News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Freeways / Expressways given ordinary street names

Started by mrose, April 30, 2013, 12:18:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrose

This is meant to be a compliment to the "Highways that are city streets" thread.

I'll start with two here in Denver - 6th Ave (US 6) and Pena Blvd. (the airport spur). Both are full freeways.

J N Winkler

Wichita's one example is semi-famous:  Kellogg Avenue (US 54-400), which despite the name is a full freeway for 13 miles.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

MBHockey13

In Greensboro, Fordham Boulevard is I-40, Preddy Boulevard is Business (Green) I-85/US-29/US-70, and the new I-840 Loop will be Painter Boulevard. US-29 is called O.Henry Boulevard and is full freeway from I-40 to the city limits. Plus, Bryan Boulevard is almost full controlled access for its entire length, and Wendover Avenue is controlled access between Spring Garden and US-220.

briantroutman

Philadelphia has Roosevelt Boulevard (US 1), which does continue on as a surface street, but is a freeway for about three miles from the Schuylkill Expressway to 9th Street. The freeway portion is technically called "Roosevelt Expressway", but in my experience, nearly everyone calls it Roosevelt Boulevard–and sometimes just "the Boulevard".

New York has both FDR Drive and Harlem River Drive–basically two sections of the same freeway–on the east side of Manhattan Island.

San Francisco has (had) Doyle Drive, which I suppose could be considered a freeway, but is currently being dismantled. I have not seen a definite answer yet on whether the old name will be applied to the new Presidio Parkway.

amroad17

I-44 in Tulsa is named Skelly Drive.
The spur from exit 289 on I-40 to I-440 in Raleigh is named Wade Ave.
The freeway portion of US 70 in Durham is named Muldee Street.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

elsmere241

When I-90 in Seattle was a Super-2, it was called Lake Way.  Its RIRO intersections had street signs.

PHLBOS

Also in Philly, I-676 is referred to as either the Vine St. Expressway or Vine Expressway.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

1995hoo

A portion of Wade Avenue in Raleigh is freeway-grade, although back before they built the hockey arena they used to park cars on the grass median for NC State football games.

A small portion of Allen Road in Toronto is a freeway.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

oscar

In southwest Anchorage AK, the south end of Minnesota Dr., and the west end of O'Malley Rd., form a single L-shaped freeway, which is about five miles long and has six exits.  The freeway doesn't have its own name, nor is it assigned a route number, but the northern leg is sometimes known as the Minnesota Dr. Bypass.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

silverback1065

The Eisenhower Expressway in Chicago(290) was originally the Congress street expressway. All the Chicago expressways/Freeways and Tollways have names now but I think only the IKE held an actual street name.

Dr Frankenstein

Avenue Souligny in Montréal is a freeway between Dickson and Honoré-Beaugrand.

Brandon

Quote from: 3467 on April 30, 2013, 09:49:51 AM
The Eisenhower Expressway in Chicago(290) was originally the Congress street expressway. All the Chicago expressways/Freeways and Tollways have names now but I think only the IKE held an actual street name.

True, but it was the "Congress Street Expressway" for its full name.  When I-55 was built in 1956 through DuPage County, I think the name may have just been "Joliet Road" as that is what it replaced from Exit 268 to Exit 276C.

Part of the Calumet Expressway began as Doty Avenue; however, I am not sure from the maps I've seen where the name changed or if any of the expressway portion was "Doty Avenue".

Of course, there's always "Lake Shore Drive" which is mostly expressway or freeway.

Then we have the odd names such as the "Ohio Street Feeder Ramp".
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Pete from Boston

"Drive" seems to be the most common manifestation in urban areas, but when Boston's Storrow Drive reaches turns northeast at Beacon Hill it becomes either Embankment Road or David G. Mugar Way, depending on who you ask.

At its western end near the B. U. Bridge, it changes again to Soldiers Field Road. 

Some buildings even have an LSD address . That may be inner drive not outer drive

Brandon

Quote from: 3467 on April 30, 2013, 10:27:03 AM
Some buildings even have an LSD address . That may be inner drive not outer drive

It's both, even if there is no way to get to the Drive from the building.  It's more a matter of prestige than functionality.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Big John

I-43 bridge in Green Bay is referred as the "Tower Drive bridge" as the freeway was built where Tower Drive used to be.  But the pre-freeway road never crossed the Fox River.

A.J. Bertin

All the Chicago expressways/Freeways and Tollways have names now

I don't think I-57 does.
-A.J. from Michigan

Brandon

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on April 30, 2013, 12:32:27 PM
All the Chicago expressways/Freeways and Tollways have names now

I don't think I-57 does.

Technically, it does, as does I-80.

I-57 is the West Leg of the Dan Ryan Expressway.
I-80 is the Moline Expressway west of the Tri-State Tollway (I-294).

Henry

I-695 in Washington, DC crosses the Anacostia River on the 11th Street Bridges.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

AsphaltPlanet

Toronto's Allen Road is an expressway, as is Hamilton's Burlington Street.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

huskeroadgeek

I think in most cases, freeways with street names are either former surface streets that have been upgraded to freeway status or freeway extensions of surface streets. I wonder how many of the above were just given street-like names without falling into one of those two categories?

Pete from Boston

In the Philly chatter above I thought the first one that came to me was mentioned, but it wasn't: Woodhaven Rd.

NE2

Quote from: huskeroadgeek on April 30, 2013, 01:50:06 PM
I wonder how many of the above were just given street-like names without falling into one of those two categories?
Those are probably usually in large developments such as airports or Disney.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

WichitaRoads

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 30, 2013, 12:35:23 AM
Wichita's one example is semi-famous:  Kellogg Avenue (US 54-400), which despite the name is a full freeway for 13 miles.

Ya beat me to it! You think they will ever just call it Kellogg Expressway? I hope not. How about a new name? This could carry over to the Central States....

ICTRds

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.