News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Roadway width question

Started by Alias the J, January 26, 2019, 09:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alias the J

If the Holland Tunnel roadway is only 20' wide, why do the lanes appear to be narrower than 10'?  Are the lanes actually only 8'6" wide each?  The old Goethals was about the same width each side of the deck and I absolutely dreaded driving over it in a 6'3" wide Toyota Highlander.  On the other hand, the lanes on the GWB are 8'6" each but in the same Highlander I felt like I had a bit more space.

froggie

For starters, subtract at least 4-6" from each Holland Tunnel lane for the outside edge stripe.  Further subtract any space between the edge stripe and the "curb" (using that term loosely here).

cl94

There are a few reasons they don't let large trucks/buses through the Holland Tunnel. Width is one of those. Lincoln Tunnel is 1.5 feet wider.

But still, Holland Tunnel has 10 foot lanes, Lincoln has slightly wider. We have people on the forum who can confirm that (pinging Alps, who has given that 10 foot figure).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

NoGoodNamesAvailable

The Holland Tunnel doesn't have marked edge lines, but the full barrier line in the center takes up 18" of width. Someone else would have to confirm the actual roadway width.

8'—10' lane widths definitely aren't unheard of in the NY metro area. Some sections of the Jackie Robinson Pkwy, Bronx River Pkwy, and Queensboro Bridge have lane widths in the 8'—9' range.

The lanes on the GWB feel wider because cars in lane 2 (and lane 3 on the upper level) can move to the extreme edge of their lane when passing vehicles in the driving lane and the passing lane, since there's no curb or barrier on either side of their lane.

NE2

Quote from: cl94 on January 26, 2019, 10:05:15 PM
There are a few reasons they don't let large trucks/buses through the Holland Tunnel.
The NJT 120 is a full size bus.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

It's two 10' lanes, but that's centerline to edge of curb. So they feel like 9', which at speeds of over 30 mph feel narrower than that.

SignBridge

I drove thru the Holland Tunnel this week and the lanes did not seem unusually narrow to me though I agree they are probably ten ft. The old Goethal's Bridge was the worst though. Passing a semi in a mid-size sedan was a challenge.

Not sure about the upper level of the GWB, but they don't seem narrow to me. They may be close to 12 ft. now since the two original divider curbs are long gone that separated the main lanes from the original two reversible middle lanes. The lower level built in the 1960s' has to be 12 ft. lanes.

Beltway

Quote from: Alias the J on January 26, 2019, 09:07:46 PM
If the Holland Tunnel roadway is only 20' wide, why do the lanes appear to be narrower than 10'?  Are the lanes actually only 8'6" wide each?  The old Goethals was about the same width each side of the deck and I absolutely dreaded driving over it in a 6'3" wide Toyota Highlander.  On the other hand, the lanes on the GWB are 8'6" each but in the same Highlander I felt like I had a bit more space.

10-foot lanes with no shoulders is a -very- narrow roadway, and feels very narrow even in a medium sized car.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Alias the J

Quote from: SignBridge on January 29, 2019, 09:39:02 PM
I drove thru the Holland Tunnel this week and the lanes did not seem unusually narrow to me though I agree they are probably ten ft. The old Goethal's Bridge was the worst though. Passing a semi in a mid-size sedan was a challenge.

Not sure about the upper level of the GWB, but they don't seem narrow to me. They may be close to 12 ft. now since the two original divider curbs are long gone that separated the main lanes from the original two reversible middle lanes. The lower level built in the 1960s' has to be 12 ft. lanes.
PANYNJ's GWB page says the roadway is 90' wide.  90'/8 lanes (upper deck) = 11'3" (11.25') each lane.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.