News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

States with the most InterESTING Crossings

Started by webny99, April 27, 2021, 12:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

Nothing spectacular about CT border crossings.  The only interesting one is the HRP/Merritt with an exit in NY, the state line, then an immediate exit for the same road just after the state line that is (for now) 3 numbers lower than the exit on the NY side. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Rothman

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 28, 2021, 11:09:44 AM
Nothing spectacular about CT border crossings.  The only interesting one is the HRP/Merritt with an exit in NY, the state line, then an immediate exit for the same road just after the state line that is (for now) 3 numbers lower than the exit on the NY side.
Ferries to LI...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: Rothman on April 28, 2021, 12:10:28 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 28, 2021, 11:09:44 AM
Ferries to LI...

I've taken the Cross Sound Ferry between New London, CT and Orient Point, NY and it's a really cool experience.  Yes, that's the most spectacular entry to CT - the views you get during that trip are gorgeous.

OCGuy81

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 27, 2021, 11:12:27 PM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on April 27, 2021, 11:03:28 PM
I-5 entering Washington from Oregon is interesting as I think it's the only active drawbridge on the interstate system.

The Bridge of the Gods across the Columbia is cool too in that it carries the Pacific Crest Trail too.

I-5 over Siskiyou Summit is interesting too.  US 97 has a nice view of Mount Shasta entering California on clear days.  US 101 of course enters Washington via the Astoria Bridge. 

The transition between California and Oregon via US 199 is pretty interesting due to the Collier Tunnel. 

Totally agree on Siskiyou Summit and the US-101 Astoria bridge.  The latter always makes me nervous driving across.  There's a lot of winds along that span!

epzik8

Quote from: MCRoads on April 27, 2021, 11:17:53 PM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on April 27, 2021, 11:03:28 PM
I-5 entering Washington from Oregon is interesting as I think it's the only active drawbridge on the interstate system.

The Bridge of the Gods across the Columbia is cool too in that it carries the Pacific Crest Trail too.

It isn't, not by a long shot. The 3 other ones I can think of are the Woodrow Wilson Bridge on I-95, the Berkley Bridge on I-264, and the High Rise Bridge on I-64.

Here is a more extensive list:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Movable_bridges_on_the_Interstate_Highway_System
I-695 over the Curtis Creek as well. The Wilson Bridge is also I-495.

The Nice Bridge, American Legion Bridge and I-81 Potomac River bridge are good.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.