News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Control Cities That Skip Entire States on the Route

Started by Laplace, January 28, 2019, 05:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laplace

What are some freeways/highways that list a control city from two states over, completely ignoring the next state over? I'm aware of the infamous ones like New York for I-95 North in Baltimore and Miami for I-95 South in Virginia.

Some ones I can think of:

I-10 East in Tucson uses El Paso, Texas, completely skipping over New Mexico. Arizona, along with Utah and Nevada are western states that are infamous for skipping over moderately-sized cities for controls and using a really far away major city. Las Cruces is where the I-10/I-25 split is located, but El Paso is only about 50 miles away and a much bigger city than Las Cruces. Although I-10 West in El Paso doesn't reciprocate and uses Las Cruces rather than Tucson.

I-15 North in Las Vegas uses Salt Lake City and I-15 South in Salt Lake City reciprocates and uses Las Vegas, skipping Arizona. Although this is completely understandable, since I-15 in Arizona is only 30 miles and there are only very small towns on the route.

I-95 South in Providence uses New York City, which skips Connecticut. However, I-95 North in New York City doesn't reciprocate and uses New Haven for I-95 North.

Roadgeekteen

I-80 in Ohio skips Pennsylvania and New Jersey and signs New York.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Brandon

I-57 south (primary control) is for Memphis in Illinois, completely skipping Missouri and Arkansas, and going past the end of I-57.

I-94 in Michigan has a primary control of Chicago, skipping Indiana.

I-80 in Illinois used to have a primary control of Toledo, east of Joliet, again, skipping Indiana.  Now, the control is Indiana.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

PHLBOS

In anticipation of the I-95/PA Turnpike ramps that opened late last September, many of the northbound signs for I-95 that once read Trenton were changed to read New York last summer... thereby skipping over NJ.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

pianocello

I-64 in Louisville has St. Louis as a control city, skipping two states: Illinois and Indiana.

I want to say there's at least one mention of St. Louis on I-24 south of the Ohio River as well, which would skip at least Illinois, but I couldn't find one when I quickly scanned Google Street View.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

ilpt4u

I-70 in Indiana is signed with a westbound Control of St Louis, in Indiana, skipping IL

I-64 in Illinois is signed with an eastbound Control of Louisville, after crossing the Mississippi into East St Louis, IL, skipping IN

I-64 in Louisville, KY and in Indiana is signed with a westbound Control of St Louis, skipping IL

I-24 in Illinois is signed with an eastbound Control of Nashville in Southern IL, skipping KY

I-24 in Kentucky is (kinda) signed with a westbound Control of St Louis, skipping IL...and the other minor issue that I-24 doesn't actually make it to STL

hbelkins

In Maryland, I-95 northbound is signed for NYC, skipping three states -- Delaware, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

21stCenturyRoad

In Hardeeville, SC,  the control city changes from Savannah to Jacksonville, skipping over Georgia.

The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie even if everyone believes it.

ftballfan

The Ohio Turnpike westbound uses Chicago as a control city in western Ohio (west of Toledo)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: ilpt4u on January 28, 2019, 06:49:42 PM
I-70 in Indiana is signed with a westbound Control of St Louis, in Indiana, skipping IL

I-64 in Illinois is signed with an eastbound Control of Louisville, after crossing the Mississippi into East St Louis, IL, skipping IN

I-64 in Louisville, KY and in Indiana is signed with a westbound Control of St Louis, skipping IL

I-24 in Illinois is signed with an eastbound Control of Nashville in Southern IL, skipping KY

I-24 in Kentucky is (kinda) signed with a westbound Control of St Louis, skipping IL...and the other minor issue that I-24 doesn’t actually make it to STL
STL is egregious because it's not even signed on I-57 so a motorist would have no way of knowing how to get to St. Louis.

2021 update: spelling

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TheHighwayMan3561

I seem to recall Duluth being signed on M-28 west of the US 41 split, skipping Superior and thus Wisconsin. 
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ilpt4u

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 28, 2019, 09:30:00 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on January 28, 2019, 06:49:42 PM

I-24 in Kentucky is (kinda) signed with a westbound Control of St Louis, skipping IL...and the other minor issue that I-24 doesn't actually make it to STL
STL is egregious because it's not even signed on I-57 so a morrist would have no way of knowing how to get to St. Louis.
IDOT directs I-24 West traffic heading for St Louis to use I-57 North to I-64 West, approaching the I-24 Western (Northern) terminus @ I-57, via BGSs - first to Follow I-57 North, before merging onto I-57, then when continuing on I-57, to use I-64 in Mt Vernon

That said, I would have no issue with a seemingly senseless I-57/I-24 multiplex between Marion and Mt Vernon, with St Louis and Chicago as co-Controls on that segment

I-64 West does Multiplex with I-57 North around Mt Vernon, so that I-24 West traffic that defaults onto I-57 North will naturally, in about 50 miles, see St Louis as a Control, when 57 and 64 merge together

RobbieL2415

End of I-195 in Providence has only New York as the control for I-95 S.

