilworth Avenue" designation southwest to cover part of what is now designated DC-295. I believe in the District that name technically refers to the service roads but became the common name for the highway because there was no other useful designation for it when it didn't have a number.

I don't know if this one counts because when I was a kid it was a rural two-lane road that has now been rebuilt into a six-lane freeway: Most of Sully Road north of I-66 in Fairfax County, except for a very small segment just north of the Interstate. This is VA-28, the infamous "I-366 with an 85-mph speed limit" of forum lore (for those not familiar, that's a longstanding joke here, and the speed limit is a universally-ignored 55 mph). I say "I don't know if this one counts" because it's not clear to me whether the OP wants freeway-type roads that were built as such but given names as if they were surface streets, or whether roads rebuilt into freeways count. Certainly "Sully Road" was a perfectly normal name for the two-lane road and it's also perfectly normal to leave a road's name in place when it's upgraded. Not too many people still call it by its name, though–nowadays "Route 28" is more common (with "route" pronounced either way, "rout" or "root," depending on who's speaking).

(Edited to fix a typo. My iPad's autocorrect stubbornly insists on capitalizing "road" most of the time regardless of how I'm using the word, and I usually don't notice it. In this case, it had changed what I typed to read "perfectly normal name for the two-lane Road."  :angry:)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

froggie

QuoteSome people, including some radio traffic reporters, extend the "Kenilworth Avenue" designation southwest to cover part of what is now designated DC-295. I believe in the District that name technically refers to the service roads but became the common name for the highway because there was no other useful designation for it when it didn't have a number.

DDOT designates both the service roads and the mainline as Kenilworth Ave.

1995hoo

Quote from: froggie on July 21, 2018, 11:16:15 AM
QuoteSome people, including some radio traffic reporters, extend the "Kenilworth Avenue" designation southwest to cover part of what is now designated DC-295. I believe in the District that name technically refers to the service roads but became the common name for the highway because there was no other useful designation for it when it didn't have a number.

DDOT designates both the service roads and the mainline as Kenilworth Ave.

Thanks. I read somewhere that it was just the service roads, but I worded it the way I did because I wasn't sure. I kind of figured the usage had been around for such a long time that there had to be some legitimate reason for it!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Quote from: ilpt4u on July 20, 2018, 08:43:51 PM
Quote from: 1 on July 20, 2018, 07:41:56 PM
And Kentucky?

Parkways almost always have four lanes, a landscaped median, and some form of access control. Therefore, something called a "parkway" that is a full freeway doesn't exactly defy expectations - In fact, almost every parkway I can think of is either a freeway or expressway. Essentially, no, parkways are not what I'm looking for.

It would be much more interesting to discuss the reverse: surface streets/two-lane roads named as a "parkway". Thousand Islands Parkway comes to mind.

Eth

Quote from: webny99 on July 21, 2018, 11:58:46 AM
It would be much more interesting to discuss the reverse: surface streets/two-lane roads named as a "parkway". Thousand Islands Parkway comes to mind.

Eh, not really. Those aren't even remotely unusual; I could likely produce dozens of examples in metro Atlanta alone. Maybe not two lanes, necessarily, but very much surface roads with little to no access control.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.