Experimental Historic Green Asphalt Section of I-81 in VA

Started by djsinco, February 21, 2013, 03:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djsinco

There was a portion of I-81, both N and S between roughly Staunton and Lexington, VA. I remember driving on it in the late 1970's, and vaguely recollect signage stating it was an experimental and expensive type of asphalt. Over the years I have driven 81 through VA many dozens of times, and although it was difficult to see it clearly at night, some of it was still there as recently as 2006. Over the years, it steadily shrunk as most of it was repaved. I drove the length of the state last month, and was sad to see it was gone. I was unaware I could become attached to pavement of any kind, but I am way too nostalgic. Does anyone else remember this green asphalt, or has anyone seen it in use elsewhere? It had a nice smooth ride, and had above average traction as well.
3 million miles and counting

Alps

You mean green color, or green as in environmental? It sounds like open-graded friction course.

hbelkins

There is a lot of green-looking pavement on US 220 between Covington and the WV state line.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

djsinco

Quote from: Steve on February 21, 2013, 08:01:17 AM
You mean green color, or green as in environmental? It sounds like open-graded friction course.

It was green in color, about the color of a tennis court green.

Post Merge: February 21, 2013, 01:02:38 PM

Quote from: hbelkins on February 21, 2013, 12:36:38 PM
There is a lot of green-looking pavement on US 220 between Covington and the WV state line.

Looks like a nice road, I have never had the pleasure of using it. Perhaps someday...

hbelkins

djsinco

hbelkins: That looks about right. Also, that is a seriously strange pattern of patching going on in that picture. I wonder how long that green has been there!

hbelkins

That picture is nine years old. The green pavement may not be there any longer. There was also some on Business US 60 in Clifton Forge on that same trip.

Interestingly, while there was lots of green pavement on US 220 in Highland County, I didn't see any on US 250 when I drove it last spring.

xcellntbuy

Greenish looking pavement like that also exists on many town and county roads in southern Rensselaer County, New York.  There used to be lots of different colors (red, purple, garyish blue) of pavement on Interstate 80 in eastern Pennsylvania, as well.  I always assumed the color variations came from whatever color the stone, gravel and sand deposits were naturally mined out and manufactured into asphalt.

djsinco

Quote from: xcellntbuy on February 22, 2013, 09:20:22 PM
Greenish looking pavement like that also exists on many town and county roads in southern Rensselaer County, New York.  There used to be lots of different colors (red, purple, garyish blue) of pavement on Interstate 80 in eastern Pennsylvania, as well.  I always assumed the color variations came from whatever color the stone, gravel and sand deposits were naturally mined out and manufactured into asphalt.

Asphalt is a petroleum based product. It is almost always black. I have been driving the "Keystone Shortway" since the 1970's, and I never saw these exotic asphalt colors. Not that I am dubting your info; on the contrary, for most of those years, a death grip on the wheel and full attention to the buckled pavement was my primary objective. Each trip brought a new level of poor maintenance...

Alps

Quote from: djsinco on February 23, 2013, 02:13:15 AM
Quote from: xcellntbuy on February 22, 2013, 09:20:22 PM

Asphalt is a petroleum based product. It is almost always black. I have been driving the "Keystone Shortway" since the 1970's, and I never saw these exotic asphalt colors. Not that I am dubting your info; on the contrary, for most of those years, a death grip on the wheel and full attention to the buckled pavement was my primary objective. Each trip brought a new level of poor maintenance...
Well out west in Arizona where they have red rocks/red sand, the pavement is red. I've also seen white. The asphalt cement ittself appears to have little effect on the overall color compared to the rocks and fine particles.

NE2

Supposedly Florida's asphalt is lighter than other places because of the sun.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

xcellntbuy

Quote from: NE2 on February 23, 2013, 08:56:53 PM
Absolutely true.  Most roadways are bleached out to a light tan color within one year of a new layer of asphalt.

leroys73

Quote from: xcellntbuy on February 23, 2013, 09:52:59 PM
Absolutely true.  Most roadways are bleached out to a light tan color within one year of a new layer of asphalt.

West Texas Roads should be as white as fresh snow then.
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

djsinco

I think FL might use a different mix. It gets just as hot and humid in Houston, and the blacktop is black, although there is a very large percentage of concrete used for this very reason...

Bitmapped

djsinco

Now that I think about it, I have seen crushed but identifiable pieces of shell (as from a beach) in a hardened roadbed or two in FL...

roadman

BTW, why are we labeling a section of test pavement as "historic"?  Just because something is a) first, b) unique, and/or c) old, should not automatically qualify it as historic.  Or, as a friend of mine (a history major in college) has said "Not everything is worth preserving.  Some old things are just that - old things."

for the record, I believe very strongly in the basic principles behind historic preservation.  As such, the very loose interpertation of the term "historic" as used by many is a pet peeve of mine.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

1995hoo

This is Virginia and old stuff is revered here.  :-D

Our Supreme Court often seems to take the approach that if it ain't been ruled upon for a hundred years, ain't no need to rule on it now.

How many UVA alumni does it take to screw in a lightbulb? –30: One to change the bulb, one to mix the bourbon and Coke, and 28 to reminisce about how good the old light bulb was.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

djsinco

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.