April 6 2024 - Eclipse Totality Roadgeek Meet (updated 2/13/14)

Started by kharvey10, August 22, 2022, 12:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on August 25, 2022, 07:59:57 AM
Quote from: Rothman on August 25, 2022, 07:02:59 AM
Quote from: webny99 on August 24, 2022, 10:46:03 PM
Quote from: Rothman on August 24, 2022, 10:31:27 PM
Anyone staying in NY for the eclipse or, even sillier, heading north, is fooling themselves that they'll see anything but gray clouds.

If it was February or March, then yes. April is a more of a toss up, there's certainly a non-zero chance it will be clear or partially clear.

Oh, come on.  Totality crosses the cloudiest areas of New York, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Tug Hill...We're talking April 8th.  Sure, a non-zero chance...but you're talking about areas of the country where even on the days of the greatest chance of being clear (during the summer), that chance is still less than 70%.  On April 8th, you're looking at the chance of it being cloudy as more than 50%.  Weatherspark merely states that in Watertown in April, cloud cover is constant.

Western and central Upstate NY is simply one of the cloudiest areas of the entire country.  Sure, if you can't get out of Dodge, you're stuck with the high likelihood that it will be cloudy.  But, staying in NY if you really want to see the eclipse and have the means to head off to better climes, is just foolhardy.

The same Weatherspark says for Rochester, there's a 47% chance of being partly or mostly clear, 53% chance of partly or mostly cloudy. That's pretty much the definition of a toss up.

Taking another look at the graph that 7/8 posted in reply# 24, there's really not a huge difference between most of Texas and western NY. If you really want the greatest chance of clear weather, you have to go well into Mexico, and that's a whole different story. I also have anectodal experience of being in Texas in late March (San Antonio area, 1-2 weeks before the eclipse date) and it was cloudy when I arrived and at least partly cloudy for most of the stay until the final day, so that's not swaying me towards Texas either. No denying there is a greater chance of it being clear there, but for the big jump from around 50% down to almost 0%, you'd have to go to extreme western Texas or Mexico.
So...leave it up to a toss of a coin?  One out of two days is cloudy?  Fuhgettaboutit.

Head south, young man.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Jim

I know I'd absolutely get somewhere with more reliable weather if the timing of it allowed.  Realistically, it's likely a day trip or nothing for me in April.  Though looking at the recent history of cloudy days (according to https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2024-april-8), even Texas struggles to get below 50% chance of clouds.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

1995hoo

Quote from: Jim on August 25, 2022, 02:45:59 PM
I know I'd absolutely get somewhere with more reliable weather if the timing of it allowed.  Realistically, it's likely a day trip or nothing for me in April.  Though looking at the recent history of cloudy days (according to https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2024-april-8), even Texas struggles to get below 50% chance of clouds.

Mazatlan has a 28% chance of clouds, but I'm not sure I'd be keen on flying to Mexico for this. Even Del Rio, Texas, is in the 47% range.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alps

I saw a total eclipse in a tiny break in an overcast sky in Argentina. I'll take New York. Can we leave this discussion to the meet itself please.

vdeane

Perhaps the general eclipse discussion (at this point, basically the entire thread after the first few posts aside from a couple replies regarding the Facebook group) could be broken off into a separate thread?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on August 25, 2022, 09:20:06 PM
Perhaps the general eclipse discussion (at this point, basically the entire thread after the first few posts aside from a couple replies regarding the Facebook group) could be broken off into a separate thread?

Quote from: webny99 on August 22, 2022, 08:41:48 PM
However, it wouldn't hurt to split the non-meet related eclipse discussion to a separate thread. (I thought we already had a general 2024 eclipse thread, but now I can't find it...)