Revive 755

Quote from: pianocello on January 28, 2019, 06:44:51 PM
I want to say there's at least one mention of St. Louis on I-24 south of the Ohio River as well, which would skip at least Illinois, but I couldn't find one when I quickly scanned Google Street View.

It's not on the mainline, but there is this sign on the NB road between US 45 and US 62.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 28, 2019, 10:13:06 PM

It's not on the mainline, but there is this sign on the NB road between US 45 and US 62.
The Entrance Controls for I-24 at Paducah Interchanges are Nashville (east) and St Louis (west)

Jmiles32

Roanoke VA is the control city for I-81 southbound in Hagerstown MD, skipping over West Virginia.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: Laplace on January 28, 2019, 05:15:30 PM
What are some freeways/highways that list a control city from two states over, completely ignoring the next state over? I'm aware of the infamous ones like New York for I-95 North in Baltimore and Miami for I-95 South in Virginia.

Some ones I can think of:

I-10 East in Tucson uses El Paso, Texas, completely skipping over New Mexico. Arizona, along with Utah and Nevada are western states that are infamous for skipping over moderately-sized cities for controls and using a really far away major city. Las Cruces is where the I-10/I-25 split is located, but El Paso is only about 50 miles away and a much bigger city than Las Cruces. Although I-10 West in El Paso doesn't reciprocate and uses Las Cruces rather than Tucson.

When this was first posted in the 1960s (?), Las Cruces was a much smaller city than it is now. The city population is over 100,000 and Doña Ana County probably adds that much more. Plus, being an Interstate highway junction, I think it is the next city east of Tucson that meets control city criteria.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

hbelkins

Quote from: ilpt4u on January 28, 2019, 10:18:44 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on January 28, 2019, 10:13:06 PM

The Entrance Controls for I-24 at Paducah Interchanges are Nashville (east) and St Louis (west)

Yes, beginning at the US 68 exit.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

thenetwork

I-15 South from SLC uses Las Vegas, skipping over Arizona.
(I know -- too easy!)

sparker

Quote from: thenetwork on January 29, 2019, 10:37:44 AM
(I know -- too easy!)

Similarly I-70 in western Colorado, skipping both UT and AZ (or at least the last time I was on that route!).  I wonder if the growth of St. George (UT) will at some point effect a control-city sign change.

US 89

Quote from: sparker on January 29, 2019, 11:57:59 AM
Similarly I-70 in western Colorado, skipping both UT and AZ (or at least the last time I was on that route!).  I wonder if the growth of St. George (UT) will at some point effect a control-city sign change.

In and west of Grand Junction, the control city is now simply "Utah":

See how "Utah" is on a greenout? That control city used to be Green River, a little town of less than 1000 most notable as the junction of US 6 and I-70!

I know there are at least a few Las Vegas signs at some of the I-70 exits west of Richfield, but the bottom line on the mileage signs is "Jct I-15".

As for St. George: I'd love to see that happen, but Utah seems to like its faraway control cities too much for that to change. If Provo can't be its own control city from Salt Lake, I see no reason why St. George would get that status. (Meanwhile, Ogden is a full control city, but that seems to be more of a function of the I-15/84 junction there.)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: sparker on January 29, 2019, 11:57:59 AM
Quote from: thenetwork on January 29, 2019, 10:37:44 AM
(I know -- too easy!)

Vegas is still much bigger and more famous.

corco

US 212 east in Montana goes from Broadus, MT to Belle Fourche, SD, skipping Wyoming. 212 west in SD does not do that, using "WY State Line" as the control city.

US 2 (west of Libby) in Montana uses Spokane, Washington instead of Sandpoint or Bonner's Ferry, Idaho

US 95 south of I-84 in Idaho and north of I-80 in Winnemucca use Winnemucca and Boise, respectively, as control cities, skipping Oregon. Oregon, of course, uses "Jordan Valley" and "Ontario"

Takumi

Quote from: hbelkins on January 28, 2019, 06:55:13 PM
In Maryland, I-95 northbound is signed for NYC, skipping three states -- Delaware, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey.
There was also at one time a New York sign on I-95 in NoVA.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: corco on January 29, 2019, 12:30:44 PM
US 212 east in Montana goes from Broadus, MT to Belle Fourche, SD, skipping Wyoming. 212 west in SD does not do that, using "WY State Line" as the control city.

US 2 (west of Libby) in Montana uses Spokane, Washington instead of Sandpoint or Bonner's Ferry, Idaho
US 212 in Wyoming really does not go or connect to anywhere.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.