News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricw24

Big John

Ricw24

machias

Ricw24

Quote from: machias on April 15, 2021, 09:28:21 PM
Quote from: Ricw24 on April 15, 2021, 08:02:59 PM
Quote from: Big John on April 15, 2021, 07:54:46 PM
^^ That is actually Helvetica.
Sorry my bad

Those signs are very old. I'm guessing maybe 20+ years old?

The exit tab style is also different from the current Thruway style so I am assuming it is.

thenetwork

Quote from: machias on April 15, 2021, 09:28:21 PM
Quote from: Ricw24 on April 15, 2021, 08:02:59 PM
Quote from: Big John on April 15, 2021, 07:54:46 PM
^^ That is actually Helvetica.
Sorry my bad

Those signs are very old. I'm guessing maybe 20+ years old?

They are probably closer to 25 years old.

And still the I-190 "pull-through" sign still has an error: 

The sign leads you believe that the exit TO I-190 North / Niagara Falls is 5 Miles Ahead, in the same vein as the Beaver Park exit being 1/4-mile ahead.  Or better yet, like an Illinois Tollway next exit sign.

When in fact the sign is really trying to say is that you are ALREADY on I-190 North, and the distance to Niagara Falls (city limit, not the actual falls) is 5 miles. 

Confused?

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

fwydriver405

A little cheap, pt. II? I came across this I-95 assembly in Portsmouth NH on 2021/04/13, which kinda reminded me of a similar assembly from Alp's I-95 New Hampshire page (first picture on the top):

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on April 16, 2021, 11:16:26 AM
Around here, that's known as Arialveticverstesk.

I know that was Jake's preferred nomenclature, because Arial, Helvetica, Univers, and Akzidenz-Grotesk do all look fairly similar to one another at first glance. But I prefer to note which of the four a specific sign is, because it reveals a little bit about the person who made it:

• Arial means a rank amateur was put in charge of making a sign, who probably barely knows what fonts are other than being able to tell the difference between serif and sans-serif, so they just go with the first sans-serif they can think of. (The same is true of the choice of any Windows system font, such as Franklin Gothic.)
  • Helvetica indicates the person was in charge of a sign has a little bit of design experience, enough to know that Helvetica is considered preferable to Arial. They also probably know that Helvetica is the designer's default sans-serif of choice, so it's probably safe to go with. They may be familiar with New York subway signage, or some other context that Helvetica is used on signage, and reason that it would make sense to be on a road sign too.
  • I've never seen Univers or Akzidenz-Grotesk on a road sign, but I would expect that someone choosing one of those fonts knows full well that they don't have the right font and just don't have a copy of FHWA Series or Clearview installed, so they probably looked through all of the fonts that they did have trying to find something that was a reasonably close match.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

odditude

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 16, 2021, 03:37:42 PM
Helvetica indicates the person was in charge of a sign has a little bit of design experience, enough to know that Helvetica is considered preferable to Arial.

...or they're a rank amateur using a Mac instead of Windows  :-P

kphoger

Quote from: odditude on April 16, 2021, 04:24:49 PM

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 16, 2021, 03:37:42 PM
Helvetica indicates the person was in charge of a sign has a little bit of design experience, enough to know that Helvetica is considered preferable to Arial.

...or they're a rank amateur using a Mac instead of Windows  :-P

That's the correct answer.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Ricw24

StogieGuy7

Ricw24

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on April 19, 2021, 11:42:00 AM
The offspring of an interstate and a MD state highway.

Kinda reminds me of the Chinese Expressway Marker

Scott5114

Quote from: Ricw24 on April 19, 2021, 11:22:25 AM
This.

https://goo.gl/maps/RhisUL9khGVnY2AC9

Oh hey, it's this thing again.

I've always thought that would be a good design for a "future interstate" marker. Like it's the marble block an Interstate shield gets chiseled out of, or something like that.

formulanone

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 19, 2021, 03:21:43 PM
Quote from: Ricw24 on April 19, 2021, 11:22:25 AM
This.

https://goo.gl/maps/RhisUL9khGVnY2AC9

Oh hey, it's this thing again.

I've always thought that would be a good design for a "future interstate" marker. Like it's the marble block an Interstate shield gets chiseled out of, or something like that.

There's has to be a short story behind those signs; it probably involves 1) adamant desire to denote nearest interstate 2) pre-cut blanks 3) no working metal cutter 4) signs need to be up...yesterday.

Scott5114

I don't know why you wouldn't just print the shield on a black background like Wisconsin does, in that case. Maybe it was somebody from Maryland or Minnesota that designed the shield.

Bobby5280

Quote from: Scott5114Arial means a rank amateur was put in charge of making a sign, who probably barely knows what fonts are other than being able to tell the difference between serif and sans-serif, so they just go with the first sans-serif they can think of. (The same is true of the choice of any Windows system font, such as Franklin Gothic.)

In the commercial sign industry there is an army of hacks who frequently use default Arial regardless how visually toxic the typeface can look combined with other letter styles. Arial is ugly enough on its own. It gets even more hideous when people artificially squeeze or stretch it to fit any space.

Some of the people who use Arial in knee-jerk fashion are newbies who don't know any better. But I've seen plenty of people who have worked in the sign industry many years who do the same thing out of sheer laziness. Those are the guys I want to punch in the mouth. There's no excuse for it but they do it anyway, despite probably having at least an acceptable font collection. Every copy of CorelDRAW comes with 1000 decent quality fonts. An Adobe Creative Cloud subscription gains access to the Adobe Fonts service featuring over 2000 type families from dozens of different type foundries. Google Fonts has dozens of good quality typefaces; some are even Variable Fonts. Speaking of Variable Fonts, some of those are pretty amazing.