:cheers:

1995hoo

Or we could discuss that episode of the A-Team where they hypnotized B.A. so he would fall asleep whenever someone said "eclipse."

jpi

To be honest I am not sure on this one, it is happening the time of the year that my other hobby has a BIG spring diecast convention held at a random city in the mid west so depending on how that pans out will decide if Steph and I can view another eclipse like we did in 2017 when we met up with a few fellow AARoads members in McMinnville, TN just an hour away from our house.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

bandit957

Might as well face it, pooing is cool

SSOWorld

Quote from: jpi on August 26, 2022, 11:48:09 AM
To be honest I am not sure on this one, it is happening the time of the year that my other hobby has a BIG spring diecast convention held at a random city in the mid west so depending on how that pans out will decide if Steph and I can view another eclipse like we did in 2017 when we met up with a few fellow AARoads members in McMinnville, TN just an hour away from our house.
McMinnville, TN is not in the totality path. <1% of TN is.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

froggie

Quote from: SSOWorld on August 26, 2022, 12:06:06 PM

I read that as he met up with others in McMinnville during the 2017 event.

CtrlAltDel

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

SSOWorld

Quote from: froggie on August 26, 2022, 12:44:15 PM

I read that as he met up with others in McMinnville during the 2017 event.

Well, I suppose I did not  :ded: :pan:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

hbelkins

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on August 26, 2022, 03:04:02 PM

You ain't kiddin':

If Kentucky Bend is in the path of totality -- which it appears to be, based on the graphic above -- that would be a rather desolate place from which to view the darkness.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

kphoger

Oooooohhh!  This makes it really tempting to time a Mexico trip with the eclipse.  The town we always do mission work in is only a two-hour drive from Torreón.  And our friends live on the outskirts of town, away from the city lights.  And their house is two stories, with a balcony...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kharvey10

Keep in mind meet is a long term plan the hotels will likely be booked a year in advance for this event.  You cannot control Mother Nature this far out, and dad being at an advanced age (will be turning 80 less than two weeks after that event) means I will not be traveling far.

Laura

Is there a good state or national park/monument in Southern Illinois?

Mike and I saw the 2017 eclipse from Homestead National Historical Park in Beatrice, NE and what was really nice about it was that we took our time at the museum and on the grounds before and after the event so that we didn't have to deal with traffic. I think I read every single informational placard at the site!!! Before the eclipse, we stayed at a very inexpensive and nice Airbnb about 2 hours away in Columbus, NE (an entire single family house and pool to ourselves for cheaper than a hotel room). Since it was outside of totality there was no reason for our host to raise the price.

I would be open to doing something like that again. It was a great excuse to visit parts of the country that I otherwise might not visit. Plus it was fun to be at a national site with other people (including Bill Nye the Science Guy, who I got a selfie with!!!)

Alps

Quote from: Laura on January 20, 2023, 03:27:55 PM

Mike and I saw the 2017 eclipse from Homestead National Historical Park in Beatrice, NE and what was really nice about it was that we took our time at the museum and on the grounds before and after the event so that we didn't have to deal with traffic. I think I read every single informational placard at the site!!! Before the eclipse, we stayed at a very inexpensive and nice Airbnb about 2 hours away in Columbus, NE (an entire single family house and pool to ourselves for cheaper than a hotel room). Since it was outside of totality there was no reason for our host to raise the price.

I would be open to doing something like that again. It was a great excuse to visit parts of the country that I otherwise might not visit. Plus it was fun to be at a national site with other people (including Bill Nye the Science Guy, who I got a selfie with!!!)
come up to Quebec with me! enjoy poutine!

Laura

Quote from: Alps on January 20, 2023, 04:03:56 PM
Quote from: Laura on January 20, 2023, 03:27:55 PM

come up to Quebec with me! enjoy poutine!

But clouds!

Anyway, I found some Southern IL eclipse info from 2017 that provides some ideas: https://southernillinoiseclipse.com/the-eclipse/places-to-watch

US 89

The easiest way to see this eclipse from Florida, which is also the most climatologically favored, is going to be to drive to someplace in Texas. It's on a Monday, so ideally I'd make a long weekend out of it.

kharvey10

Bad news is that I didn't get the outcome I was hoping for with work regarding vacation (too many requested that weekend off so it got blacked out) so I have to change the plans considerably.  More detail information will be coming in due course.

jpi

My plans have been updated for this, I will be doing a toy show in Nobelsville, IN that Sunday, staying in the metro Indy area Sunday night then driving the new I-69 to Bloomington where I will camp out at a shopping center parking lot like we did in 2017 in McMinnville TN and witness the eclipse then drive home from there
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.