News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

A VERY unusual interchange

Started by WolfGuy100, September 22, 2011, 04:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: pianocello on September 23, 2011, 07:07:54 PM
Quote from: deanej on September 23, 2011, 02:35:27 PM
Looks like I-81 near Syracuse Airport: http://maps.google.com/?ll=43.115834,-76.13328&spn=0.019611,0.036049&t=m&z=15&vpsrc=6

There are many interchanges of that sort along Illinois Tollways (mainly the Tri-State)

Not quite like that one, and many of them are a lot saner.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Central Avenue on September 22, 2011, 07:41:44 PM
I'm reminded of the I-270/OH 3 interchange in Westerville, though that only uses this configuration for one side.
ODOT likes that design.
There's two interchanges like that in Cincy one on I-75 for the Western Hill Viaduct and another one on US 50 west of downtown, one in Youngstown at the NE corner of their "innerbelt", and another one in Coshocton of all places.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

ethanman62187

A 4 ramp cloverleaf. That suffers from weaving. I had never seen anything like this before.
I like all of this. I like va sr 28 to be an interstate highway.

TheStranger

Similar thing for the southbound Eastshore Freeway (west I-80/east I-580) at University Avenue in Berkeley -

http://g.co/maps/rafxn
Chris Sampang

hbelkins

Here's a view of the toll booth setup most commonly used in Kentucky. In this situation only the rightmost booth is manned, the center one is exact change only (you can tell that the sign is changeable, whereas the one for the leftmost booth isn't). This is eastbound on the Cumberland Parkway at the US 68/KY 80 Edmonton exit. Taken in the late 1990s.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

^^ Why not separate the plaza from the interchange and put a basket on the ramps?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on September 25, 2011, 07:16:27 PM
Here's a view of the toll booth setup most commonly used in Kentucky. In this situation only the rightmost booth is manned, the center one is exact change only (you can tell that the sign is changeable, whereas the one for the leftmost booth isn't). This is eastbound on the Cumberland Parkway at the US 68/KY 80 Edmonton exit. Taken in the late 1990s.

[photo]

is that button copy?  not something Kentucky is known for.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

No, not button copy. The last button copy sign in Kentucky was on southbound I-71 / I-75 for the KY 236 exit and it was mounted to one of the I-275 flyovers. It disappeared sometime between 1998 and 2000.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ethanman62187

So, a toll booth under a bridge. Never heard of anything like that before.
I like all of this. I like va sr 28 to be an interstate highway.

Brandon

Quote from: ethanman62187 on October 02, 2011, 10:26:20 AM
So, a toll booth under a bridge. Never heard of anything like that before.

Common in Oklahoma and Kentucky.

Scott5114

Kansas also used to have a tollbooth under the bridge at the southern terminus of the Kansas Turnpike, although the interchange was a typical config. It was removed when KTA needed to expand the capacity of the tollbooth.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

shadyjay

Quote from: Duke87 on September 22, 2011, 07:50:30 PM
I-91 exit 7 in Vermont is half like this, although there never was a toll there. In that case the reason seems to be so that the more popular traffic movement (towards Springfield) can make right turns onto and off of the ramps. The interchange is basically a half cloverleaf with the ramps modified to allow left turns.

Geography of that area lent to the placement of the ramps at that interchange.  If you view this shot of I-91 NB at the interchange, you'll see a bridge, then houses.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=43.264126,-72.433604&spn=0.005305,0.011362&t=m&vpsrc=6&z=17&layer=c&cbll=43.264126,-72.433604&panoid=XHdAa4vCo3-m7QTuxyHFdg&cbp=12,36.51,,0,1.19

I guess it would be possible to make the NB onramp leave on the same side as US 5 as the NB offramp does to eliminate the weaving, but this is I-91 in Vermont we're talking about - where the traffic levels are not that severe to warrant such a project.

And let's not forget that a very similar ramp configuration was in use for I-84 Exit 26 (CT 70) in CT up until a few years ago when it was converted to a diamond configuration.  The new ramp configurations required a little bit of rock removal, IIRC.

hobsini2

Quote from: Brandon on September 25, 2011, 07:33:42 PM
^^ Why not separate the plaza from the interchange and put a basket on the ramps?
My simple answer to this is money. Notice how ISTHA started eliminating people in the booths and made them exact change at O'Hare exits? The expansion of the IPASS express lanes also has taken jobs out of the booth.  While i like the new ORT lanes, just think about how much money the state agency is saving by not having to pay some one to be in the booths.  I believe this was also a hidden reasoning behind not separating the Mainline and Ramps collections.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

roadman65

You also want to consider when the interchange was built, and what funds were available at the time and the traffic demands at the time.  What is considered strange and unusual now, might of not been at the time of construction.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.