Anyway, it takes a real dunder-head to stick Arial in a highway sign layout.

Quote from: Scott5114Helvetica indicates the person was in charge of a sign has a little bit of design experience, enough to know that Helvetica is considered preferable to Arial. They also probably know that Helvetica is the designer's default sans-serif of choice, so it's probably safe to go with. They may be familiar with New York subway signage, or some other context that Helvetica is used on signage, and reason that it would make sense to be on a road sign too.

Helvetica has an enduring popularity, given its history. It has a clean, neutral look. But it doesn't go with everything. Sometimes when I see Helvetica in use I suspect the person who did the design work was using a Mac. Various weights of Helvetica and Helvetica Neue have been included in the MacOS (and iOS) for decades. So it can end up being just as bad a default as Arial, even though Helvetica isn't nearly as ugly as Arial.

Quote from: Scott5114I've never seen Univers or Akzidenz-Grotesk on a road sign, but I would expect that someone choosing one of those fonts knows full well that they don't have the right font and just don't have a copy of FHWA Series or Clearview installed, so they probably looked through all of the fonts that they did have trying to find something that was a reasonably close match.

Univers and especially Akzidenz Grotesk aren't as widely available as Arial or even Helvetica. If I see either in use I wonder if they're actually knock-off fonts. CorelDRAW has a number of them. Zurich is an imitation of Univers. Gothic 725 is an imitation of Akzidenz Grotesk. You have to go back a really long way to find the real Akzidenz Grotesk bundled with any graphics software. I got the full AG family in Postscript Type 1 format as a bundle with Adobe Illustrator 4 back in the early 1990's. Those are really old T1 font files with limited character sets. I'll have to make conversions of them fairly soon if I want to use them in the future. Adobe is dropping Type 1 font support from all its software over the next year or two.

BTW, I have actually seen Univers (or more likely Zurich) used on a couple turnpike signs back in the 1990's.

JoePCool14

RE: The Arial debate

As bad as Arial is, have any of you seen how Arial looks on Chrome OS? It makes Windows Arial look like heavenly in comparison.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

1995hoo

A comment HTM Duke made in the "Reversible Lanes" thread prompted me to look at Street View for Harry S. Truman Drive in Largo, Maryland, to see what it looks like now, as I haven't been that way in quite a few years.

I found the rather peculiar LGS on the left. Not too informative, is it??!!!!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 22, 2021, 08:43:14 AM
A comment HTM Duke made in the "Reversible Lanes" thread prompted me to look at Street View for Harry S. Truman Drive in Largo, Maryland, to see what it looks like now, as I haven't been that way in quite a few years.

And it's not even accurate, there should technically be 3 down arrows :bigass:

(I'm assuming it used to display [insert name of sports arena demolished in that area]?)
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

1995hoo

Quote from: jmacswimmer on April 22, 2021, 08:50:13 AM

(I'm assuming it used to display [insert name of sports arena demolished in that area]?)

The Capital Centre (also periodically known to some people as USAir Arena or US Airways Arena at various times). I can't say as I recall whether it ever said that, simply because it's just been too long since I last visited the Capital Centre, which was demolished in 2002. The road configuration was different when I was growing up–there was no overpass over Central Avenue for traffic going to the arena and instead you exited to the right via what was more like a glorified jughandle that curved back around and crossed Central Avenue at grade. Also, the rest of the area was far less developed than it is now and I don't recall whether there were other roads intersecting that one prior to reaching the arena parking lots. Historic Aerials has a long gap between 1981 and 1993.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jmacswimmer

A little more GSV clicking in the area revealed 2 signs on Largo Center Drive (which intersects Harry S. Truman Drive in the GSV you linked above):

-Another covered-up sign like the one you linked
-A sign that appears to have been forgotten about, displaying "USAir Arena"
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

HTM Duke

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 22, 2021, 09:09:30 AM
Quote from: jmacswimmer on April 22, 2021, 08:50:13 AM

The Capital Centre (also periodically known to some people as USAir Arena or US Airways Arena at various times). I can't say as I recall whether it ever said that, simply because it's just been too long since I last visited the Capital Centre, which was demolished in 2002. The road configuration was different when I was growing up–there was no overpass over Central Avenue for traffic going to the arena and instead you exited to the right via what was more like a glorified jughandle that curved back around and crossed Central Avenue at grade. Also, the rest of the area was far less developed than it is now and I don't recall whether there were other roads intersecting that one prior to reaching the arena parking lots. Historic Aerials has a long gap between 1981 and 1993.

Those blank signs did say USAir Arena, as they were installed as part of a improvement project around 1995 to convert the old jughandle exit into the interchange it is today.  (It could be argued that it was a waste of time and money too, as Abe Pollin shortly thereafter moved the Wizards and Capitals downtown to his then-new MCI Center in 1997.)  Now-replaced signage on MD-214 east originally said USAir Arena as well, and was later greened out or patched over with Largo Town Center.  The same went for signage on the ramp to H S Truman north itself.

Quote from: jmacswimmer on April 22, 2021, 09:34:09 AM
A little more GSV clicking in the area revealed 2 signs on Largo Center Drive (which intersects Harry S. Truman Drive in the GSV you linked above):

-Another covered-up sign like the one you linked
-A sign that appears to have been forgotten about, displaying "USAir Arena"

Welp, that cat's out of the bag.  I've actually known about that last sign you linked to for a long time now.  (I found it by accident while cruising along Largo Center Dr about ten years ago.)  I've never linked to it out of a fear that Maryland would send out a crew to finish the job, and remove the final reference to a place that once was.
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.